Howto
Years ago

How do you stop Cedric Jackson ?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to stop/hinder the impact of Cedric Jackson ? He has been on a player tear lately, scoring as well as getting his teammates involved. Do you deny him the ball on an inbound pass after you score ? Allowing Bruton, Corletto or Abercrombie to bring up the ball. This must be a better look from a defensive perspective than having him run exactly what he wants at the point. Suggestions ?

Topic #29950 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul W, I admire your resourcefulness, leaving no stone unturned in your efforts to get a win this season. Maybe you could list 10 possible tactics, us armchair coaches could vote, and then you try the winning suggestion?

We'll watch on NBL TV to see how you go. Give us a wave, if you can.

Reply #387667 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ LMAO

maybe put some traffic lights at the top of the key and keep the light red when Cedric has it?

Reply #387670 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

1. Tie his shoelaces together

Reply #387672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go under all ball screens and make him beat you with the jumper from outside.

He is too good when he gets in the paint.

Reply #387674 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

and then he hits the open 3 like he been so far this season.

Reply #387676 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Honestly, they should just defend him like NBA teams do Rondo.

At least try it for one or two possessions.

By watching all his games, I sense that he isn't comfortable with the mid-range pullup.
The only reason he makes 3-pointers is generally because he has a lot of time to line them up

Reply #387677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Q How do you stop Cedric Jackson ?

A You don't.

You play him straight up and he will get 15-19 points and 5-9 assists and be the best player in the league, and you try to keep Mika, Corletto, Abercrombie etc quiet and keep the game in the 70s

Reply #387679 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Eddie Gill actually outplayed Jackson last year in the playoffs for my money. Played fantastic defense on Jackson and took him out of his comfort zone. So I'd say watch the tape and do what Eddie did.

For this specific game, I'd try switching Blanchfield onto him and see if his length gives Jackson problems, playing Ervin on Corletto, and then PC on Abercrombie.

Reply #387692 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

4th in the league for 3pt shots made because defenders are sagging off.

Not working.

Reply #387695 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

BUT last time he played Townsville he had 5/4/7 on 1-7 shooting with 4 turnovers.

Reply #387696 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Do like we always do...let them score inside at will and live and die on the 3pt line.

Reply #387698 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Call immigration and tell them his Visa ran out and have him shipped back to the U.S before the game starts?

Reply #387703 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Take away his strengths. Give him room to shoot and go behind every on ball. Zone will work for him but Corletto, CJ or Abercrombie could make you suffer. Consider it when Boucher, Vukona and Jackson are on the court together. Ignore his 3 point percentage as close observation will show that his high 3pt% this year is more arse than skill. Just check how far his misses miss by. His 3pt percentage will soon fall into the low .300 or below. Foul him every time you can as he is Shaq like from the line. Terrible technique as his follow through drifts of to the right.
The one thing that is certain is that if you let him get into the paint he will kill you.

And finally box him out as he is a great rebounder.

Reply #387714 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Isaac as you've never resorted to this type of humour b4 is it possible this post has come from Paul W?

Reply #387715 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Foul him when he drives and put him on the line. Thats the best I can think of, last week his passing was unbelievable

Reply #387716 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Resorted! Haha. No, I have no reason to believe that it's Woolpert. I was just inspired by Mick's Crocs "newspaper article" post the other week.

Reply #387717 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Eddie Gill actually outplayed Jackson last year in the playoffs for my money. Played fantastic defense on Jackson and took him out of his comfort zone. So I'd say watch the tape and do what Eddie did.

for the most part of last year he was also injured, this season not so much.

Reply #387718 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

We all know that NBL Coaches scan this forum for coaching tips !

Reply #387726 | Report this post

How do you stop Cedric Jackson you ask? Foul him, send him to the free throw line. He can barley sink them. Also clog the lane with big men to stop him penetrating.

Reply #388109 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Woeful 44% from the field. FG and 3P are up, but his FT numbers have dropped.

I also think he's played mostly teams from the weaker end of the ladder. Lost to Perth, obviously. Apart from that, they had Adelaide over in NZ and are yet to tackle the Hawks. They've had the Crocs three times already, and twice at home.

Reply #388129 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Ha @isaac
reminds me of the very first is that you Phil? retort

Reply #388135 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754