kr
Years ago

Larry Abney Retires

This from the Townsville Bulletin today.

Meanwhile, import Larry Abney received arthroscopic surgery yesterday to clean up some cartilage in his right knee, a procedure that has forced the 35-year-New Yorker old back into retirement.

Do the Crocs treat Nevill as Larry's replacement and run with one import, or do they go with 11 players as previously was the plan when signing Nevill and add an athletic import 3?

Topic #30043 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

I don't think they will have the money to get another import. Instead they will put Nevill into the line up. A better result then just having Abney

Reply #389191 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

Its too late to salvage the season so why waste money on another import.

Reply #389196 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

I think you're right, Nevill is already a massive upgrade on Abney and if they can play with the same desperation they did against Perth some results should finally start to come.

Reply #389198 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

One good thing is we never saw one Birdman celebration after a dunk.

Perhaps we should have allowed him to celebrate after a lay up?

Reply #389200 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Actually I saw at least one, forget which game it was. It was a home game though, pretty sure.

Reply #389202 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

Prior to the Brad hill incident (and for a bit after that too) I always thought Abney was a decent NBL player.

I often wished we had power forward like him when watching townsville play the sixers at the dome

Reply #389207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes we certainly did get one Birdman celebration!

Reply #389212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

D@B, at one point, the Breakers were quite keen on him I think.

I believe that when he moved to Cairns, he was very well paid. Prior to their community reformation, they were throwing money around like crazy.

The era they had Cattalini and Mee, there was another guy on buckets of cash - can anyone think of who it might've been? I remember the stories that they had three guys essentially chewing up the salary cap at that point.

Reply #389216 | Report this post

Moses Malone  
Years ago

Damian Ryan

Reply #389217 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

wow thats a name I forgot... Damien Ryan.. once a boomer then nek minnit.. Dissappears! Where is he nowadays?

Reply #389220 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Chris Burgess was on a bomb from all reports

Reply #389221 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Russell hinder please follow Larry's lead...

Reply #389229 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

most of the crocs games there 3 leading scorers reads along the lines of ervin 18 blanchfield 11 crawford 11 (or thereabouts). they dont have enough scorers. if there is some coin left after abney goes maybe they should try n get a scoring import 3 man before its too late

Reply #389231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Between Burgess, Mee and Catt I think it was they were on the whole salary cap at that time.

Reply #389238 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Abney & Tucker were reportedly on $250 each. Mee, Cattalini & Stewart were also on good $$. Coached by Alan Black & a good side!

Reply #389240 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Abney was great years back, and I was excited when I knew he would be back in the league... but he was a shadow, of a shadow of his former self.. and was probably the dodgiest import in the league. Should have retired earlier probably.. its sad when a bird can no longer fly

Reply #389242 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

originally word was that ivan mcfarlin was going to the crocs, but then someone said the reason he didn't go was because his SEABL team prevented it- is this right?

Reply #389243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nek minnit.......hilarious!

Reply #389246 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Dave Thomas and Rashad Tucker would've been on very decent scratch, Stephen Black too. Insanely good collection of talent for those couple of seasons that never quite jelled.

Reply #389250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McFarlin got offered a low salary by the Crocs. Not worth the effort for so little. Crocs saving money eh.
Shame they wasted it on 3 dud imports and a dud coach.

Reply #389254 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Their team isnt all that different from last year so I am quite surprised to see them where they are;

Gill > Ervin
Mims > Abney
Schenscher > Hinder

I know they ran all of their offense through the big fella, is his presence being missed more than they thought/hoped?

An interesting stat on Schenscher....every team he has played on has played Finals - probably says more about him than you think?

Reply #389281 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

would the crocs have a look at mcfarlin now?
Maybe he would be a good replacement for matt knight at perth

Reply #389283 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Schenscher definitely makes plays, but he cannot finish them. He is smart though, gets in the places he is effective. He's a bit of a big man in reverse. I personally don't rate him too highly, but he gets a lot of attention regardless. He's 7'2" so that's a big problem the opposition has to to contend with every second Schensch is on the floor.

Also, even though Abney went to Cairns for the money, I think Townsville should have given him more love than a single sentence at the end of a Todd Blanchfield article. Fair enough, I don't know how Abney treated the Crocs behind the scenes, but I don't think he would have been bad to them. They should do a big write-up on him and congratulate the effort he put in and the joy he gave Townsville fans for those years. Especially considering the state the Crocs are in, including public opinion, a fluff piece on Larry wouldn't exactly dent their cause.

Reply #389286 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Damien Ryan is finished from Basketball. Is over 100kgs after a serious leg injury. Is back home in Melbourne living life after ball.

Reply #389290 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You always end up wanting more out of Schenscher, but his passing and presence is so underrated.

The win/loss ratio of every team he has played on speaks volumes. He gets other guys shots every single time down the floor, and is one of the best kickout passers in the world, period.

Was also a winner at the NCAA level.

Ervin and Gill are completely different players. Ervin has trouble controlling the game as a whole, and isn't the best leader, but is obviously an amazingly explosive scorer.

Gill was hot and cold in terms of personal production, but was a master puppeteer in terms of clock and tempo management, and would rarely let a close game go the other team's way. He usually got the upper hand of the other elite guards in the league like Wilson, Deleon and Jackson, just through veteran savvy.

Reply #389292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Gill interested in returning to the NBL? did he price himself out of the market? why wasnt he retained, they could of even done a Hawks and grabbed Gill and Ervin as there backcourt, i know it would have likely been too expensive for the Crocs but imagine a team of

Neville/Allen
Holmes/Hinder
Blanchfiel/Crawford
Ervin/Cedar
Gill/Norton

Much better than they have now, salary wise Ervin would probably want more than Mims got last year, would reducing Allen,Cedar, Hinders wage cover this? then its a straight swap Neville for Schenscher, to me its reasonably acheivable under NBL caps.

As said i think Ervin is more of a scorer and i reckon he would do better at SG, im a huge fan, but he isnt the type of pg who can controll a team/tempo and get others great shots, previous crocs pgs in Gill and Blalock were much better at this imo

Reply #389297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Written by @andrewsmithtsv and RTed by the Crocs:

Bizzare morning at @TsvCrocs HQ...presser expected to confirm @AbneyLarry's retirement cancelled...Abney now says he hasn't ruled out return

Reply #389313 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Must be something in the water up there....

Reply #389320 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Maybe he's been talked out of it, or waiting for a farewell game, which would be the right thing to do.

Reply #389326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans coach Alan Black was supposedly on pretty big money up there with Mee & Abney when the club 'folded'.

Reply #389331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Schenscher success seems to follow him around:

-NCAA championship game with Georgia Tech

-NBA Playoffs with Chicago Bulls

-NBL playoffs with 36ers (last time we made them)

-NBL Championship with Wildcats

-In consecutive seasons missing the GF by one game with Townsville

-36ers currently 3rd on the ladder

Reply #389332 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Bulls are the outlier there since he didnt play much but everywhere else he has been a first or second option.

Reply #389338 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754