Peter Maravich
Years ago

Sturt Sabres - Champion Club

Congratulations to Sturt on winning the Trevor Martin SA Champion Club award.

They also won the female state champion club while west took home the male state champion club.

...here's what i would like to know.

What separates Sturt from the other clubs. What does their junior program do that others lack? Do they simply have more players, or better coaches, or good astrological signs. What is it???

(centrals people...perhaps you should get out a pen and paper...maybe learn something instead of starting threads to whinge and be defensive, no pun intended.)

Topic #2996 | Report this topic

Pandora  
Years ago

Firstly, why have a sledge at Centrals? .Secondly, the reason that Sturt do it so well is they are not all their own kids. Lets look at the grades. Ill start with the state girls because that is the grade they won. Under 12 girls 2 from other clubs, 14 girls 3 from other clubs, 16 girls 3 from other clubs, 18 girls 2 from other clubs. oh my god ! I think their 21s are all their own kids. That is just their division 1s. I won't name names because it is not necessary. What proves my point?

Well look at the boys. A higher percentage of these kids are theirs. 12 were great 14s did well I suppose with injuries but still not all their kids. 16 boys were blown away in their semi. 18 Boys lost their semi with the best big kid in the competition. 20s nothing.So its not their coaching that is doing it for them. Maybe they need to look at the rotation policy and make some changes.
Well done to West! It shows with a lot of hard work what a club can acheive. I think a lot of clubs would have been happy to see them win it.
Sturt's coaches are over rated but are made to look good by the players that go play at Sturt. Mesche and Butler are both excellent coaches but the rest I must say are average.

And lets face it if North Adelaide had nominated their Under 21 girls (and with Phillips eligible) then North would have won the girls and overall so really North lost it and Sturt didn't win it. Why North didn't nominate their 21 girls will remain a basketball mystery.

So really Sturt stars were shining on them for this weekend and North were asleep and not nominating the 21s cost them dearly.

Maybe a good question is why Forestville bomb out so badly. I think they ended up 5th or 6th.

Reply #34164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work Sturt

I think Sturt is more competitive

Don't say anything that could offend, all clubs have their great junior programs, just Sturt is doing best with it

Reply #34167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sturt's coaches are over rated but are made to look good by the players that go play at Sturt. Mesche and Butler are both excellent coaches but the rest I must say are average."

What about Wayne Beaumont?

Reply #34172 | Report this post

Pandora  
Years ago

What about him? What had he done before he got great teams at Sturt.

Reply #34173 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

Flynn, Ragoni, ... sturt has a deep coaching roster, perhaps demonstrated by its need to rotate coaches. If only my club had that problem...

what about west. Why is their junior program succeding. What are they doing to differeniate from all others?

Reply #34174 | Report this post

Pandora  
Years ago

Obviously developing kids and working on kids in their area. I know they have country kids but seem to be working hard at it. And they also don't have a domestic competition.

Reply #34175 | Report this post

Wayne Beaumont  
Years ago

well well well - Under 12 girls - 2 from other clubs - I am the coach - there are 4 from other clubs - I have never run out and chased these kids - they spoke to us. One came from Sth Adelaide and it was because their Under 12 girls training was placed at 4:30pm on a Thursday - tell me what working parent can get their 10 year old kid to attend that? Their original club did not cater for them - the player has also developed unbelievably in our "average" program coached by "average" coaches (2 have come from other clubs and thank their lucky stars for being able to coach in such a professional organisation). One came from Mavs because they weren't happy with what was being offered even though it involved a great deal more travel and expense. The other 2 kids came from Forestville and one's parents tell me that she was told she would not make their Div 1 team ..... I have been very happy to have her and she has shown some real talent. The other kid came after Under 10's because the parents moved her older sister and were so impressed by what was happening that they moved the rest of the family. One other child came from the country also and trained with 2 clubs and chose the one that they felt would best meet thier needs. 14 girls - 1 came from West and the parents were told at a meeting with their JDO that he wasn't that interested in girls basketball another was part of the family previously mentioned. The third was unhappy with their previous club that their son was moved to Norwood and daughter moved to us at Sturt. The other thing you have to ask is that 2 other girls in that team come from the country and drive past the door of a club that is half an hour closer - why do they do that????

Just to continue with your total lack of understanding and knowledge on this topic there are 3 girls who came from other clubs in 21 girls - including my daughter. Each of which was totally unhappy with the development prospects offered by their original clubs for THE SAME MONEY (and they requested simple things like individuals, 2 training sessions etc - all of which has been available at Sturt for no extra cost!!!). At the end of the day kids will go to clubs that they see as offering a better program and parents will look for value for money.

In terms of average coaches I have been given the opportunity to experience 3 national titles, numerous representative country teams, SPASASA teams ITC camps SASI camps etc long before I came to Sturt - if that is the "average" experience then I am prepared to be "average". I do not believe that there is anything special about our kids at Sturt other than that they are happy to work hard and each has a desire to improve. It is just a wonderful experience to coach kids like this at this club but to write it off in such a flippant manner and blame it all upon some evil recruiting demon means that my kids in Under 12 girls and Boti's will be condemned to having one decent game per 10 rounds and that Sturt will remain as the champion club. I have coached at 2 district clubs and can say that Sturt is by far the best run and most poisitve environment that I have ever been involved in. I cannot speak highly enough of the people and club - I have never felt so appreciated nor have I ever been so supported by an organisation in my life. THAT is what Sturt is - other clubs have their strengths but I am sure that they could learn from observing what Sturt does very well. Just as Sturt does by observing and incorporating what clubs like Dandenong and Nunnawading do very well.

Having been on the other side of the fence I would suggest that "Pandora" has a good look at what Sturt or any other successful organisation does and take the best of it. I would also suggest to "Pandora" that he or she should feel very free to come and discuss this with me at any of my Under 12 girls games.

Reply #34176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mister beaumont get back to class to teach me!

Reply #34179 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

...which brings me back to the point of my thread Wayne. Would it be appropriate for me to attend sturts trainings etc to witness their program? I certainly would feel very uncofortable (irrespective of the warmth of your mo'), so can you tell me ... is it simply quality coaches, two trainings per week for juniors and opportunity of individuals for players who ask. Is that the only things seperating Sturt from the pack?

Reply #34180 | Report this post

Bottles  
Years ago

I was meant to play for north div 1 women u/21's and i was all ready to go. BUt midweek last week got a msg saying we pulled out coz we didnt ahve enough players. I dont know what went wrong there because we had the potential of having up to 10 players, but at the least we defiantely had 6. So yeah... so where along the line someone has made an error.
I would have gladly played with 6!
p.s. Erin "could" have played, but couldn't because she's in Korea for Australian squad commitments

Reply #34185 | Report this post

Wayne Beaumont  
Years ago

Sturt is very muchlike Unley High School - kids can grow and be what they want to be!!!

ANyone is more that welcome to attend my trainings - I am happy to print my sessions out for people. I do not for one minute believe that what we are doing is "rocket science". I am more than willing to work with coaches to improve basketball - just ask Seebs at Millicent and Matho at Naracoorte. My kids have a great work ethic as a total group (we train Div 1 - 3 in the same way) and they see their own personal skill improvement as thier ultimate goal. We obviously do not do a great deal of individuals for Under 12 players but we do give them a ball skills program that they taeke home and do. They love doing that stuff and I must admit I have 3 great coaches in Anna Chapple, Reagan Pitt and Pete Rault who work with our kids. Come and see us on a Thurs night at Concordia college 6 - 8 pm and you will be impressed by the attitude and skills of these kids. I hav ecoached for 20 years and the last 3 years I have been amazed by what they can achieve.

I am doing things with these kids that I would have done with Under 14 kids previously. They are great.

Reply #34187 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

The Pistol,

You can also come out and see the U/18s any time. "Rags" and I do skill related individuals with the players - split into position based groups - on Wednesday nights at Concordia. We also do a seperate agility/functional movement/speed session on this night at the conclusion of practice.

If you come could you please wear your old school Jazz singlet....

Reply #34232 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Wayne Beaumont is a great coach. Not only does he teach his girls all the right things, he's willing to have a young up-and-comer ref do his game.

Wayne conducts himself with the professionalism both on AND off the court that all new coaches should aspire to!

Reply #34318 | Report this post

Wayne Beaumont  
Years ago

Geez Matty if you wanna make a good impression on me so that you can take my daughter out - you are going in the right direction!!!

Seriously - thanks for your kind words - I have had plenty of the other kind in my time.

For Pandora
"What about him? What had he done before he got great teams at Sturt."
My first year of having this program we finished 6th, we had poor basic skills and lacked good vision and planning. Players had left the club because of poor service from coaches. I have had great teams over the last 3 years but I would like to think that on top of the outstanding work of the Under 10 coaches in Graham Burdon and Andy Osborn that the young ladies have actually been taught a thing or two by myself and my outstanding team of Anna Chapple, Reagan Pitt & (the tremendously under-rated)Peter Rault.

In terms of being nice to refs I will not say that I am a saint - it is easy to forgive errors when you are 30 or 40 points up. It is a great opportunity to let refs learn and enjoy the environment of a Friday night.

As for professionalism I think many coaches do that much better than myself - John Gillies, Jeff Fulwood, Scott Butler to name a few I have had contact with over time. The chance to work closely with Scott and Paul has given me some different perspectives on coaching and players - the results were obvious on the weekend when we beat the Eagles girls having lost to them 2 weeks beforehand - the opportunity to bounce ideas and game plans with these people is a tremendous advantage.

I must reiterate that success at Sturt is not due to the "poaching" demon, the "recruiting" demon or any other fable. There is a culture of expectation and support that allows coaches and players to develop to their potential. Not all players or coaches choose to use that to their advantage nor does it suit everyone but it is worth examining and taking what you need/want.

It is not my aim to belittle 'pandora' nor anyone else, and frankly the only people I am concerned about pleasing are the kids & parents, the club and myself. Reputations count for little on many occasions and are easily tarnished by mistruths and innuendo.

In answer to the original question what is it that seperates Sturt? It is all the things I have mentioned and experienced there - it is a great place to learn - for everyone.

Reply #34327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wayne

If the only people you are about pleasing are the kids you coach and their parents, why do you boost your own ego so much on this forum?

Reply #34328 | Report this post

Scott Butler  
Years ago

I don't think he is. He is only being honest and open. There are not many coaches who post on this forum under their own name. It gives people some insight. That can only be good.

Well done to both Wayne and Boti. I watched their game as I was getting ready for my own and it was hard, tough and of a very high standard. Let's hope these two teams meet Monday morning in a few weeks time at Frankston for the national title. It is a good chance of happening.

Reply #34331 | Report this post

Wayne Beaumont  
Years ago

not my intention - the intention is to popint out that the club is great and stick up for it, that it hasn't always been great but is willing to take an honest look at how to improve and act upon it. Also that there are things worth observing for people just as any coach who wants to learn should observe and particpate in as many experiences as they can. Also that mud will be thrown the minute anyone writes anything here - hence the comment about reputations.

Reply #34332 | Report this post

boost juice  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #34345 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Success breeds success. The other clubs are definitely a long way behind, but BASA should be careful that one club doesn't get too good - it isn't good for competition.

I suggest a draft for Under 10 kids. Should be a positive step.

PS. Just kidding. Am disappointed that no-one's mentioned the words "Sturty-Sixers" in this post. Very disappointed indeed! ;-)

Reply #34359 | Report this post

Dante  
Years ago

Well 'Pandora'

What exactly are your fantastic coaching credentials. The fact that you have pretty much got it wrong on all account's shows your ignorance of the situation. Pretty much every club in the state has somebody from another club. Yes Sturt has a number but so does everybody else. Perhaps what you need to ask is why do Sturt get the one's they have.

That it doesn't matter whether you have good players at the beginning of the season. If you don't do some development over the year your teeams will not have good results when it matters. At the Classics. And in case you didn't know, Wayne has a Bronze medal and 5th place finish. That my friend is development.

Your attack has only served to discredit both the West U/16 and U/14 Boys teams as they both have players from other clubs. Does this mean that both these teams are recruiters and have no development. I think not. Both well coached and the U/14'sare extremely unlucky not to make the Nationals. I put my vote forward that North give up there spot to allow this team a chance to Win a National Championship for SA.

Are those grapes sour or have you just no taste.

Reply #34368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a question to ask the coaches in this forum and this concerns me as a player. I am 6"2 and very athletic player. I have been playing basketball since i was 10 years of age and i moved to Australia at the beginning of January last year. I was looking forward to improving my basketball skills. I joined one of the big clubs and i tried and worked very hard in my first year. At the end of last year i went for my trials and played extremely well. I did not miss any shots i blocked and did everything well. I was confident i was going to make div 1s but i did not. The coach told me i was most athletic player in the squad but the reason he gave me for not making div 1s was that i had not played for the club for long enough and now iam playing div 3s. I am a distressed player and i have been working hard all my life in basketball i feel as if i cannot play anymore. I have tried all that i can to play at a higher grade i know i am supposed to be in div1 but what iam i supposed to do to get there. I think the reason Sturt is succeeding more than the other clubs is that they spot talent unlike other clubs. They give their players a chance unlike most clubs.This does not only bother me it is a reoccuring event to many players. i HAVE SEEN IN THE SHORT TIME I HAVE BEEn in Australia lots of players not playing in the grade they are supposed to and are forced to quit.

Reply #34387 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

sturt are no different to other clubs - they have problems like anyone else.

We were at another club before sturt - the big difference we noticed was the lack of professionalism and insight at our former club.

There was also a lack of basketball "wisdom" at our former club.

I am glad we moved as it has shown that we were nothing short than wasting our time at the former.

Reply #34408 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

Liam - why doesn't chococ give brett ebert a run on the ball to get that engine room purrring?

Reply #34409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dante,

A lot of things are not fair in life and it is obviously unfortunate for West U14s and the nationals. But rules are rules. What are we going to teach kids if we say let's change this rule to suit the current situation. One team learns that it is ok to change/break rules while the other team who may have been working on the basis of the rules are told sorry changed the rules because we don't think you should participate.

Best option for west is to hope some of the lesser states, eg NT do not fill their alloted numbers and west can take up one of those.

Reply #34431 | Report this post

Dante  
Years ago

Well anonymous,

I think that this should be the case for each time SA holds the National U/14 Championships.

Back when Forestville hosted the girls and didn't have one of the best 3 squads going around they allowed Norwod to enter as the third team. Maybe it was this exposure that allowed a young lass named Lisa Scaglia to develop into a future Australian Junior Representative.

Reply #34500 | Report this post

jennifer garner  
Years ago

im happy i dont play for sturt because i heard the under 16's boys for sturt had to sit in the girls toilets for 15 to 20 minutes because they lost to west by 18 points in the semis in state champs and there coach said "they deserved to be in there they played like girls". very harsh i think and those kids will get sick of basketball soon if there getting punished this early in there careers. it's meant to be fun i reckon

Reply #34513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well jen, we don't want ya! They played like crap and got told as such! They are big boys, they can handle it! They got over it pretty quick as they smashed Norwood by 29 the next morning. Nugget and Jarrad do a fantastic job with those guys, and there is a great deal of mutual respect there.

Reply #34515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fully agree Dante. However its probably gone too far, as North would have fund raised, booked accomodation etc. Needs to be changed in the future so that this doesn't happen again. Also, North are playing OK at the moment only down 20 or so to all the top sides.

Reply #34517 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Congrats to Sturt - again reaping the rewards of a consistent coaching program!

Having played Div 2 Juniors at Sturt in the past with the likes of Kinghorn, L.Drew, Nige Kin(g)sman? etc I still appreciate the rule that when playing defence, each player is resonsible for their own player - Zone is pretty much a dirty word at Sturt.

This is just one example of what was expected from Div 1/2 players 10/12 years ago - no wonder they are again State Champs.

Step up in State Champs, or be a chump.

PS: - I crossed over from another club a year after my older (better!) brother and coach at another club.

Reply #34519 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754