PlaymakerMo
Years ago

NBA Fines San Antonio Spurs $250k

Source:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8695865/nba-fines-san-antonio-spurs-250000-sitting-players

Surely the Spurs' ownership group would take this matter to court? Stern must be barking mad if he thinks this will stand.

Topic #30084 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting one....

I dont believe its fair that they can fine them. people pay for a ticket that states SA Spurs vs Miami Heat.... Correct? No lebron vs ducan etc. to me while it may be disappointing for some of the people it is only fair that players can be rested where needed. Pop's a smart man and his decision would not have been made lightly.

Reply #389718 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Heat rested the Big 3 in the last few games before last year's playoffs began.

He rested his Big 3 against Boston and Washington (their last two regular seasons games)

I remember one of them memorably because the Wizards won 104-70.

Stern didn't take any action then.

I understand this was early in the season, but the Spurs schedule was so nasty.

They have just done a road trip with 6 games in 8 days. The Heat was the last game on the road trip.

A coach can play who they want, when they want.

What I don't get...This is being happening for ages now. So why open this can of worms now?

What if the Spurs won, would they still fine them?

Reply #389722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stern's retiring isnt he? Trying to go out with a bang?

Reply #389724 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

I can definitely see the NBA's point of view. Resting big guys on the eve of the playoffs is a lot different to about 15 games into the season. It is a lot easier to argue that the NBA isn't being disadvantaged because guys are resting up to go hard in the playoffs, as opposed to early in the season.

I can see both sides, but I agree with the NBA (don't necessarily agree on the size of the fine) because the Spurs crushed Orlando the night before and there was plenty of time for their big 3 to rest.

Reply #389726 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Lesson learnt, next time have them suit up, warm up and sit on the bench the whole match.

Reply #389731 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Opt, then Stern would do something worse.

Another case of Stern being Stern. Wanker.

If a coach decides to sit somebody 5 minutes before a game, he shouldn't have to tell anyone. It's what he gets paid to do, make decisions!

Reply #389737 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Oh, and only a 5 point win for the heat. Maybe Stern should fine them for almost losing to bench players

Reply #389738 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

About time Stern retired

Reply #389742 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Per a statement released by the NBA: The Spurs' actions were in violation of a league policy, reviewed with the NBA Board of Governors in April 2010, against resting players in a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA.

Resting players was clearly not in the best interests of the NBA.

Reply #389748 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

NBA franchises have to be able to manage the insane amount of risk that comes with professional sports and athletes.

Pops made this decision when the schedule was first released because of the wear it would likely have on his players, and the disparity between the Spurs and HEAT in terms of "freshness" - Spurs were about to play their 5th game in 6 nights (6 in 8), had played 11 road games this season to Miami's 14 total games etc.

If Parker, Ginobili, Duncan and Green were injured and rested then this would be a non-issue. If these players weren't 100% and rested it would be a non-issue. Pops has done this in the past and everyone with half a brain understands why. After a schedule like the Spurs have had, they should be allowed to manage the risk of injury to their key players.

I understand the NBA's reasoning too, but the league policy on this issue is so ambiguous and subjective it has to be taken to court.

The league interfering with individual franchise decision-making is clearly not in the best interests of the NBA... though as much as this disgusts me, it is entertaining!

Reply #389759 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Did I mention they play division rivals, Memphis, in their next game?

Reply #389760 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

While a big hit for a small market team I doubt it will deter Pop from doing it again.

Next time some 'tendinitis' or 'general soreness' may come into play!

Perhaps Sir Charles should've quizzed him about it in the 1/4 time interview.

Reply #389762 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

The spurs showed how deep there bench is by pushing the heat to the wire and would have the fined the spurs if they had won that game

Reply #389778 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Players are put on the injury list all the time with general soreness so they can activate another player and the NBA does nothing about this because they probably can't be bothered investigating it every time this happens. If Pop had rested the Spurs bottom 3 players in the next game would they get another fine?

Reply #389883 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

No they would clearly not get another fine because the bottom three players' omissions would clearly not disadvantage the league. Fucken

Reply #389888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Patty could of knocked down a 3 then perhaps the Spurs would of won.

Stern would of looked even more stupdi then if he had fined a winning team.

Reply #389951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not too hard to argue that resting your players during the season so they are in better shape for the playoffs is in the best interests of the league. And the league has to accept some of the blame for ridiculous scheduling. I don't see any difference between resting players now and at the end of the season.

Reply #389968 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

You don't see any difference between resting players now and the end of the sea... gosh...

Reply #389978 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cuban has come out and said that the fine should've been higher. You mess with the vital TV deal, and you should be punished, etc.

Said that if it weren't a nationally televised game, he thinks there shouldn't have been a fine.

Reply #389981 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Cuban's right. The viewership of that game on Miami's local Fox station is a fraction of what it would be on national station. That's really all it's about -- viewership.

Unless Pop is an idiot, he was just playing the stupid mindgames he always does. It's as though he tries to be an asshole in the media. He sure can coach, but he's cocky and arrogant.

Reply #389983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay Spursfan, I didn't explain that very well. Of course I see the difference in terms of resting your players and preparing for the playoffs - what I meant was, this happens all the time at the end of the season and nobody has been fined, so how does the NBA justify fining a team now?

Reply #389995 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

They justify it because it is at the end of the season -- players getting that few days rest directly before the playoffs start, so NBA viewers get a better game (fresher athletes) in the post-season.

When it is at the start of the season, players don't have that general soreness/niggling injuries and you are simply taking away from the NBA spectacle, a violation of the rule. Saving your players from niggling injuries that could potentially arise in a few months is in breach of the rule. The rule is clear enough. If it were small-time guys, although it's a contradiction (the stars have to play all the time and risk injury, while the bench guys can sit out), it wouldn't take away from the spectacle.

Reply #390004 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Maybe an over-reaction to give such a big fine, but the Spurs will make that money up quickly I am sure, so what wa the point in that. If fans pay $350.00 for a ticket and don't see the super stars, I get the disappointment and let down, but it ended up a great game with a close ending!

Maybe Stern could have thought about it before he did a Galup??

Reply #390076 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Does the ticket say Miami vs San Antonio, or does it say Lebron and co vs Parker and co? Because, unless the ticket states the players involved, then tough shit

Reply #390164 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kind of shows the NBA is style over substance. If the Spurs rested their players and got whooped by 40 I would understand, but it was still a good, close ball game that the Spurs werent far off winning.

What the NBA is effectively saying is what happens on the court isnt our core product, it's who is on the court. Shame the Spurs didnt hold on in the last quarter and win, that would have made it a farce.

Reply #390167 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Spurs are supposedly "boring" anyway. The audiences probably enjoyed the game more because it was less about fundamental good basketball and more about a isolation plays, one-on-five and jacking up shots willy nilly. It's better TV isn't it?

I honestly have no idea how people can call the Spurs boring (and it happens frequently). The way teams like the Lakers play is just so boring. Watching Kobe hit ridiculous shots is interesting the first hundred or so times and on occasions down the stretch, but it just doesn't cut it as viewable basketball day in day out.

The most interesting aspect of Lakers basketball is waiting for Artest to "accidentally" injure someone and Howard to lose his shit prior to an ejection.

Funny thing is, the Spurs bench are still more interesting to watch than the Lakers with Kobe/Howard or Miami with James/Wade.

ESPN and TNT should stick to teams like Spurs (even without the big three), OKC, Clippers, Boston, New York, Golden State, Portland etc.

Not even the people of Miami bother to turn up to Heat games, so many free seats available!

Reply #390303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754