Isaac
Years ago

Funny China beats Australia

84-82.

Yao Ming with 28. Nielsen with 24.

This is according to the FIBA Buzzer program I installed. Links off to some cool stats.

Nielsen 24, Heal 18, Bogut 9, Cattalini 7, Ronaldson 5, Maher and Rogers 4.

Ronaldson had a chance to win the game on the buzzer with a 3-point attempt, but missed it. From outside, China were 57% to Australia's 32%. China went to the line 42 times to our 15. We were out-rebounded 28-21.

Topic #301 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Boy Gorj has 2 of the best 3 point shooters ever in this squad yet Bear has the last shot. Obviously do not know the circumstances but can not imagine why he would be the go to player.

Reply #2284 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

I still remember the NBL semis a few yrs back when the ball went to our man sappa twice down the closing stages of the game for 3 pt shots to keep the 6ers in the game. Smythe said he felt that the other team were going to expect someone else to shoot it so the play was sapper.

Dont pretend to know about NBL much anymore but ronaldson did have good 3 pt shot for a BIG fella a few yrs ago (and the confidence to back it up).

Its probably also easier to get a shot off quickly, in the dying seconds if your around 6 foot 8 as Ronaldson would be instead of a 6 foot guard as Heal is.

Reply #2286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else think that is a good effort?

To only lose to China with Yoa by 2 points!

Hopefully this is a good sign for the team, and a confidence booster.

Reply #2295 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I would rather use ronaldson to screen Brett or Heal for a three than bear having a wide open 3

Reply #2297 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

I would rather have ronaldson handing out the towels!
Or
The H2O!
Or
The tickets!
Or
Souviners
Or
Keys
or
pom-poms
or
Hot Dogs

J bags you are rude!
Eh!

Reply #2308 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

China's guards are pretty weak. Seems like me to be a pretty shocking result.

Isaac, I have the fiba buzzer installed, but at start-up it keeps saying 24.7.2004 is not a valid date. My date and time on my cpu are fine. Did this happen to you?

Reply #2316 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeh, was just talking to DJ -- happened to him too.

It'll probably come up with a few errors occasionally and make some clicking noises (reloading or something), but it seems to work apart from that. Good idea, I think.

Reply #2318 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

"Ronaldson had a chance to win the game on the buzzer with a 3-point attempt, but missed it."

-myeh, if it were a medal game i might be annoyed if ronaldson missed the buzzer beater. a leadup game against china, you win some you lose some.

"From outside, China were 57% to Australia's 32%."

-either our perimeter defense is terrible or china got lucky. i dont see our perimeter defensive pro J.Smith among those scorers, anyone know how many minutes he got?

"China went to the line 42 times to our 15."

-either we aren't be aggressive enough and settling for jumpshots too much, or the refing was poor.

"We were out-rebounded 28-21."

-not a terrible margin playing against yao.

Reply #2336 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

here is the url to the box score:

http://ba1.basketball.net.au/resources/ba/boomers/china.htm

as a team we put up ALOT of 3s.
3pt FG Attempts - Aus 38, China 14
neilsen was the only player to put up more than 3 2pt fg attempts for australia.

Reply #2337 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

They must have a different way of counting rebounds than they do for ABL/NBL/NBA in China. I see the stats say that there were only 49 rebounds for the game, with China winning 28/21, but Australia missed 42 Field Goals (combined 2 & 3) and China missed 30. That means there was 30 Team Rebounds for the Game, which would be an unusually high number I would think.

Reply #2341 | Report this post

international  
Years ago

Australia will never have a premier team that will match the world's best teams with the likes of Lithuania, Germany, France etc.
The only real player there who happens to be 20 and the youngest is Bogut the rest have their own styles and arrogance which seems highly obvious when watching it through the TV screen (there'll never be an AUstralia with a medal at the world's or O-Games). Personal opinion.

Reply #41675 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754