Whitey
Years ago

Spurs resting big 3 today against heat

Pop is resting Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili for todays game. Playing mind games or just playing it safe with a older team?

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/29/spurs-will-face-heat-without-big-three-green/

Topic #30069 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

So we should see more minutes for Mills then?

Reply #389550 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Don't forget Green is out too. Lots of minutes for Neal, Mills, Splitter etc.

Reply #389554 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Does anybody think that this is kind of 'blooding' the bench guys?

They get a lot more burn, in a sold out Miami home game, and have to deliver when the heat is on.

I see it as a chance to give guys exposure before a finals campaign. Removes the 'unknown' factor for those players should they make it through?

Just a thought. I know the media rhetoric will be 'resting players' etc but I'm sure theres more thats been considered.

Diaw/Blair
Splitter/Bonner
Leonard/Jackson
Neal/Anderson
DeColo/Mills/Joseph

A deep team. Everyone gets 20 minutes....

Reply #389558 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

No Leonard and Jackson either, both out injured. Spurs suiting up 9 players.

Reply #389559 | Report this post

whaleoilbeefhoked  
Years ago

Why the hell would he rotate all 3 in the same game?? It's not about playing his bench because he could do that any time he wanted....it's not hard to sit your starters.
Makes no sense. Surely you rest one at a time to maximise your chances of winning.
I think his guard rotations this year are strange, especially after Mills' finish to last year.
But then again Mills needs to learn to pass the ball a bit more if he wants to play more minutes. 6 foot shooting guards aren't going to play much.

Reply #389560 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

Great news for Mills.

Reply #389561 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think it is a smart idea. Next game is against Memphis @ Spurs.

The coach probably thought just accept the loss to Miami and then be rested up to throw everything at Memphis.

The Memphis game is more important since they are in the same conference. Also is my understanding correct that if they are tied at the end of the season that the team that won the series gets the edge? If so it shows more reason why its important to beat Memphis rather then Miami (Until the finals when they will beat them :) )

Reply #389563 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

King James,

Nailed it mate. Chances of the Spurs knocking of Miami in Miami are pretty slim. Beating Memphis in San Antonio is not only more likely, its far more important. Rest up the old stars and throw everything in a game with a lot more on the line is the smart way to go.

Reply #389567 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

This sort of thing happens when you play too many regular season games in too little time.

Allegedly the starting five is:

Patty Mills
Nando de Colo
Matt Bonner
Boris Diaw
Tiago Splitter

Nationally televised game in the US. I can't imagine the networks are huge Pop fans right now.

Reply #389577 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

It'll be good fodder for mind games if they meet in the finals... "sure Miami beat us in November, but we didn't have our 3 best players on the court."

Reply #389581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stern isn't happy!

NBA commissioner David Stern promised repercussions for the move, saying the Spurs will face "substantial sanctions" for their approach to the game.

"I apologize to all NBA fans," Stern said in a statement. "This was an unacceptable decision by the San Antonio Spurs and substantial sanctions will be forthcoming."

From ESPN

Thoughts?

Who is Stern to say who plays and who doesnt? I seem to recall Miami resting Wade in quite a few games last year..

Reply #389589 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

Spurs lead Miami at the end of 1st quarter. Mills had a crap start, other guards doing much better, looks like he blew a good chance to have a big game in the first quarter.

Reply #389590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barkley thinks Patty needs to pass more...

Reply #389593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what happens when you're 0-5 from outside the arc!

Reply #389600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ I was agreeing with Barkley ;)

he's not doing himself any favours by jacking. Look for the outlets

Reply #389601 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

It's an interesting discussion.

I don't agree with sanctions, but I don't like Pop's decision.

Playing their main 3 for 5 road games then sending them home before the last one - a bit of a middle finger to fans who've paid money to come watch that game. Sure, they still get to see "Miami vs San Antonio", but the NBA is a star-oriented league.

If people rock up to see the Heat host the Spurs, they (mostly) want to see Wade, James and Bosh go up against Duncan, Parker and Ginobli.

Not only that, it's only a month into the season. Why would you rest players a month into the season?! a month out from playoffs, maybe - a week before playoffs, sure. But a month in, these guys should have enough in the tank to do a 6 game road trip then play the next home game. Even if their main guys play restricted minutes, that's better than sending them home completely.

Reply #389602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems that the more important game is the divisional matchup which might come in valuable when it comes to playoffs.

good on Pop...shows why he's a great coach & knows the game nearly better than anyone

Reply #389606 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

bet he wish he had his starters to finish of Miami in the last quarter, Spurs bench are doing great , looks like they could win.

Reply #389607 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

1:4 assist to turnover ratio isn't a good look :(

Reply #389610 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

Miami were lucky to get away with that win, Spurs should have won, they had a 5pt lead with under 2min to go. Mills missed the shot to tie the game.
Mills 1/7 from 3.

Reply #389612 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

looks like Patty has missed an opportunity here. might be relegated down the order for back up PG. probably just ahead of Corey Joseph.

Reply #389620 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Fined 250k for resting players because it lessened the
Game quality , wtf how can u be fined for that
Surely resting players for there welfare is not
Against the rules

Reply #389700 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Whole heap of clauses etc that the teams must abide by, which the Spurs failed. They didn't notify the league, Heat or TV station within the required time frames for starters.

Embarrassing for the league when they promote the game, and then one team tanks player-wise. Probably could of got away with resting two players with 'flu-like symptoms', but not the 3 big, plus Green in one hit. Pop should of been smarter...

Reply #389735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 250k fine is bullshit especially considering that it was a competitive game. If it was a blowout than David Stern would have a point but he didn't want to look stupid after opening his mouth before the results so he came up with the fine just to suit his ego.

Reply #390050 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

There is a difference between watching a game for the superstars and watching a game for the contest.

Reply #390139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754