MW
Years ago

American coaches and Aussie coaches in NBL debate

whilst there have been debates over whether some teams really need an import, believing strong Aussie-only team will be enough to get the job done. I think it'll be interesting to look at the records of American and Aussie coaches too, whether if an American coach is more or less successful in this league. Successful coaches in my head over the last few years

Americans: Goorj, Westover, Wright
Aussie: Lemanis, Beveridge

I know I'm missing heck of a lot of names, so fill in and voice your thought!

Topic #30086 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Mark Price didn't last long at the South Dragons

Reply #389740 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Murray Arnold
Don Monson
Brett Brown
Cal Bruton

Reply #389743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson.

Reply #389749 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

perhaps look more at list of coaches who's won championships?

Reply #389750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a good coach goes a lot deeper than winning a championship. As we all know, it often comes down to budget. Gleeson made playoffs every year up there with teams that were often written off.

Reply #389751 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I definitely understand championship don't mean everything however at this level it does take a lot of priority since this is the 'train to win' stage of one's career. i.e. as much as I like Jerry Sloan but he'll never be regarded as a Phil Jackson, and that is the sad part about sport sometime. to an extent it does come down to championship count.

Reply #389752 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Further to 389751 what also must be considered is coaches taking on 'ready made' sides rather than building/developing from scratch.

I think we can exclude Mark Price who resigned/was sacked from the Dragons.

Reply #389764 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Scott Fisher

Reply #389775 | Report this post

All Ozzy squad  
Years ago

So in the US unless you coached MJ, Larry, Magic, Lebron or another superstar you couldn't be rated a great coach and in Oz a guy like Gordie McLeod will probably never be rated all though he is clearly one of the NBL's all time best coaches and is still getting better. There have been many average coaches win on the back of talent and many very good coaches never have ultimate success. Great debate though - need to dig deeper.

Reply #389780 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Horses for courses. Some guys are great at getting the maximum out of limited resources, but that same guy might not have the ability to coach a stacked side to a championship.

Reply #389781 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Further to BJF's list- Lindsay Gaze!

Reply #389792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With his messed up accent, where does Fearne fall in this picture?

Reply #389953 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I dont know what i am talking about

Reply #393326 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754