Isaac
Years ago

NBL fines Crosswhite, Walker, Madgen and Robbins

Whoa.

The NBL also examined an incident in the last minute of the third period of the Perth Wildcats-Adelaide 36ers game at Perth Arena on Friday night.

Accordingly, the NBL has today issued the following fines:

- Sydney's Ian Crosswhite and Melbourne’s Lucas Walker have each been fined $500 for unnecessarily joining in an on-court scuffle;

- Sydney’s Ben Madgen has been fined $500 for unacceptable contact to Melbourne Tigers player Seth Scott;

- Melbourne Tigers court announcer Wayne Peterson has received a $500 fine for breaching the NBL’s rules during the incident regarding acceptable behaviour from a court announcer. This fine has been suspended but will come into effect if the court announcing guidelines are breached again by Peterson; and

- Perth’s Brad Robbins has been fined $500 for unnecessarily joining in an on-court altercation.

The NBL has also issued the following warnings:

- Sydney’s Aaron Bruce has been formally warned for significantly exaggerating contact by Melbourne’s Chris Goulding in the third period of the game which led to an unsportsmanlike foul being assessed on Goulding; and

- Sydney head coach Shane Heal has been formally warned for leaving the designated bench area during the on-court scuffle for purposes other than those allowed under FIBA Rules.
Nothing for Tovey?

I don't mind seeing a bit of action taken here. These incidents can be entertaining, but the unnecessarily rough play can really detract from the game.

With live-ball situations, unfortunately the league and refs would need to whistle foul-fests for weeks and weeks on end before teams started to tone down the defensive play. And it would come as many teams catch up in the style of play and intensity that's brought success in past years.

Topic #30019 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

Without getting in to a discussion about who is or isn't the dirtiest player in the league, how does Madgen get a fine for unacceptable contact, yet DJ gets nothing for a push which was obviously scrutinised by the league? Totally inconsistent rulings there.

Reply #388712 | Report this post

MJ @ Super  
Years ago

What did Tovey do?
I thought Johnson pushed the player out the way and Robbins came in to remonstrate with Johnson but didn't do much??

Didn't see Tovey involved

Reply #388713 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Tovey had his own incident. He tried to move Gibson out of the way with just a tad too much force and neck-grappling! It was more worthy of a fine than what Robbins did.

Reply #388714 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

how many fines does the Melbourne court announcer need? I took a friend to Hisense to see the MEL/PER game (the type of sportsfan who's last memories of NBL were the glory days at Melbourne Park) & he made comments about the way the announcer was a little too passionate & crossing boundaries

Reply #388715 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Is looking at toning down the holding and general defensive advantage from an adminstrative point of view an option?

Personally I'm in the minority that likes defensive slugfests but it keeps the scoring and pace down, and with it the "excitement" that many people associate with high scoring games. And some teams seem to be able to get away with a lot more of it than others.

Reply #388716 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Also not sure why Robbins got a fine and DJ or Tovey didnt even get a mention?

Shane Heal is likely to get another fine if the NBL has a social media policy after a couple of tweets he made after the announcment haha..

Reply #388717 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Johnson was penalised at the time with a foul. Was it unsportsmanlike? Should've been, if not. Did Madgen cop anything at the time of that shunt at Scott? Scott was ejected too, which is a pretty key penalty.

I think looking for perfect equivalence is probably a bit optimistic. "Well, base of $500, multiplier of 0.4 for the ejection, 1.9 for provocation, 1.36 for x, etc."

I am no fan of Robbins, but didn't think he was too OTT in that game in Perth. Probably one of the better performers - had to respect his play.

Tovey however is in serious decline. He used to be able to have his smart impact without crossing lines.

Reply #388720 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think Tovey's incident (or incidents, in that game) were a rarity for him. His play is in decline but he usually goes in to his shell, not come out swinging.

Isaac, I think a bit of consistency is expected. If a push is unacceptable, it is unacceptable, not an excuse to punish someone because the ref didn't do his job properly.

Reply #388721 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Nothing for Tovey?"
So the conclusion from this finefest is that there weren't enough fines dished out?
What happened to just penalising incidents via personal fouls, unsportsmanlike fouls, technical fouls and ejections?

Players joining a scuffle I can agree with fining. That's something that is not always possible to police on the spot and is pretty cut & dried if you have video evidence. (Having said that, I don't recall Robbins doing much wrong in his particular incident).
Peterson is a douche and frankly the Tigers should be fining him for making the game night experience unnecessarily unpleasant for the fans.

Disagree that DJ should have been fined for his push on Wagstaff. Nothing in it, and the personal foul called on him at the time was IMO the correct punishment and the correct way to handle that. That's why we have fouls in basketball. Ditto for the Tovey one. Ditto for pretty much every other foul called last weekend that the NBL didn't decide to follow up with a fine.

Reply #388722 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"If enough Tigers fan moan/whinge/cry, we will do something"

Reply #388723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let them just play ball!! Rather see emotion on the court! Scott took it a bit far but, hey therd men they wana win!! Why don't thd refs get fined for deciding games on from the bullshit calls they do?

Reply #388728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to just penalising incidents via personal fouls, unsportsmanlike fouls, technical fouls and ejections?

Agreed.

Looks more like someone at NBL HQ forgot to budget for the annual Xmas shindig. Problem solvered.

Reply #388730 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect this is all as much about discouraging the same in the future. e.g., escalation of scuffles appears to be the focus.

Tovey got an unsportsmanlike at the time and maybe they're happy with that as the disincentive.

Edit: Going back to look at the videos again, I like how after bumping and provoking Scott, Madgen is seen dragging Crosswhite out of the resulting action.

Reply #388732 | Report this post

themvpiskb24  
Years ago

The funny thing is, I got fined $700 for going 10km over a 110 zone...they should count themselves lucky

Reply #388733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very happy to see Madgen get fined for starting the whole thing and for Bruce to get a warning for flopping ridiculously.
Just play the game!

Reply #388734 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

What about the blatent over the top shoulder charge in the back court on Gibbo I think by robbins from two weeks ago, not even a mention. That was as excessively rough as any.

Reply #388736 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heal warned because while Anstey was trying to moderate that scuffle, Heal appears to have been taunting Scott, etc. Might be some confused that Heal was warned for entering the court while Anstey is shown in Dunkin Dan's videos well and truly on the court.

Reply #388738 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Here's the two main rules that apply to team bench personnel (including coaches) during fights;

39.2.2 Only the coach and/or assistant coach is permitted to leave the team bench area during a fight, or during any situation which may lead to a fight, to assist the officials to maintain or to restore order. In this situation, he shall not be disqualified.

39.2.3 If a coach and/or assistant coach leaves the team bench area and does not assist or attempt to assist the officials to maintain or to restore order, he shall be disqualified.

Reply #388745 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ KR: Perth's backcourt falls under a separate subsection of the NBL officiating handbook, "section 7, sub section A, paragraph 12: 'refereeing the Perth Wildcats backcourt on the defensive end'" which clearly states:

"a Perth backcourt player, while playing defense on the Opposition in the backcourt of an NBL match, may impede the progress of the Opposition by holding, grappling, excessive body contact, contact to face, eyes or genitals, or by any other means necessary to impede Opposition progress into the frontcourt."

It's in there plain as day. You can't argue with it.

Reply #388749 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

this really annoys me..there is absolutely no need to fine all these players. what the hell happened to just dealing with incidents on court? fair enough some incidents need to be sorted further but none of these were that bad in fact they were pretty soft. just call the tech foul/ejction and move on.

the NBL can be quite painful to watch at times as it is and one of the things which make it more enjoyable to watch is the emotion and scuffles from time to time...seems the NBL wants the players to turn into robots.

MASSIVE OVERREACTION!!

Reply #388754 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Multiple Posts=Massive Over Reaction

Reply #388755 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It is not an overreaction, as the idea is to stop people like Bruce, Madgen and Robbins with their dirty cheating ways so that the quality of Basketball is improved. We all go out to watch entertaining basketball and not have it brought down by this sort of behavior.

Reply #388759 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

boss, check out a list of the fines and suspensions the NBA hands out!

Reply #388764 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

wheres the multiple posts mystro??

yeah i know the NBA is real strict on things like these but that annoys me too...sports so much better when theres emotion involved.

dont get me wrong i hate floppers and they should be punished but theres nothing wrong with a minor scuffle every now and then

Reply #388766 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

boss, you triple-posted and I deleted the other two.

Reply #388776 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

roger

Reply #388793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who gives a rats about NBA fines????

Massive beat up,man up girls. Lets face quality BBL is rare in the NBL at present,let's enjoy something!

Reply #388893 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

$500 fines...lol wow.

Reply #388919 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754