orbit
Years ago

Anstey as coach?

Has anyone else noticed that his list is very talented but totally undisciplined? Only Balls looks the real deal right now. Imagine if the Tigers moved from the boys club 'Anstey, D Mac, Wazza etc) & brought in a Goorg or a Brendan Joyce? A hard task master could go all the way with this group IMO! The latter would be available & would get these egos in check. Anstey doesn't have what his playing teams had - him (& most teams didn't). Al Westover also comes to mind....

Topic #29997 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey is learning on the job. He will be a better coach next year and should be a good coach in time but it raises the question, why do tigers want to go through 3 or 4 years of him learning the "art" of coaching?

Reply #388346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest mistake the tigers ever made was sacking westover.

Reply #388348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't coach

Reply #388354 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Just to clarify - 'Wazza', aka Warrick Giddey is not part of the current coaching staff.

orbit - you've summed it up perfectly. The Tigers play just like Anstey himself did. Sunday's Kings v Tigers game was a perfect example of two teams taking on the characteristics of their coaches. The Tigers like you mentioned are talented but undisciplined (just like Anstey in his playing days), whilst the Kings are tough, relentless and in your face for the full 40 minutes (just like Hammer played).

I know which style of team I'd prefer to coach.

Reply #388357 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If this was the NBA he would have been sacked already. But as this is not the NBA but just a second rate league full of wanna be's and has beens then I guess he will survive. Trust me that putting Dmac in would not solve the problems.

Reply #388360 | Report this post

Vart - I agree with you that "Hammer" was in your face but not for 40 minutes. The other team usually had the ball for about 20 minutes of the game & I don't recall him being to much in players face then.

Usually only when he was jacking 3's without passing and trying to get involved in fights.

Reply #388364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said whaleoilbeefhhoked but I'd still rather have him than Anstey camped outside the 3 point line jacking up 3s.

Reply #388369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey seems to be very good with the x's and o's but when they get adversity he doesn't seem to deal with it that good yet. Especially on the press

Reply #388375 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Three things:

1. Results to date with this roster are, broadly speaking, not totally unacceptable at all. Well, Sundays result was unacceptable but the previous two games were superb. We're dealing with a small sample size here of 7 games. Any talk of sacking Anstey at this point is laughable. The team has a few loose cannons, however they are playing with passion which is more than us Tigers fans can safely say about last season.

2. What was unacceptable was recruiting Braswell in the first place, which Anstey was responsible for.

3. Anstey is a whinger and it was concerning that he was still complaining well after the event instead of trying to calm his players and rally the troops. However, many coaches would've done the same thing as Anstey. I hope he learns for next time though, because a few ill disciplined acts ultimately cost the Tigers a very important game. Anstey needs to keep a cooler head next time.

Reply #388376 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A 4th thing:

- The team is playing good defense. With Flynn on board to control the offense, I'm confident they can make a run at the top 4. He is still fresh, and his knowledge of the team will improve with every training session.

This week's game against Wollongong, with their loaded backcourt and disciplined team play is absolutely crucial.

Reply #388378 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Tigers wont make a run at Top 4...the reason is Flynn will be gone soon....word around town is he is talking with 3 NBA teams and only came out here to get some game time/fitness in a decent league and the tigers were happy to sign him with an NBA out clause!

Reply #388396 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Oh and Anstey looks like a guy who need 3 or 4 years "learning" the coaching craft at Big V & SEABL level...it really shows when the pressure goes on and it appears he lacks man management skills!

Reply #388397 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Biggest mistake by Anstey from the other night:

When the scuffle happened, the Commentators made a very good point that Anstey never called a timeout or anything.

I wondered why he didnt call one either.
His players were losing the plot a little, and lets be honest, the likes of Walker, Goulding and Scott probably needed a cooling off.

Heal deserves a lot of praise.
It appears as though he has a really good relationship with his players, and everyone seems to be on the same page.
It looks like he can relate to his players.

Reply #388398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing against him as he's a great bloke but he shouldn't be coaching at this level without a substantial proven track record at a lower level like SEABL or BigV Champ level and/or some extended time as a NBL Assistant first. He's done no apprenticeship.
It makes a mockery of the NBL when inexperienced unproven people keep getting coaching positions, just because he was a good player doesn't mean he knows how to coach or manage people.

Reply #388404 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

Al Westover is Hot, he can coach me anytime.

Reply #388405 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Let's judge him on what he's doing, not on how much experience he has.

James Hird has become a good coach in the AFL. No one seems to be talking about his lack of experience. Why? He's got results.

Yeah almost needless to say but if Flynn goes, the team's screwed. Surely they'll be constantly updating a back up list of players though. ie: If Flynn walks out today, these are the people we're gonna call, in order, 1, 2, 3, 4...etc.

Reply #388406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is LV that's all good and well if you get results without experience but why on earth do owners make these kind of selection decisions when there's no track record to measure or asses them?

Surely if you used a proper screening and robust selection processes like other facets of the professional world use for key position recruitment people like Anstey would never get a look in ahead of far more suitable candidates.
When things don't work out its real easy to lay blame to the selection process because its obvious.

Reply #388410 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, it's going to be like Mills all over again except at least this time they didn't lose Corletto.

Reply #388412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV. You seem to think James Hird is coaching Essendon. He has a staff behind him doing a large percentage of the work and the brains of Thompson providing the master plan. Hird is mostly the figure head.

If Tigers wanted to do the same they should have someone like Guy Molloy as his senior assistant and have career assistant Rohan Short as 2nd assistant.

Reply #388413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Hird/Essendon are a perfect example of a "Team" coaching a club, the level of experience behind Hird far out weighs Hirds own individual ability and experience, he might be the game day figurehead/Head coach but others make the majority of decisions behind the scenes.
There is nothing like that kind of arrangement at Melb but its becoming more and more common in Basketball circles to put together those kinds of coaching "Units" with a blend of age and experience within the assistant ranks to support a new younger Head Coach.

Reply #388416 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Basketball coaching isn't quite analogous to most roles in the "professional world".

Reply #388417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Basketball coaching isn't quite analogous to most roles in the "professional world".

^
And this is why the NBL is the way it is.

Reply #388421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Analogous, nice! Was that your word of the day?

Reply #388422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbournes last three games have produced wins of 25 and 30 points and a loss by 5. I dont think he is doing too badly.

Reply #388436 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, I said at the time that I'd rather have D-Mac on board because:

1. He's served an apprenticeship as an assistant.
2. He's got some experience as a head coach and he did impress in his short stint.

However, things aren't always as simple as they appear from outside. The overriding point is that we should judge Anstey based on his results. And at the moment, there simply isn't enough to go by.

Reply #388437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754