Anonymous
Years ago

Does DJ have the will to win......

.....or is he more interested in his stats?

I am at the point now where I question this kid's priorities. You can be certain that if DJ hasn't shot for two minutes he will force the next three shots (which usually will be some off balance trash). Everyone knows his defense is a disgrace and his effort levels on anything that doesn't involve him getting a shot is pathetic.

With everyone else on the roster win or lose you know they were having a cack, but with DJ it never feels that way. What topped it off for me was his fiveaa interview during the week where he pretty much blamed his former team-mates for the last two seasons win-loss records.

It makes me sick to watch him play and I can't believe I'm getting to the point where I'd rather not go to games.

Marty lets him get away with murder and is clearly not the coach to get the best out of him because his attitude seems to be getting worse.

Has anyone else had enough of watching the vomit that is DJ's shot selection and effort?

Topic #30101 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

What would make me even more frustrated aif I were a Sixers fan is that you have a great well-rounded player in Anthony Petrie stuck behind him.

Sixers would probably be better off without DJ and Marty.

But hey, it could be worse: you could have Ben Allen as your "young, perimeter-focused, defensively-challenged big man of the future"

Reply #389964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True forgot about Ben Allen. But at least he's irmly stuck to the bench now!

Reply #389965 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I like what DJ brings to the table offensively but defensively he just doesnt put in the effort coupled with no f'n idea. Most games he will only accumalate 1 foul, he should be using a couple more coming across and hammering the guards who get into the lane for a lay up. I'm not asking him to be a great defender, I just want him to put in some effort and make those guards think twice before they go in the paint again!

Reply #389973 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledger/DJ

Reply #389976 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

OP goes way too far, but yeah, his D has been pathetic since he got here. He's a complete softcock on the court but still offensively talented enough to be worthwhile IMO.

Having said that, I have thought his D this year has improved from the last two - probably because he isn't forced to guard the monster Cs quite as often.

Reply #389979 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mystro what does Pledger/DJ mean? Or did you mean Pledger > DJ?

Reply #389996 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Would much rather see Petrie start and bring DJ off the bench for some instant offense.

Reply #389997 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Haters will always hate.

"or is he more interested in his stats?"

His points per game average has gone down as has his shot attempts indicating he is playing more of a team game.

"You can be certain that if DJ hasn't shot for two minutes he will force the next three shots (which usually will be some off balance trash)."

You bring his apparent bad shooting up in a game he shoots over 50% 9/17 with the team only shooting at 37% (21-56) without him. Sorry for letting facts get in the way of your story.

You are right though he does shoot a couple of bad shots each game but so does Weigh, Gibson, Schenscher and Cadee. However don't mention that as it will detract from your story.

"Everyone knows his defense is a disgrace and his effort levels on anything that doesn't involve him getting a shot is pathetic."

His defense has actually improved this season. As x said it is probably because he is guarding PF's instead of Centers now but the fact remains he has improved.

He is second in the league in total rebounds per game and second in the league in defensive rebounds per game (even with Schenscher and Petrie in his team). Yes that sounds pretty pathetic to me.

One game he had 7 assist which was crucial in a win against Sydney.

Actually the worst thing about DJ which you failed to mention is his turnovers. He had 6 last game which took his average out to 2.9 per game. I would put that down to trying too much as well as sometimes lazyness which all players are guilty of.

Reply #390002 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Rebounding isn't defense, KingJames...

Jacob Holmes, for example, is a fantastic rebounder but not a great defender by any stretch.

Reply #390006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Holmes is a reasonable defender.

And rebounding counts towards D. Any defensive board you get (however easy) obviously denies the other team an offensive rebound. If any given team got all their defensive boards, they'd be on their way to winning, IMO.

---

Panther, or start DJ with Petrie, but bring Schenscher off the bench as an X factor.

Reply #390007 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Agree that Jacob is an OK defender, his deficiency is either height or athleticism. Not quick enough to guard smaller 4's ala Redhage not big enough to guard the bigger ones like DJ or Ballinger.

Reply #390013 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Holmes is an average defender. Reasonable even, sure.

Being a rebounder definitely counts towards defense as you said, but guys like Holmes, or Kevin Love in the NBA for example, are absolutely amazing rebounders while only remaining average/reasonable on defense as a whole.

Reply #390016 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Mick, my point on that matter was that the OP said that anything DJ does other then shoot is pathetic. Being second in the league in total and defensive rebounds is not pathetic.

As for his defense he has improved.

Reply #390018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingJames he hardly contests any shots and puts his team-mates in situations where they have to help because he can't contain anyone.

Who cares if he shots 50%, the guy fails the 'eye test'. If he didnt force up such terrible off-balanced soft shots in big moments he might be shooting at 60% for us, who knows.

I'd give you that his defensive rebounding is solid, his offensive rebounding is below par however and the guy is a straight chemistry killer.

Reply #390028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also big Luke gives us the X factor defensively, he needs to play more minutes, starting and just not hard hedge the pick and rolls so aggresively to stay out of foul trouble.

Starting DJ and Petrie together will be heaven for opposing bigs. Petrie struggles defensively as well at times (but at least has a crack).

I'd just start Peach over DJ.

Reply #390030 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Obviously the guy can rebound and put the ball in the hole. There are worse big men out there, believe me, my Crocs have plenty of them...

Playing alongside Peach and Schenscher he should only get better, but at the same time, it is a damn shame seeing Petrie come off the bench when he would start on most NBL teams.

Reply #390031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My original question still stands...is anyone convinced that his number one priority is winning????

His actions on court seem to indicate otherwise.

Reply #390034 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

In a word, no.

But put it in perspective: he has only ever played on bad teams (except for this year) and under bad coaches.

The priorities on a young, losing team are different: working on your game, week-to-week improvement, setting small personal goals. The team stuff can fly out the window pretty quick. The team-first stuff can become seemingly irrelevant because a young guy will think "we are going to lose whether everyone plays together or not, so I may as well get mine".

Now that he is on a proper team it's up the older guys to take him under their wing and teach him how to win at the pro level. It would be foolish to rely on the coaching staff for such direction because they have maturity issues of their own to overcome...

Reply #390038 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

In a word, no.

But put it in perspective: he has only ever played on bad teams (except for this year) and under bad coaches.

The priorities on a young, losing team are different: working on your game, week-to-week improvement, setting small personal goals. The team stuff can fly out the window pretty quick. The team-first stuff can become seemingly irrelevant because a young guy will think "we are going to lose whether everyone plays together or not, so I may as well get mine".

Now that he is on a proper team it's up the older guys to take him under their wing and teach him how to win at the pro level. It would be foolish to rely on the coaching staff for such direction because they have maturity issues of their own to overcome...

Reply #390039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep I reckon you're spot on Mick.

It's a shame that the 36ers don't have a coach who can get his head into the right mental space.

Reply #390040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, people could argue the same of Marty sometimes...

If you want to shed a tear sometime, look up the blocks per game list and check out who's ahead of DJ there. A lot of people. 0.2 BPG.

Reply #390042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is too busy playing with his shorts to play defence, you know they just have to sit right for his next attacking move. personally i don't mind if he jacks up bad shots, everyone does that from time to time, i loathe the fact he is too lazy or too dumb to follow his shot in and pick up an offensive board. not sure eh would know what an offensive rebound was even if it bit him on the arse

Reply #390049 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He gives that appearance : he couldn't play this or that , he played whatever he wanted and embellished what he pleased .
The same at training , but at 7 foot there are restrictions.

Reply #390064 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Generally I agree that DJ has improved his D and rebounding. I thought he was a bit lazy a few times yesterday tho. There was one play where he was pickpocketed as he went to his move and loafed back down court, getting there just in time to hammer the guy who got the offensive rebound when if he'd hustled he would almost certainly have grabbed the first rebound.

Overall tho it was the usual problem for this team, which is collectively too slow to cover quick guards, and continually results in missed rotations and open shots. That is why Sydney is a challenge for us: Henry, Bruce and Madgen create havoc with their speed!

This team needs to continue to work hard at sending drivers to the help and to get smarter at recovering to their man. Until that happens they are a 4th placed team at best.

Reply #390074 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Marty's W/L Ratio in the prior 2 seasons was 33%.

So far this year it is 50%.

The trend is going the right way...the team is improving.

Reply #390091 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was improving. Over the weekend, it was 0-2 in games it definitely should've won. 0%! ;)

Reply #390094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt they are better than last year, but is the coach holding the team's improvement back? He’s like a dead weight on seeing their potential fulfilled..

Reply #390096 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

DJ could and should be a better player. He doesn't have the best attitude but this is something that can be changed. Clark hasn't done anything to help this along. Bring in Mark Davis as a mentor to him and watch him improve.

Reply #390144 | Report this post

woolypert  
Years ago

How do people know what is going on inside of DJ.
His body movement posture and short tugging may not
be a real indication of how he is feeling internally.
You could always have a player that looks to be giving his all and putting up less than half what DJ is doing. Player of week just recently, MVP last year
r/up MVP year before. Just 24, still years off maxing out as a 7footer. Will continue to get better. Shot selection and defense priorities. Compare him to other 4 men in comp. His problem is that he has great talent so he is "a victim" of our alive and well very tall poppy system.

Reply #390270 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754