Anonymous
Years ago

The end of the Marty era

Obviously enough is enough.

If the Sixers can't afford to bring in a new coach just make Radford the coach.

"It's time"

Topic #30091 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Didn't go with the typical 'sack marty' thread title?

Reply #389833 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

No need to be sarcastic, the thread is valid. But not a chance Radford takes over the reigns, he offers less basketball knowledge than Clarke, just a 'gel guy' for the coaching staff.

Reply #389836 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Love your work Ingles.

Reply #389840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL less basketball knowledge than Clarke

Reply #389841 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Give the man a break...what about the players?

Reply #389842 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Would help if DJ was capable of playing D on some level
Every loss can be contributed to the PG attacking from the top of the key and getting wide open lay ups

Ervin
Deleon
Henry
Flynn

All have scored at will and turned games with no help coming to protect the rim.

Reply #389843 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

The players aren't the ones in charge of the shocking rotations. What does Mitch Creek have to do to get some minutes? Comes in has a three point play and then is off a minute later. Meanwhile Croswell plays most of the second half. What does he offer that Cadee and Gibbo cant do? Half the time while hes on Gibbo runs the point anyway, why have a guy who cant shoot play the 2? He's also too slow to stay in front of his man. Surely enough is enough, we should be 7-3 now we are 5-5 and outside the 4 with probably the deepest team in the league

Reply #389844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a big issue, no team can win with DJ as your main guy. Other than in a very weak WA state league has DJ won at any level of ball?

Still it's Marty's fault for s.igning him long term.

Reply #389845 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

To be fair Cadee was suffering from the flu an Mitch looked like he was hobbling on a bad ankle post game

Reply #389846 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The man has had a break the last 2 seasons and start of this one. Shocking Win Loss record, and hasnt made a decent sub in his time. Should be resigning in all honesty, he cant be happy with his own standard and has to be second guessing his abilities at this level surely!

Reply #389847 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Watching the Hawks with a seemingly lesser roster perform so well right now is just depressing too. Love to see the under dog do well, but jesus cant Adelaide catch a break with its recruiting....

Reply #389848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HOLD your thumb and your first finger about an inch apart and that's how close the Adelaide 36ers are to being a genuine NBL contender.

Unfortunately, that last inch may as well be a chasm, the Sixers again stumbling into no-man's land with their 73-75 loss to Townsville in Townsville on Friday.

On Sunday they host Sydney at Adelaide Arena, again needing to bounce straight back up to placate a fanbase that is either understandably dubious or outright suspicious about their Sixers' bona fides.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-shown-up-as-pretenders-again/story-fnanosvn-1226528044220

Boti in the Sunday Mail today before this game against the Kings, can't wait to see what he has to say now.

Reply #389849 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Kobe24...Adelaide can't 'catch a break with their recruiting'??

Gibbo?

Petrie?

How much more firepower do you need before the excuses stop?

Reply #389874 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, I think you missed the point, Kobe was indicating that with our recruiting we should be doing better.

Reply #389875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think kobe was saying that at all. Catch a break with recruiting doesnt mean the players we recruited (who are supposed to be good) arent performing. Add Schenscher in there too. Foul shots he missed possibly cost them the game down the stretch.

Reply #389891 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Mitch Creek came in with 3.30 to play in the first. Benched with 50 secs left in the first. DNP again.

Weigh stank for 3/4 of the game. Mitch outscored him in the two minutes he played until Weigh woke up in the 4th... and still wasn't that great.

The reason people keep hammering these same themes is because they're a genuine issue.

Sixers Admin need to be accountable; after over 3 years of crap, I'm at the point where I'd rather do something else with my time than watch these games. We've been members for 20+ years and it really sucks to see the state we're in.

Reply #389901 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

BJF is right - Cadee was WRECKED when he first sat down. I asked people near me if he had the flu.

Reply #389902 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I'd much rather have seen Gibson at the point and Massingdale at the 2 spot for the last 5 minutes of that match instead of Crosswell and Gibson, I reckon CJ's got all sorts of veteren smarts and would find plenty of ways to score and contribute if given meaningful minutes but it's virtually impossible to have any sorts of consistent performance when you're only on a for a handful of minutes at a time.

I genuinely think if Crosswell and Schencher both got injured and were out for the rest of the season we would see better results from the team. It's not that Schench is having a bad season as such (although I've never seen anyone blow so many lay ups), and Crosswell has had his moments, but having 9 players in the main rotation is just far too many for one 40 minute game each week (or very occasionally 2 games). If we had Gibson, Cadeee, CJ, Creek, Weigh, DJ and Petrie all playing between 20 and 35 minutes per game I think we'd have far better chemistry than what we've got right now.

On another note, I've seen heaps of Kings games this season and never thought anything of Kevin White, as soon as Madgen gets hurt this afternoon White simply turns into Madgen himself and starts reigning points down. That was bullshit.

Reply #389913 | Report this post

Tony Crav  
Years ago

Ok so objectively; what's Marty's win-loss as senior men's coach? What's radford's?? What's the trainers? What's the soccer hagi-something guy? What's the manager? (my advance apologies if he's 'special' I've only met him once and he appeared Special needs, so good on him!) what's Leanne CEO record?

Reply #389918 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"Schencher both got injured and were out for the rest of the season we would see better results from the team"

Obviously you don't see how many scoring opportunities schenscher creates when he is on the court. He isn't having the best year with his layups but we are also not playing to his strengths around the basket and giving him the ball in his favoured positions. DJ performs well on stats but as a team player he is nothing compared to schens
Without him in the team DJ would be our defender...today he had a 5ftnothing guy drive on him 3 times and didn't even raise his freaking arms!!

Reply #389921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for pointing that out BJF. I thought Marty couldn't coach but now I know that Caddee had the flu and Creek had a sprained ankle it all makes sense.

The funniest part is the team looked good in the last quarter when it appeared that Gibson turned into Kobe and said "stuff these fools" and took over himself.

It's a pity DJ never got to work with a Dunlap or Goorjian style coach to see if they could have improved his defence. He scored 24 but gave up 40. Couldn't get an offensive board in the last quarter when Henry was on him.

So frustrating to watch DJ look like he can't breathe because he is so fatigued when running back on defence only for him to run like a gazelle full of energy when someone else gets a steal.

Reply #389923 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

If someone has time or the info, tony crav's question is an interesting one to know the answer for.....

Reply #389926 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

As in NBL or including AIS?

Reply #389933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 2 & 1/3 seasons as coach of the 36ers Marty Clarke has a 22-44 win/loss record.

2010/11: 9-19

2011/12: 8-20

2012/13: 5-5

Close to 2.5 years in the job for just a 33% success rate.

Reply #389940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for marty to go, i think the whole coaching staff needs to be re arranged, we nearly have the talent to compete with euroleague teams, yet still fall at sydeny sized hurdles. Shame.

Reply #389941 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

agree with anonymous. Best line up in the league, worst coaching. Shit I would take Paul Woolpert even instead.

Reply #389942 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Woolpert is actually a great coach for a veteran / stacked side. If he had this Adelaide roster he would do wonders.

He's just no good at motivating an underdog.

Reply #389946 | Report this post

woolypert  
Years ago

Mick you could probably be a great coach of a veteran stacked side. The measure of a good/great coach is his ability to adapt develop and work with the strengths and weaknesses of his group.

Reply #389960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After seeing games like this when a team stacked with talent go missing in action, I wonder why clubs don't take a punt on proven Coaches who aren't in a current gig, like Brendan Joyce. The man is hot tempered, alright, but a hell of alot more temper, guts, passion and accountability would be given to the club and toward the players and that's something the club's been lacking for a good few years now. The passion and guts just aren't there. Just a thought, though it's probably been raised previously.

Reply #389994 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Agree anon chocco or even Gleeson would automatically have this squad in the playoffs. Marty's not up to it & never will be...

Reply #390000 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would rather Gleeson, Stacker, etc. Would struggle to follow a team led by FOSOJ.

Reply #390011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, Brendan is a bit too much.

Stacker or even a Joey Wright would be ideal.

Reply #390014 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Although Cadee was unfit to play , Clarke doesn't have the confidence in CJ Creek and others.
Ken Cole is here.

Reply #390023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My vote would be with Guy Molloy, Trevor Gleeson, Stacker or giving Smyth another go, Guy Molloy is my first choice, i thought he was good with Cairns, and Goorj gave him huge raps at the Dragons.

Wright would be ok, but not as sold on him, to me he has had some stacked rosters and not always done that well.

I also dont really want FOSOJ either, especially if it means SOJ becomes starting PG.

Reply #390047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright did win a title with the Bullets in '07 but that was a very stacked roster and on the whole the point is valid.

Reply #390051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel, Ken Cole's ongoing comments deriding Xs and Os coaching is off-putting for me. Smyth always at least had Breheny backing him up and who was the strategical brains of the operation.

Molloy, Baldwin, ask Goorjian what it'd take just in case. Not so keen on Wright - same suspicion as anon.

Reply #390083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stacker would be my choice.

I don't think SOS could come close to affording Goorjian.

Reply #390088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All those listed bar Goorj arent coaching in the league now for a reason. if they were that good they would be on coaching panles somewhere.

Reply #390089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or their prices are too high compared to what they used to get paid.

Reply #390104 | Report this post

To Tony Crav. I don't get the dig at trainers etc? What have they got to do with win/loss if it doesn't seem a fitness issue? Also who do you refer to as the manager? Are you talking about Jazzy, the guy that had the wacky mo yesterday? If so, you are so wrong about "special needs". I hear he is probably the hardest working guy in the whole place according what some players have told me. I don't know who you refer to but there are no special needs people involved in this team and I don't think there is any need for such a comment.

I like most would love to cheer on our team to a few good home wins. This is a great team. Hopefully it all comes together real soon, one way or the other. Having been a season ticket holder for more than 10 years and a fan for 25 it's hard not to want to get us back to the smyth glory days, after all it feels like this team could be as good as our 1998/99 one.

Reply #390110 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754