Anonymous
Years ago

Is the VJBL still run by the Melbourne Tigers?

Curiously the 18 boys pool 1 team is allowed to move their final grading game to Sunday, as half the team is playing in the FIBA Oceania tournament! Fair enough, but then why would a rival Association in the same pool be denied this request when half their team is off to the USA on an ITP tour?

Just puting it out there, in case there are other examples??!

Topic #30082 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Well one is a group of kids representing their country. the other is choosing to take a tour they pay for. There is one good reason.

Were the requests identical? I can see how moving a game from Friday night to Sunday would help in the Oceania event scenario. In the ITP scenario surely moving the game from Friday to Sunday would not help?

Perhaps the opposition team was compliant and happy in one case but not in the other?

(and I cannot stand the Melbourne tigers - just offering a view as to how this might have been justified)

Reply #389704 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Maybe the fact that the tournament is FIBA-Sanctioned is of significance.

Changing the game date because of a FIBA tournament is different from changing it because of some USA Tour that isn't FIBA-Sanctioned.

Reply #389711 | Report this post

Lss  
Years ago

Melbourne were also kind enough to agree to postpone the u18 GF last season because Diamond Valley were missing a kid. They didn't have to do that. And they lost.

I also hate Melbourne but I don't think there's much in this...

Reply #389744 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

The 2012 U18 Boys VC Grand Final Game back in September was played a week later than all the other VC Grand Finals on Sat 29th Sep - it was streamed live through Justin-TV which I actually watched.

I think you will find both Melbourne & Diamond Valley had key players in the Aussie boys team at FIBA Oceania U19 tournament.

Not sure why the U18 Girls VC Final was not also postponed if those teams had any players involved with the Aussie girls.

Reply #397759 | Report this post

hogwash61  
Years ago

No, I think you'll find only one Diamond Valley Player was playing for Australia in the U19 games against New Zealand. No Melbourne players from this age group were in the U19 Australian Team.

Reply #399693 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

I think the EMU's had Dane Pineau Tigers & Matt Jackson Eagles playing in the tournament.

So obviously both teams would want their best players available for the VC Grand Final.

Reply #399749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754