Tutes
Years ago

Suggestions for Massingale's replacement

Bring back Darren Ng!

He will provide the 3 point shooter that Adelaide need.

People may question his defence, but he always gives it his all.

Will be useful as a 10-12 minute player.

Ng would be on a similar salary to Massingale you would think.

Topic #30127 | Report this topic

Opt  
Years ago

I was thinking about darren whilst reading 36 reasons column 5 minutes ago. Hopefully hes ready to throw a shirt back on

Reply #390521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I agree with your logic, the only reason for cutting CJ has to be to get a star (or something close) import or even aussie. Not another so so role player.

Reply #390522 | Report this post

Mika  
Years ago

Ng is on 6 figures as a doctor, lol why would he come back as a cheap role player 3 month contract?

Reply #390523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng, serious guys?? Watch the games, we can't get massingale an open shot same thing will happen with ng.

Reply #390524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There must be a plan to bring in someone behind the scenes or Clarke has just publicly shown us all he lives in a parallel universe.

To me this a career deciding gamble

Reply #390525 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Clarke's not a fan of catch and shoot
wants a create off the dribble.

Reply #390526 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Anonymous I think you are giving Clarke too much Credit. The team would have used practically all salary cap this season. So lets just say CJ was on 70k, how do you think they will get a "Star" import or Australian with that money?

Clarke's buddy Daly will probably move into the team and that will be it for the rest of the season.

If they some how find a star for 70k I will be more then happy to eat my words.

Reply #390527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hoping they had someone signed and on the plane already, so they have some chance of suiting this weekend, which i think is needed.

Any rumours on who it is?

Imo we need a scoring swingman who can score around 15-20ppg and Clarke needs to actually play them. A Farley/Ere mould player is what we need.

Not sure exactly who is available/affordable, but some imports with NBL experience who may be willing to come cheap could be guys like Gilchrist, Dorsey, Devendorf, Sanders, Braswell, Grizzard, Ubaka, Williams, Bowen, Rose.

Not convinced any of them would be ideal out of that list id take Bowen, Sanders, Devendorf or Dorsey though,

given there wouldnt be much money to spend on this spot they may be as good as it gets, i personally hope they unveil the next Farley, but id say thats highly unlikely given budget available and previous selections by the coach

Reply #390529 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

At this point with the little cash we have left i imagine, stuff finding the next Farley lets bring the man himself back. Played ok a couple of years ago and if nothing else is a fan favourite. I'm sure he could give you what CJ did with his eyes closed.

This whole thing just stinks to me, fire that guy so attention goes off me.

Reply #390530 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Kavossy Franklin the former PG of the Hawks?

Reply #390531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as i loved Farley and Franklin I ruled them both out due to age, they would likely end up more like Abney than what we need, but hey i guess the curious side of me wouldnt be against a Farley return either, see if he can still drop 20 ppg on teams today! But we do need someone younger id be looking at guys in Dleague, college grads who may be willing to come cheap to prove themselves, like Ebi Ere did back in the day.

Reply #390532 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Anonymous, out of that list perhaps Braswell would be ideal. Can create his own shot, hit the 3 and has confidence. Also he probably would play for that sort of money.

Also must take into account the coach probably wont remove anyone from the starting 5 and that anyone scoring 15-20ppg would put them in the top 5 players in the league and for 70k that is very unreasonable.

Reply #390535 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I'll be surprised if they replace Massingale. I believe we have enough talent on the roster to move on without anyone else. The decision by the club provides 3-5 minutes more court time opportunity for players like Creek and Weigh.

Reply #390536 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

BigAds, you could be right it could just be a ploy to save money. The organisation perhaps felt they wouldn't be any better or any worse without CJ so might as well save the money but I don't think many fans will like that way of thinking.

Reply #390539 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty's decision, not the club's. So, not a money saving decision.

Reply #390540 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I'm not convinced money is really the motivation here KJ.

Club have made it clear that Marty came to them with the recommendation to cut CJ, they simply supported his position. As such I doubt it was about the money, that's not Marty's concern.

I think Marty was simply struggling to get court time for all the players and applied the addition by subtraction theory.

Reply #390541 | Report this post

mk  
Years ago

No way u can win a tittle with all aussie team!!!

Reply #390543 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Sorry for the echo folks

Reply #390545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do they need to replace him?
They have a multitude of guards to choose from, and Tom Daly. They don't have to replace him.

You have Cadee and Gibson taking huge chunks of the minutes, the Crosswell off the bench and Daly. Mitch Creek can play a bit at the 2 guard spot. Clarke just has to play around with his rotations.

Reply #390546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty has made it clear that they are looking for a replacement. I am not holding my breath as the money they have to offer will not attract any A class talent and I have to ask what's the point anyway? He will find another affordable import and just rest him on the bench for the majority of the season.

If you read the article Boti wrote on adelaidenow tonight, Marty refers to CJ's production in the pre-season and compares it with his production in the regular season, I guess to provide justification for their decision. It's pretty clear to me that CJ's production was pretty similar to the pre-season given the minutes he was allowed. In the regular season he has averaged less than 10 minutes a game and in the pre-season he averaged over 20 minutes a game, and guess what? He produced more. Funny that.

It is becoming very obvious to all the supporters who is responsible for the team's lack of performance. Maybe another small crowd and a blowout loss to Perth will make it more obvious to the higher powers that be?

Reply #390547 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Bring in a new coach to bring back NG & have some fun with Marty's fuck ups! Wow the right person could make him look really stupid - quicker rather than later..

Reply #390549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mika, Ng was probably on a 6 figure dollar salary as a doctor last year, but still suited for the 36ers.

He may be willing to reduce some hours as a doctor (and some money from his job) to play for love of the game and minimal money.

It's not every day that one gets to play basketball at NBL level, and Ng doesn't seem like the Kurt Tippett type to chase ridiculously big dollars.

Reply #390550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like it's going to be another import.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-adamant-cj-massingale-not-made-scapegoat-for-form-slump/story-fndekpx4-1226530724788

Reply #390552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '550, not every day you play NBL, unless you're Darren and have already played for years. He has a new son and is not interested in playing NBL. Waste of time discussing it. He could've made the same call before this season and didn't.

BidAds, I don't think this call is addition by subtraction. Marty has no financial stake and interest in saving money unless he's going to want to spend it later.

mk, load of crap. Put Bruton in Perth for Lisch and Perth could do it.

Reply #390553 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Maybe Marty Clarke heard Ken Cole's comments about using only 7 or 8 guys in the rotation?

The question I ask is why replace CJ? It might give someone like Mitch Creek more court time which IMO he deserves (and hopefully at the expense of the defensively defficient Nathan Crosswell). Creek can play both the 2 and 3 spots. He's one of the league's best defenders and while he hasn't got a great mid-long range shot, give him an inch and he'll attack the basket just about every time. He just needs to learn to pass more, currently he's only averaging 0.3 assists per game.

Reply #390556 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I agree Issac, Marty has no financial interest. The addition by subtraction comment was in reference to Clarke possibly finding it easier to get better output from the rotations by having CJ removed from the equation.

Reply #390560 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

maybe replace massingale with trevor gleeson.

Reply #390567 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You don't have to cut a player to play someone else more minutes and simplify a rotation. You just don't play them. This is purely about cutting him before probation was up and having a chance to replace him and hopes that is enough to get them through close games.

Paying out two coaches and potentially pissing off the playing group is a big call. A few of the younger players are very keen on him.

Reply #390570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few of the younger players a very keen on him !
Yes Cadee - promised to start, Weigh say no more.
Creek - misguided loyalty. The rest will tow party line as professionals will.

Reply #390572 | Report this post

AB  
Years ago

go for former cairns import Andrew Warren... good size... good shooter... ive met him a few times and is a good fella too!!

Reply #390574 | Report this post

Pie Cart  
Years ago

i was thinking in the same mind as AB warren from cairns shot the ball well whilst in Cairns,we need someone to come off the bench give a bit of spark,NG would be good but he is earning 6 figures as a Dr .

A shooting guard would be good ,hope Clarke gets a good replacement.not a dud please,i believe Clarke had some names on his list before settling with Massingale(cheap option)

Reply #390575 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

The Whisper is Warren!!

Reply #390576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm seriously starting to hate the NBL, REALLY hate it. Give me SEABL any day of the week now. What ever happened to recruiting a team and COACHING them, this revolving door of players coming and going is killing the chemistry in teams and killing the attachment fans get to teams... It need to stop soon or the League will implode.

Reply #390579 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

J U L I U S

Reply #390581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cj for kev? Has a team won an a tittle without an import? Brutons dad was an import so he got the genes buddy! Adelaide n townsvile shoud merge! Both got somthin common! Both got shite coaches front office and the supporters that try hard to follow but a few ppl just dont listen!

Reply #390589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Julius Hodge

Reply #390593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Andrew Warren playing in Italy now?

Reply #390617 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

Just echoing what Holden V8 was saying. I think this is a great chance to increase Creek's minutes which he definitely deserves. I'm sick of seeing him only get 8-12 every game, especially when the stats show he's an efficient scorer, rebounds the ball well, defends well and just brings speed and athleticism to a group that seriously lacks it. The kid is going to bolt the next chance he gets unless he's given an opportunity to play and considering the fact he's seriously earned it, now the chance to give it to him has arrived.

Reply #390620 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It wasn't quite $37k, but I heard Deleon was sub-$80k last year with the Blaze. Might be a bit of a black hole, but he can create for himself, that's for sure. Either of the imports the Hawks have this year could've been useful.

I don't remember Warren creating much, mostly just playing as a static shooter?

Reply #390628 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Agree with AK-47 on Creek.

The rotations and the minutes are all out of whack. If Creeky was injured last game I can accept that, but if was only give 2 mins 31 secs and was fully fit.....well that's just a waste.

2:31.

It's pointless getting a replacement if they are just going to sit on the bench and admire the cheerleaders.

So far the average minutes per game are:
Gibbo (32.45), Weigh (31.75), DJ (29.57), Mungo (26.53), Peach (22.88), Luke (22.23), Crossy (13.27), Creeky (13.23), CJ (9.7)

Everyone keeps commenting on poor rotations and minutes, but is part of the problem the length of the runs on court as well?

Compare this to NZ
Jackson (30.8), Abercrombie (28.4), Bruton (22.6), Corletto (22.4), Vukona (22.0), Pledgehammer (21.9), Hudson (17.2), Boucher (17.0), Henry (9.4)

The 9th men are about the same, but the 7th and 8th men for the Breakers are getting more minutes. The Sixers with the top 4 minutes are on court for a total of 16 mins more than the Breakers top 4 minutes players. Does this mean they are more worn out at the crucial times and the others get colder sooner because they aren't in the game? What's the best rotations?

Before CJ is replaced, the question of rotational woes must be answered.

Reply #390641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty should just be the replacement and become a player/ coach.

Reply #390643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should just lock in with what they have and freakin Coach them and make it work, try and develop the group they have.

Im sick of seeing coaches and clubs take the easy way out and just cycle players through mid season.

They have a good group already, find a combination that works well together and build some chemistry, throwing another player at the team wont fix them.
The NBL should make clubs submit team lists and lock them into them for the whole season and only let them bring players in to cover injuries otherwise promote development players onto the rotation.
Unrealistic i know but Look at other sports like AFL where they have a fixed list that cant be altered, it encourages teams to develop their rookies and stops all this rubbish.

Reply #390651 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jackie Moon

Reply #390674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, teams would just fake injuries to replace players. They already do or exaggerate issues to save face for the player.

Reply #390679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would be the point of sacking CJ is they weren't going to replace him?
A couple of things, I don't think we need another small guard, such as Braswell or even daly. We need a scoring 2/3. I also think that people give Creek a bit too much credit. He's not a star player right now and 10-15 minutes a night is about right. He's not really a guy the produces a lot with more minutes.

I do like the Warren suggestions.

Reply #390715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To stop the mid season player turnover, could the NBL expand rosters to 12 players and allow upto 3 imports, submit team lists a month before the season starts and have no changes, you just have to cop the injuries like AFL clubs do.

Another in between option could allow you to replace players with season ending injury if a league appointed doctor agrees it is geniuine, and make it so the replacement has to be an Australian or one of your development players to avoid my import is 'injured' scams.

Another issue could be a team may want to wait on a player like a Neville who has NBA trials during the start of the season, maybe you could list them and take the risk they will come (with NBA outclauses) or start the season with less than 12 players and add him in, not sure how this scenario would work if you had to submit lists pre-season and it would be a shame to have Neville out of the league, maybe have the list cut off date at say November 30, enough time after the NBA starts to fit these guys in.

Reply #390721 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think teams cutting and swapping players is as big a problem as you think. You really want Townsville to have to play out the season with Forte and Withers scoring 3-5 PPG?

Why impose two extra player salaries per team and have guys riding the pine permanently just because a handful don't love player turnover?

Reply #390729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True

Reply #390746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe coaches and teams need to put more effort into proper thorough scouting and recruiting players, (and maybe owners who know nothing about basketball need to stay out of that process).
Locking in playing groups will put the onus back on the recruitment process and make Coaches "COACH".

Reply #390758 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I've really disliked the amount of people on Creek's bandwagon the last few years demanding him more minutes but I've come to the conclusion that WE NEED TO PLAY CREEK MORE. Him and Petrie are the only two that attack the ring hard and finish. Cadee attacks but settles with floaters and runners due to his small stature. Crosswell doesn't attack hard and what I've seen of Gibson is that he is more a floor spacer and not as aggressive as I'd like him to be. Weigh is better used as a shooter, or in the post as a playmaker. He just doesn't have the athleticism or finishing ability's like Creek.

By no means am I a Creek fanboi but the simple fact is that he has to play a few minutes a game more.

Reply #390766 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ingles, get on board the Creek Train.

Like you say, he's an exciting player, athletic, aggressive to the basket, can create something out of nothing and when he is on court, something happens.

He is treated poorly. I am trying to work out if he is treated like a good piece of china only brought out when grandma comes over, or if he is treated like the naughty stepson and kept in the woodshed, shunned from the eyes of visitors.

He needs more minutes. 2:31 last week. If he was injured, that's understandable, but if not, that's poor IMO. 2:31.

Reply #390769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Bigads' are you kidding me with one of your posts saying cutting CJ would free up an extra 3-5 mins of court time for Creek and dare I say it Weigh!!
Do you honestly think Weigh derserves more court time than the huge amount he's getting already???
He would be leading the team in minutes played which is a disgrace!! We need to take 10 mins off Weigh and only play him for max 20 mins per game. That of course will never while Marty is here as he would've must have promised Weigh a certain amount of court time per game in his contract!!!

Reply #390776 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Thanks Anon, I had expected a bite much earlier than this, but it came eventually. Very much a tongue in cheek reference to Stephen.

Reply #390783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Creek, Petrie and Cadee were apparently playing sick in that last game.

Reply #390795 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

When someone posts about Weigh getting more minutes there's usually not much on the hook

Reply #390798 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

And if the post is about Marty getting another 3 years there's usually a bit of berley in the water

Reply #390800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just hoping Daly does not get put back into the 10 man roster. He isnt quite at that level yet.

Reply #390846 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

Braswell? Seriously? How is that any improvement over CJ?

No way it's Chris Warren. Terrible fit. Checked his twitter and absolutely no suggestions there, just his usual insight into poetry, the middle east etc

twitter.com/Dub_tooRAW

Reply #390855 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754