Crocs pick up Luke Nevill as 11th man

From the Townsville Bulletin:

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2012/11/21/370447_sport.html

Any ideas?

Topic #30006 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Neville?

For their sake i hope it someone atleast as good as Neville and someone significantly better than Ben Allen.

Reply #388528 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Greg V?.......I hope not.

Reply #388529 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

To give the decision any kind of credibility or hope for success, it has to be Neville or Khazzouh or someone of equal standing. They have 9 points to play with and Neville is an 8, not sure if that counts out Khazzouh.

I can't see the point in bringing in another undersized backup level player, like bj Anthony for example, who would be on a similar level to Abney. They Need some one to play 25 minutes in front of Ben Allen.

Time to spend some money boys!

Reply #388532 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Cairns,Perth and Townsville all made the same mistake......

Reply #388533 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

They used only half their cap to retain their eight Australian guys, so one would think they have a bit to spend.

Reply #388534 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Says in article it is someone that Woolpert hasn't coached before, which rules out Vandy.

Ideally it is someone that will remain with the club long-term.

Signing someone just to see the year out when the club will likely be 0-10 at the end of this round isn't a great decision financially. Playoff hopes are already over.

On the other hand, if there is going to be a major reshuffle and a move to the community model this offseason, you would want to have some momentum on the court and a team that the locals could be proud of to get behind with their pocketbooks.

Why did it have to get to this point for them to make a roster move though?

Reply #388535 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Some teams seem to think "NBL is a small league" but pretty much every team that is successful has a genuine big guy. It adds that extra dimension that you cant teach.

Reply #388538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would have to finish the year 15 & 4 to equal last year's record of 15 & 13 which they made the playoffs with...

I suppose 1 positive is that they have played last year's grand finalists 5 times out of their first 10 games (after sat night)

Reply #388539 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what Paul said

even at this point it is looking like a 'back to back' for NZ to me.

Reply #388540 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

This Crocs team was built around a dominant inside force. If you are going to go small, you need big strong guards and big, versatile wings.

Townsville only has one wing in Blanchfield, and all their guards are small and weak. Which is why they needed that dominant centre that Woolpert was talking about all off-season.

This is a team that was built around the idea of having a go-to big man, but since they forgot to sign one, the whole show has blown up in their face.

Reply #388541 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's not as if the Crocs don't have SIZE up front:

Allen 6'"11
Hinder 6"10
Abney 6'8"
Holmes 6'7"

...it's that outside of Holmes, they are soft as butter up front. And Holmes is only tough on the boards, he isn't a bruiser with the ball in his hands that will punish opponents in the paint scoring-wise.

And they are TINY at the guard spots so they get abused on the boards by opposing wings and guards.

Reply #388542 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

in height the taipans arent small either...loughton for eg at 6'11.....basically plays as a small 4,good facing the basket from range but can't compete on the boards with good rebounders.

Reply #388543 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

People forget Schenscher's passing ability. He made good decisions with the ball last year and had the guts to make certain passes. Unlike Townsville this year where they are reluctant, almost scared to give the ball off.

Reply #388544 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

anthonys not that bad of a player but yeah i hope for there sake its neville

Reply #388545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nevill it is, it seems.

Crocs have quoted a tweet:

"@ToddPearce: @narbloke: Luke Nevill has agreed to terms with the Crocodiles"

@CrocsCEO
“No truth in the rumor that Luke Neville is the new CEO. He may suit up for the Crocs though”

Reply #388549 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Boss agreed, Anthony would be a perfect fit for next year sharing minutes with Holmes. If Neville is a done deal, then that will help hugely. Not just on the glass but to give the Crocs a big low post target to collapse the defence and open up some space for the shooters.

Reply #388551 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

who is their first win going to come against?

Reply #388553 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

That is great news for Townsville. Time to Anchor Allen back to the bench. This team will start winning now just hopefully not against the Sixers this weekend!

Reply #388556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill/Allen/Hinder
Holmes/Abney
Blanchfield/M Cedar
Crawford/C Cedar
Ervin/Norton

Reply #388558 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

um sixers have a bye this weekend. Townsville play Wildcats this weekend.

Hope he has signed long term because short term it seems like a waste of money, ie they arent going to make a run for the playoffs just by adding Nevill

I do think they still need a clean out at the end of the season.

Nevill/Allen
Holmes/?
Import/Crawford
Blanchfeild/?
Import/Norton

Reply #388560 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great news for the NBL and the Crocs.

Tough titties for the 36ers who havent had the chance to play the Crocs yet, and will now have to face a much improved team.

Reply #388562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing, i agree with AlexRads team for next year, would you keep Ervin?

Has Neville only just shown interest in playing NBL this season? as he would have been handy 8 or 9 games ago, pretty much since Schenscer left really, if he has been available the whole time then some questions should be asked of the Crocs management imo, as he should have been bought in asap.

Anyway good signing, and good to see Neville back in the NBL.

Reply #388565 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

If the Crocs have half a brain, they won't keep Ervin. Even if they like him, he'd probably want too much money.

The way this season is looking, I'd flick both Cedars, Allen, Abney and maybe even Holmes (he's an ill-disciplined little shit really). Although they have e.him on a multiple year contract and I think his play and general decision making will change now Neville is there.

Reply #388570 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Great news.

If only they did this when they signed Ervin, this season would look a lot different haha. Wouldn't be in the upper tier but certainly wouldn't be 0-9.

Also gives us a new focus for player retention in the offseason.

The Crocs have one of the softer schedules to close out the season. Time for a 15-4 run?

If you turn Abney, Allen, and Hinder into one basketball player (the sum of which currently equals 0.5 of one basketball player), and use the roster spot opened up by that to sign a slashing wing, the Townsville Crocs would resemble a professional basketball team.

Reply #388572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would it be worth bringing in say Teys in for Allen or Hinder to be the back up slasher?

Would a line up of

Neville/Allen
Holmes/Abney
Blanchfield/Teys
Ervin/Crawford
Norton/Cedar (id consider trying to replace him with Gleeson, Tait, McDonald even Daly if available and seen to be an improvement)

be the way to go?? looks better balanced imo, and gives plenty of opportunity for Norton and Blanchfield to develop and make something positive of this season.

Reply #388574 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nevill wasnt available in the off-season, he was with the Indiana Pacers until late October. Had the Crocs made this move 2-3 weeks ago it could have meant wins against Sydney and Cairns. Nevill may have been sussing out other NBA interest at that stage though?

Reply #388575 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Looks more balanced on paper, but Teys is only 6 foot two. He can't play SF. The team would just be too small in the wing/backcourt with another undersized 2 guard.

What would have balanced this team is never signing Larry Abney and signing Elvin Mims instead.

Oh well...

Reply #388576 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Would be ironic if the Crocs end their massive losing streak this weekend against Perth, a team they haven't been able to even come close to in years.

Reply #388578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh ok, was thinking Teys was 6'6 for some reason, well then they should sign the best Aussie/NZ sf available, not sure who is out there, or would it be worth letting Abney go, signing a import SF say Dorsey or Mims and keeping Hinder as the back up PF, giving a line up of

Neville/Allen
Holmes/Hinder
Blanchfield/Mims or Dorsey
Ervin/Crawford
Norton/Cedar

(could start the import and bring Holmes or Norton off the bench also)

I doubt the Crocs would do it, but would improve there team imo.

Reply #388581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elvin Mims??? You are kidding... He's not even playing pro ball anymore!

Reply #388582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring in Neville and get rid of abbey use one import

Reply #388583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mims did far better than Abney is doing, my guess is he wouldnt have been much more expensive either.

Reply #388585 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Wont save em. Crocs still spooners for mine!

Reply #388588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elvin Mims Is still playing Anonymous.....

Reply #388595 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Will Nevill even stick around next season? Personally, I doubt it. A year of 16-20 and 10 board for the rest of the season and he will get major attention from high paying clubs all over the world.

Reply #388596 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He wont average 16 and 10... He's not that great a rebounder for his size.

Reply #388607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth play 2morow nyt v breaker's got to be at the air port at 6.30am fly, all up 12hr road trip, then play sat nyt! That's a load ove shite! Perth got shafted in fixtures. Areana or not! They prob drop that 1 to the crocs, is he cleared to play?

Reply #388613 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Definitely got shafted by the schedule. Seven away games to start the season?!

Most teams would crumble under that, Perth have handled it with class.

Reply #388614 | Report this post

Pie Cart  
Years ago

If i was coach i give Neville more mins ...he can rebound and score at least 10/10 every night...i didnt understand why he was cut from Perth he put some good numbers up for his size.

Reply #388615 | Report this post

All Ozzy squad  
Years ago

Mick
Perth's choice as they wanted to play in new venue.
Not sure how that makes them shafted. Your team going to NZ twice already - pretty tough assignment.
Many anomilies in what is a crazy draw. At least they all play each other the same number of times.

Reply #388619 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers had a slightly shorter run of away games last season at the clubs request as the Rugby World Cup was on. Makes the run home later in the year easy especially if you got a heap of early road wins.

Reply #388622 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Mick, the Wildcats had better rebounders than the Wildcats last season. Also, if you look, the Perth guards, especially Martin get after the boards with a vengeance. I don't watch many Perth games, but I heard the comentators of a game say that Perth's structure on defense ensures their little guys get more boards than other team's little guys. Something to do with their defensive structures.

I'm gonna say Nevill will average double figure rebounds.

Reply #388623 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Didn't realise that was why. Either way they did pretty well to start the season the way they did.

Reply #388624 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No one in the league is averaging double figure rebounds. Nevill will be besides Holmes who will get his share, plus won't be keen to sacrifice his minutes for the newcomer. Averaged 5 RPG last year.

Reply #388635 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Yeah I know he averaged 5 rebounds last year.

Reply #388640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good move - just a shame it comes so far into the season already,

hopefully he can get at least 10-6 a game

the crocs will be much better on defense now also

Reply #388643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do think 10 & 6 is a realistic expectation for a guy of Nevill's abilities.

Reply #388646 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Woolpert has said that Neville will be the focal point of the offense, whereas in Perth his useage rate was pretty low.

So I would imagine at the very least his points will be up from his Perth stint, not to mention he should be improved from going up against NBA bodies during the summer league.

He will likely average similar points to Schensch in his Townsville stint: around that 13-16 range. His rebounding is dependent on how hard he is willing to work, because with Townsville's anaemic frontline (outside of Holmes) there are plenty to pull down.

Reply #388682 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Anonymous (581) lost all credibility with a lineup that included Ervin at the 2 and Crawford off the Bench!!

Reply #388683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is to blood Norton, who could be a future star and allow Ervin to help him by playing along side him and also free Ervin up to score without needing to worry about creating for others.

Crawford isnt having a great season and would be off the bench for a number of teams imo, especially when you take age into account, he is probably still better than Norton but when you are 0-9 you may as well play the young guys and build for the next few years.

If Neville can provide what Schenscher did, and Abney can continue his improved form, the Crocs could finish strong as if all in decent form Ervin, Abney, Neville should come close to equalling Schenscher, Gill, Mims, with the rest being the same, which was a playoff team last year, so should be able to get at least a couple of wins during the remainder of the season.

Reply #388686 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

This makes Abney redundant, even if he has improved somewhat.

Swap him straight up for Mims and you have a decent team (not that it will happen).

Mims was a fantastic defender last season, shot the ball at a great clip, was a better rebounder than any of our bigs even though he was SF. Plus he can play 3 or 4 to give the roster more flexibility.

The roster would be waaaaay more balanced:

Neville/Allen
Holmes/Hinder
Blanchfield/Mims
Crawford/Mick Cedar
Ervin/Norton/Chris Cedar

And obviously you can run two PG lineups and play Blanchfield or Mims at the four when you are going small.

Reply #388690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea that would be basically the same as last years playoff roster, i would like to see it happen also,

Reply #388696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754