BALLER#3
Years ago

Is it time for a new NBL?

Is it time to throw out the old nbl and for someone to step in and create a privately run asia/Oceania comp with a new name and new image. If done right I think it would be a lot better for basketball in this country and region.

My ideal comp:

Option 1:
2 conferences - 1 Asian and 1 oceanian
8 teams in each conference, capped at 8 teams to ensure no dissolving of talent.
Play conference teams 4 times 2 home 2 away and inter conference 1 home 1 away.
2, 4 game Inter conference trips to reduce travel
42 game season, separate competition from domestic comps.
2 million salary cap, 1.3 million for 8 players and 700 thousand marquee 1/2 player cap

Eg.
Nbl ends forever, most of the nbl teams in major markets remain in new laague with perhaps another couple of Oceania teams.

Option 2:
Domestic competition run over 3 months with top teams to continue to the international comp.
4 divisions, 4 Australian, 4 oceanian, 4 Chinese, 4 Asian
Play division 4 times, 2 home and 2 away play inter division 2 times 1 home 1 away.
36 game season aswell as shortened domestic comp.
Play inter divisions in three separate 4 game super road trips so reduce travel.
Domestic comp runs from October to Christmas, two week break, Asia/Oceania Comp runs from jan to April with finals in may.
Salary cap would be 1 million for the domestic comp and a further 1.5 million for any team that continues to the new league, marquee player cap 300/700k

Eg.
Nbl remains with a name change as a entry comp for the new league, current nbl would shorten to 14 games and domestic finals over 3 months. Before the top 4 go on to play in the new league

Topic #30134 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Trololololol

Reply #390658 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Would be great but Australian / NZ teams would dominate those in Asia. And Asian teams would have no local players good enough and therefore no fanbase connection.

See: Slingers, Singapore.

Reply #390660 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would it be time for a new NBL? What's wrong with this one? Is it because Massingale got cut?

Reply #390662 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

For the most part, I would say that the NBL has been heading in the right direction over the past few years, and a number of teams have been moving to more sustainable ownership and business models. The competition is much more even than has historically been the case, and while I would like to see a bit more money in the league to have a Newley or a Barlow playing in this country, it is still a pretty decent product.

Game tickets are too expensive though.

Reply #390675 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I am against having Asian teams for the NBL it just makes higher travel costs.

Reply #390684 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

The NBL is heading in the right direction. It all depends on the competency of who you put in charge; whether it's who's running the League or who's running the team.

The biggest hurdle is proving to sponsors that the league is financially viable and worth investing into.

Reply #390688 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Why would this have anything to do with massingale? Obviously you guys haven't talked to anyone who isn't obsessed with basketball? Everyone I know who isn't a mental basketball supporter is not interested in the nbl wha so ever

Reply #390691 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

it's because Jonny Flynn isn't in the Allstar game, did you know he was once drafted at number 6 in the NBA ;)

Reply #390698 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BALLER, so why is the answer to bring in Asian teams and get rid of small market Australian teams? Did all your friends love the NBL when the Slingers were around?

Reply #390702 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Do you read the origjnal post option 2 clearly says the nbl stays pretty much as is and then there is a second season for the best teams to face off for the crown of the entire Asia pacific. With divisions also we would still be mainly playing nbl teams and i think it would be good to see the 36ers up against the best 8 teams of Asia. It's not much extra travel and it would be something different from playing the Perth wildcats

Reply #390732 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

If your are a casual supporter what would you rather, nbl and Asia pacific crown or just an nbl title and that's it. It would provide a little change from the same thing we are seeing now

Reply #390734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will three things bring back 12min qtr, jump ball every qtr and no arrow and throw out the points cap. Other than that all good. Watchin every game now, just be good for the clubs to play in a full house every night no matter where.

Reply #390735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will three things bring back 12min qtr, jump ball every qtr and no arrow and throw out the points cap. Other than that all good. Watchin every game now, just be good for the clubs to play in a full house every night no matter where.

Reply #390736 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754