AK-47
Years ago

Mike Dunlap - Would/Could he coach the Boomers?

Just read through the Mike Dunlap Bobcats thread and it got me thinking about the vacant Boomers head coaching gig (which I vaguely recall Brown stepping down from and hope I'm right about!). Considering that Dunlap has some affiliation with Australia would he consider coaching the Boomers? And if so, would he be a good fit for us?

Topic #30036 | Report this topic

Spursfan  
Years ago

He was actually my first suggestion I think when we were on that Brown stepping down thread. For one, he seems to be coaching the Bobcats very well in terms of pace - one thing Brown did not do very well In London, or any time I watched the Boomers really. He seems to work his NBA team really hard also, which is what Australia needs being an underskilled/undersized team compared with the best.

I am not sure about his availability or desire, but he would be good I think.

Reply #389037 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Can't argue, he would be a damn good coach for the Boomers. Problem is, is he even interested or is he content putting his energies into the Bobcats?

Reply #389041 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

If Brown is struggling for time as an assistant i doubt a head coach could find the time. If he put his hand up however it would be a lock!

Reply #389048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Head Coach is going to be Full Time. Doubt he would give up an NBA Head Coach job to coach a team in the Olympics that is outside shot of even medalling.

Reply #389052 | Report this post

Mika  
Years ago

Lemanisis v Beveridge for me. Has to be locally based coach.

Reply #389053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mike sounds good to me not involved in local politics

Reply #389064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also you would think, he is in his first year as a nba coach why would he burden himself with more work.

Reply #389075 | Report this post

Pie Cart  
Years ago

I my view get someone who is in Australia to coach the boomers ,i like beverage to coach the team,successful with perth as well as lemanis.Dunlap is also good but time is limited for him like Brown had to wait til spurs finished season before he came to australia.Dont want to wait let the assistant caoches do the work and get little credit.

Reply #389083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo would be great selection to coach Boomers. I would like to see Gordie McLeod have a role with the Boomers as an assistant as well. Bevo, Lemanis & McLeod would offer a lot to the Boomers program going forward. With Bevo at the helm the Boomers would instantly be a better defensive team & move towards a more up tempo offensive game as well!

Reply #389089 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I don't think Dunlap would even apply for the job. Pity, he might not make us world or Olympic champions as coach but I think he would bring out the best in the Boomers.

Domestically I think that Andrej Lemanis is probably the leading candidate to take over from Brown and Lemanis has expressed interest in the job.

I wonder if someone like Andrew Gaze or even Luc Longley would be interested in putting their hat into the Boomers coaching ring? Gaze does have some coaching experience with juniors (more than Chris Anstey at the Tigers in fact.....) but does anyone know if Longley has any coaching behind him? Other than playing for a few years in Chicago under probably the most successful NBA coach in Phil Jackson.

Phil Jackson, now there is someone I'd love to see coaching the Boomers. Oh to dream the impossible dream.

Reply #389108 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

why would you just pick 2 guys, with good names in the game but no coaching experience? Hey I wonder what Brett Maher and Leroy Loggins are doing? maybe throw in Willie Farley for the hell of it?

Reply #389132 | Report this post

Dunlap could tell the players to go round belting the opposition then when one of them does a good job of it, persecute him and have him end up leaving the sport.

While we're talking about Dunlap, does anyone know what Chris Blakemore is doing these days?? I seem to remember him doing a great job for the 36'ers but then something must have gone horribly wrong....What could that have been?

Reply #389133 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

Might have been some other determining decisions in that situation.

Reply #389140 | Report this post

kingkingston  
Years ago

Doing a great job at the Bobcats

Reply #389145 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

For my 2 cents. I'm coming round on wanting to see McLeod as HC with Beveridge & Lemanis as Assistants - with those second two guys are HC's of the future.
- whaleoilbeefhooked - I thought of those sort of things when Dunlap was appointed at the Bobcats, but fairplay, I'm sure he's had time to mature & grow as a person and coach since then. I'm sure he's reflected on the Adelaide experience.
- Blakemore had a pretty serious injury before the 1998 season in Brisbane & never recovered FWIW. He told at least one Bullets team mate he was off to join the army so that he could "kill people legally"
- I doubt Dunlap would be interested in the long plane flights & having to keep 1 eye on the Boomers at all times.

Reply #389180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke has successfully coached junior national teams, also current Boomers assistant. With a more talented Boomers squad than what he currently coaches at 36ers, he should be first in line.

Reply #389347 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754