Mick
Years ago

Free Throw Shooting in the NBL this season

Gary Ervin is fifth in the NBL in free throw shooting percentage at 78%. 78% will get you into the top five!

For a comparison, in the NBA, the 70th (!) best free throw shooter sits at around 78%.

Who put the glad wrap over the rims this year?

Topic #30068 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

There's a players huddle before missing free throws.
Repetitious , boring .
A side-ball option seemed right to me.

Reply #389547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, only 70% average, NBA is at 75.5.

Reply #389579 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The NBL's talent pool is pretty much equal with the NBA's, right?

Reply #389587 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Talent has little to do with making free throws.

It's about confidence and practise. There is no reason why the NBL should be any lower than the NBA.

Reply #389591 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

As a coach I tell my players that the free throw is the easiest one to make because there's no chance that anyone can pressure the shot, and it's from the same spot every time.
Then they see the top players missing so many free throws, both in the NBL and the NBA. Doesn't make sense, does it?

What sort of FT % did Drewey and Heal have in their prime - high 90s?

Reply #389597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players FT%'s usually come down as they get towards the end of their careers so I would guess Gaze high 80's and Heal mid-low 80's.

Reply #389642 | Report this post

Random  
Years ago

You say its about confidence and practice. there you go, NBA players have more confidence and get more practice. not to mention a crew of highly professional trainers and coaches.

Reply #400553 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754