Isaac
Years ago

NBLPA advises fined players not to pay

On Twitter:

NBL issued fines: The NBLPA has notified the NBL that the processes by which the fines were issued constitutes a denial of due process...1/2
2/2 and of natural justice. Therefore, we have advised our effected members to not pay these fines until this matter is adequately resolved.
*affected members

Topic #30060 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats to be achieved here?

Isnt the next step just an NBL tribunual hearing, where the same verdicts can basically be handed out, if it were me id make them a little harsher to encourage players to accept the early penalties unless you have a real genuine case or evidence that hasnt been considered.

From what i saw of the games, the penalties are reasonable, some may be a little harsh, but not totally unreasonable at the same time, so would likely stand, if i was one of the players id just cop it and move on.

The AFL does the same thing, views the incidents and hands out a penalty without a hearing, which is usually slightly reduced, then if appealed it has the risk of being increased if the appeal is not successful, so most are not appealed and would save the AFL alot of time and money, id say this was just the NBLs version which makes sense to me.

Whats the NBL's next move, put together tribunal hearings in the next few days? suspend players until fines are paid?

Reply #389449 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

" nothing more dangerous than someone with an uncompleted law degree"

Reply #389453 | Report this post

Grannymae  
Years ago

So the next Step is for the NBL to have a hearing and to fine all players $1000 to make sure it doesnt happen again!

Reply #389458 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

My understanding is that the NBLPA has very little support and that they are trying to position themselves as being a party of power and influence to the NBL.

Pretty easy for the NBL to advise players that if they dont pay fines by tip off this round they wont be eligible to play.

Reply #389460 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Well Robbins isnt playing anyway so... haha

Reply #389463 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

*checks this weeks schedules and injury report*

Yep, Crosswell, Madgen and Bruce should have to pay by Friday or sit out.

Reply #389492 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBLPA release included these paragraphs. Would've thought the first one goes some way to answering the second? e.g., rules, etc?

The NBL has recently issued fines to several players as a result of on court actions under Section 5.3 of the Rules and under Section 12, Rule 111.4 of the Rules relating to the NBL Tribunal and appeals to the NBL Commission.
Furthermore, the indiscriminate nature of the fines has left the players completely void of understanding or awareness of what actions will be considered by the NBL as 'fineable'.

Reply #389516 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Unions - gotta love 'em.

Reply #389528 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754