Spursfan
Years ago

Lakers lose when Kobe scores big

It seems in a lot of Kobe's 35+ point games, the Lakers get the L.

Looking at 40 or so points on a box score, I assume people would say "great effort by Kobe, he really wanted to go out there and get a win for the team". But to me, there is a reason they lose when the guy scores big.

What do you guys think?

Topic #30053 | Report this topic

tropical booz  
Years ago

hard 2 say til nash is back &artest also. had 10 tuenovers & took 28 shots. jury out til all pieces are at play!

Reply #389360 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Misses 16 shots and has 10 turnovers. Losing to the pacers who are missing probably their most vital piece in Danny Granger. Lol @ people that call Kobe an MVP candidate

Reply #389364 | Report this post

The Lakers shot 23/43 foul shots. There is no way any team should win with such a dismal display from the stripe. Indiana were hacking the shit out of LA/Duuhwight. You can hate on Kobe all you want but he is cold blooded. Did you see the pull up 3 to tie the game for his 40th point?
Props to Hill from Indiana though his drive to win the game burnt the whole Laker team, sat on the rim bouncing for the final 1.5 seconds then dropped with .1 of a second.
Lakers will be one of 6 teams with a chance to take the championship. This is a long season remember. I would like them to have had a better start to the season but look forward to April when it starts to warm up.

Brandon Jennings anyone?

Reply #389365 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

There was a piece of work done by one of those stats gurus in the early 90's about Jordan - showing basically that as he took more shots, the Bulls became less efficient at winning.

It was something like if he took 22-28 shots they won 75% of the time, 29-34 55% of the time type thing. I imagine the same would be true of Kobe.

This is different from pts, because if you score 38 points super efficiently, either from the field or from lots of free throws, then that would help I'm thinking.

Reply #389380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a major Kobe fan, but is it possible that one of the drivers behind LA losing games where he contributes high scores is that the rest of the team is failing to contribute as well as they should and looking to Kobe to fill the void?

Same probably applies to Jordan - when the Bulls were working well he probably didn't need to force up shots to keep the score board ticking over. When the team isn't getting it done, I suspect everybody looked to him to rescue the game, much as LA probably still looks to Kobe.

Reply #389391 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Free throws are such a big part of the game.

Dwight is going to lose them a lot of games this season because the guy can't even buy a free throw.

Lakers down by 1 with 58 seconds to go.
Dwight to the line.

Misses the first and absolutely bricks the second.

Then of course, MWP misses two.

But Dwight then makes another big mistake. Doesn't get into help position fast enough, and allows Hill to get the GW layup to go.

Reply #389396 | Report this post

Gardenia  
Years ago

I'd be throwing the ball into Pau on the low block every other play. Force the double team and then exploit with his superior decision making and sublime passing skills.

Instead they push him out to the perimeter where he's much less effective. It's clearly frustrating the hell out of him. Such a waste of talent.

Reply #389409 | Report this post

alsospursfan  
Years ago

Spursfan, I dont know who you are, but you seem to have amassed quite a bit of knowledge on the subject. I enjoy reading your forums. Furthermore, kobe is the greatest. you know that.

Reply #389504 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Ho u cant read everything into stats, 75 % of people know that!

U etter when not so angry spursfan!

Reply #389512 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Talk about can't read! Can't read your post mate, get an education!

Reply #390119 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754