Avanti
Years ago

Willie's agent speaks out

Todays Advertiser has the following article with Willie's agent scathing to say the least of how contract negotiations have gone.

36ers 'lack class' in Farley deal

Topic #3013 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I wonder if this is the same agent that made Willie hold out for more cash last time only to get him a gig at the pigs for less than he was on here originally.

Another opportunity for Boti to attack Saunders....is he still leaving in April?

Reply #34419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No its not the same agent

Reply #34421 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #34423 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Did you read _ "Our negotiations have been done in a professional manner and we have signed seven players of the roster."

Seven players?

Hmmm, who could that be?

Reply #34425 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Has Maher signed yet?

Also is the reason Farley needs to take a pay cut because of BASA debts?

Reply #34426 | Report this post

Wish I could Dunk  
Years ago

Reply #34436 | Report this post

AsIseeIt  
Years ago

YES! I heard that he actually cut the crusts off his gourmet sandwiches.
This could be why he is offering crumbs instead of hope & enthusiasm fot next season

Reply #34437 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

If the 36ers want to increase their crowd levels and supporter base again they are going to have to start making decisions and trying to keep players like Farley around as they are the ones who are going to bring the crowds back to the Dome.

Reply #34441 | Report this post

Wish I could Dunk  
Years ago

Why dont we let Sturt offically run the Sixers and basketball in general?

Champion Club must me champion administrators too

Reply #34444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Six signings are Rychart, Holmes, Forman, Hill, Nash, Cooper (not announced on the Sixers site that I saw). Nash's contract has an element that says that if he misses a certain number of games due to a back injury, the Sixers don't have to pay out the contract. Nashy is very confident of his recovery (see SEABL stats as proof) and has put that on the line with the contract which is very admirable.

The seventh signing referred to, I would guess, is Maher's verbal agreement to return if he doesn't receive a better offer prior to signing a contract. As I mentioned last night, this is because the club are not permitting Euro out-clauses, so Maher is forced to test his worth before signing. "Forced" makes it sound bad, but I guess it's just what is going to happen if the club wants that security of not losing players to Europe.

Willie is surely looking for somewhere to settle with his family. If he naturalises, you have a huge asset to your team. How is the same salary this year, plus a boost for year 2 and year 3 not acceptable to the club? The guy was almost league MVP!

Reply #34445 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Brave move by the club to not permit Euro out clauses. Any top quality player would be crazy to sign under those conditions, or are very loyal to the 36ers. Which is, I guess, what they are banking on with Maher.

I reckon they might struggle to keep someone like Brad Hill or Jacob Holmes for much longer if they continue with that philosophy. Why would they sign here and miss out on any big Euro offers when they can sign for Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne and still keep their options open?

Unless other NBL clubs are doing it too it's just another 'selling point' that other clubs have over us.

Reply #34468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

besides the obvious reason (money), it could explain why catt went to taipans?

Reply #34469 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Cat's contract stated that he had to come back here as long as Phil and Steve were the coaches.

When they came out of contract the sixers had no coach oficially and therefore allowed Cat to sign wth Cairns.

Had admin signed Steve and Phil prior to seasons end then Cat would be a sixer this year.

Reply #34470 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

The way this is heading I really don't see Farley a Sixer next season. I think it was kind of stupid what Farley's agent has done, as past shows the Sixers don't like to be made fools of and I really don't think they'll stand for this kind of embarassment from Willie's agent.

Reply #34476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

of course they're pretty good at looking like fools without any external help....

Reply #34477 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

I think it's great what Agent has done.

Not only lets us 'fans' know what is going on and who is causing the ruckus but shows what Farley wants and lets us decide who is causing the stalemate and/or breakdown in negotiations.
States that if first year deal is same as last season then would have signed.
Also that negs started LAST SEASON but are still ongoing which is ludicrous - does 'management' want a star player or not?

Reply #34479 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

So Wak are you saying you believe everything that comes out of the agents mouth? Youve got to be kidding!
His job is to get as much money for his client (and therefore himself) so just cause he rings Boti to have a winge I doubt very much that we are getting the full story - from EITHER side.

Reply #34497 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Wrong time to bring in the Euro no-out clause, when Maher has been a devout Sixer all his life.

I could not see Brett going anywhere else after a stint in Europe is over.

Maybe instead of that they should put a clause in their contract statig they will return to the sixers after European committments are over.

That provides both the security of being able to take the big dollars in Europe, but still keeping the sixers safe that these top players will return.

Reply #34510 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

the issue i picked up from the paper is the agent saying "We've even said if they keep him at the salary he made this year and leave years two and three undisturbed, we would take that."

how can the sixers not offer a proven import star a contract worth the same amount?

If he wasn't performing, maybe they could considering a pay-cut, but that isn't the case.

are the sixers still trying to slash 5-10% from their salaries? Perhaps they first need to look at management.

Reply #34511 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Reply #34541 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Stop it Stephon you are making too much sense ;)

Well said!

Reply #34542 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Official response of the 36ers has been posted on the 36ers website to Nagy's article.

Apparently Farley's agent wanted the 36ers to give him a house for free under the table (a house to own, not rent free).

A free house (lets say $350k) is a bit different to the comments of Farley's agent that he wanted only $600 a month more. I think a free house would be a slight salary cap infringement!

Like I posted above, there is obviously more to the protracted negotiations than reported by Nagy.

Reply #34553 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I have a tent and some spare grass out back if they want the sixers can offer that to Willie

Reply #34554 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

You shouldn't have posted that Kent.

With the NBL's love of the 36ers, I guarantee you Vlahov, McPeake... err sorry Rick Burton will be investigating your backyard for that tent before approving Farley's contract (if he ever does sign).

I've hear that Moore's contract was declared void with the 36ers because it put us literally only several hundred dollars over the then $700,000.00 salary cap!

Reply #34555 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Statman, never said I believed everything in the media, but the more info that's provided the better an understanding of the situation that can be made - precisely my point previously.
Of course his job is to get as much money for his client, so why would he trash the management of the Sixers in a public paper? In my opinion that wouldn't be too good for negotiations now would it?
Shows how frustrated he is if you ask me, and that Willie WANTS to be here, why would 'negotiations' still be continuing if he didn't?

Reply #34575 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Even if he did want a house, how hard would it have been to get Distinctive Homes to get him one? Does he deserve a house along with his salary?

Reply #34595 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Distinctive have done work for both Brett Maher and Mark Nash in the past. They were in the position to maybe offer a special deal on house and land, but not give away a house. A $300,000 house is not going to happen for Farley and I suspect that this would be a case of Willie's agent greatly misunderstanding the position of the club and what sponsors are able to do.

Reply #34597 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Maybe throw in some free milk to sweeten the deal?

Reply #34611 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Get Ninnis and Bell to talk to Golden North .. and see if Willie can read out the odd ad aswell !!

Reply #34613 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Heard that Farley should be signed hopefully by the end of the week-end.

Lets hope the deal doesn't fall through!

Reply #34689 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754