Jeff
Years ago

Ismail Muhammad - Bakersfield Jam, Former Supercat

Seems like Ismail has been picked up by the Bakersfield Jam in the NBDL. Here's a few highlight dunks from his game the other day.

http://www.nba.com/video/dleague/2012/12/05/highlightsladbak120412mov-2315576/?cid=nba.2013

Surely after dominating SEABL why wasn't this guy picked up by someone in the NBL??? He would be a way better pickup than some of the other imports in this league (Shane Edwards, CJ Massigale, Abney*retired*,etc) He would definitely put bums in seats!

Topic #30135 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

6er's could do worse!

Reply #390663 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Schensch rates him and played with him in college.

Those game highlights include Orien Greene and Jamario Moon (who Wollongong almost signed before he had his main NBA stint).

But, is he really going to do much more than we could get from Creek or could've got from Massingale?

Reply #390664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can dunk, thats about it, Massingale not as athletic but could shoot when on a roll.

Reply #390667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one trick pony.......both of them

Reply #390676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have always wanted Muhammad, he is what the league needs....a high flyer. He got a try out with the Bobcats last year and did pretty well in there 2 pre-season games and could not make an NBL roster? Baffles me.

Reply #390678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea would love to see him given a go at NBL level. Wouldnt be the worst option for the 36ers either especially if he has played with Schenscher before aswell. Even if he is similar to Creek, id pick him up and have Muhammad and Creek play together a bit with Cadee/Gibson throwing some lobs to them and get the crowd going a bit aswell.

Speaking of Greene and Moon, im pretty sure both are out of the NBA at the moment, are they options for NBL clubs? both would be fairly decent imo.

Reply #390685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if he is similar to Creek, id pick him up and have Muhammad and Creek play together a bit with Cadee/Gibson throwing some lobs to them and get the crowd going a bit aswell

Yeah this is going to win you so many games at the NBL level!!

Reply #390707 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

He can shoot the 3 pretty well too. Dont stereotype him as jusk a dunker because he won a dunk comp

Reply #390731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great one on one defender as well. Should have a serious look at him I would think.

Reply #390733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isma'il Muhammad
2004 Captain of Georgia Tech in NCAA Final (10pts 5reb)
2010 SEABL Conference MVP, Defensive player of the year, Finals MVP and Championship player for Geelong Supercats
Led Supercats to conference finals in 2009 and 2011.
2011 went to Bobcats, released just prior to season
2012 led Aukland Priates to NZNBL Title (had better numbers than other import Ron Dorsey)
2012 went to Atlanta Hawks, released just prior to season and farmed out to Jam. He may still end up on the Hawks roster, depending on trades/injury.

A knee injury straight after college hurt his NBA chances but he has been 100% recovered sine 2008.

He could easily play in the NBL. Just needs a team who wants a slasher.

Reply #390748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muhammed couldnt defend anyone. A miserable shooter from the foul line as well. Can dunk for sure, and not always a team player.

Reply #390773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous #748 #678

If Ismail is as good as you guys think he is or "wish" he is why the HELL has he been playing in the SEABL?? Australia's 2nd tier "semi-professional" Feeder league for want of a better term.

If he was such a stud and only just got cut by the Bobcats prior to the season why is/was he playing at country bumpkin Geelong and not CSKA Moscow or some European powerhouse?

Why? Because he quite frankly isn't that good. Simple as that.

Reply #390812 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Misguided and generally poor comments, Izzy has always been good enough to play NBL, he doesn't chase the dolllar because he is a stand up guy who loves the game and the life of a baller ahead of personal glory and fortune.

That's why......!

Reply #390817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't chase the dollars? So why did he walk out on the Supercats last season.? He went chasing the dollars in the NBA. Why they thought he was even anywhere good enough I fail to comprehend. As mentioned before someone how barely shoots above 50% from the FT line cant be that good.
He went chasing the dollars in Kiwi land too.Chose to leave the Supercats despite all the love there. Clearly looking after number one and his pocket.

Reply #390821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ha ha Bear......your funny

Reply #390830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he didnt go chasing dollars in the nba, he had an opportunity to make an NBA roster. What player would NOT take that opportunity? He had the blessings of the supercats to leave and their support in playing in NZ ( a league which did not clash with his NBA tryout). He is a quality player and person, and to say otherwise is ignorant and spiteful.

Reply #390857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or isnt blinkered,one eyed and who isnt clueless

Reply #390860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After being cut by Charlotte, New Zealand worked out a better option for him than returning to Geelong to play SEABL, as the NZ season would finish in time for him to return to America & Charlotte who had invited him to join their summer league team.
And once his commitments in NZ finished, he returned to spend some time in Geelong and catch a couple of Supercat matches - not the sort of thing someone would do who was in it for themselves.
Still very popular at Geelong, can't see that changing

Reply #390866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will never understand the Isma'il haters. You really are ignorant.

If you knew anything about the guy and his impact on the SEABL then you would have no problem with him at all. He like all the imports who have played 3 years or more in the SEABL have been GREAT for Australian Basketball.

Reply #390868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The money on offer in NZ is ridiclous. far more than SEABL would offer. On a per annum basis maybe 2 - 3 times at last. Not after the dollars is rubbish.

Reply #390870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG here we go again. Not after the dollars... Blah blah blah.

He is a professional basketball player, if offered a good contract you expect him to not sign it?

The truth about that situation has already been told earlier.

He had committed to trial with the Bobcats. After 3 years with the Supercats they were happy he was getting another chance at that level.

In the gap between then and the trial he was offered a job in NZ (this was while he was without a job!)

The Supercats season over lapped the NBA trial, NZ did not.

He did manage to lead his NZ team to the title and had better numbers than fellow import Ron Dorsey.

Amazing how the facts can get in the way of your ignorance.

Reply #390873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have a read of the following interview with Ismail from when he stopped over in Geelong on his way to NZ earlier this year - its good to get his point of view and reasoning on things:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-8823-0-0-0&sID=236829&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18527152

alternatively just read these his following answers:

- So what have you been doing since it was announced that you would not be returning to the Supercats?

IM: I had a few more offers once I told Supercats I wasn't going to be able to come back, but I was looking at things short term so I could make it back [to the US] for June/July. I went to Venezuela because they had a good offer and my agent thought it would be a good situation for me. But I went down there, and I think I’m probably spoiled by living in Geelong for the last three years, because you know it was just so different...culturally, and everything was just different. I found myself unhappy there so I was able to get myself out of that contract. Now I’ve committed to go to New Zealand, which I’m looking forward to.

- After you left Venzuela, you had a few other offers from other places in South America - why did you choose New Zealand over say, Argentina?

IM: Mainly because I had just left a situation in Venezuela, South America, where I was a little unhappy. And coming from three years playing in Australia, I thought New Zealand would be somewhere I would be comfortable living. And also enjoy playing basketball. So I went for the place where I can get the best of both worlds, where [the quality of] basketball is good and I’m happy just living.

- There have been a few skeptics who wonder why anyone would "choose" to play in Australia or New Zealand if they have offers from European or South American countries who are known in the basketball world to pay more money. What is your response to this?

IM: Well…the thing about that is…I’ve never….I’m not someone that’s motivated by money. That’s just…I don’t know…I can’t give you an answer why, thats just me, that’s just who I am. And what you gotta understand is when you’re playing professional basketball, you’re only playing for a small amount of time when you play somewhere like Europe, but you’re THERE for the whole entire time. You’re there six, seven, nine months wherever you are. So you need to go somewhere where you’re happy, somewhere you’re comfortable, somewhere you like the place – because if you’re unhappy you’re just not going to play well, that’s just plain and simple. So with me, I’ve always picked places where I was happiest, where I think, “I could live there.” You know? And on top of that, I do a lot outside of basketball. I don’t play basketball to make a “good” living, I play because I love it.

- So after the New Zealand Basketball League season is over, what next?

IM: Still sticking with the same plan. Still focused on getting on a summer league team. Im gonna start right away training, I wont take any time off after the season. I’m actually gonna train here in Geelong for two weeks after it, then I’m gonna head back to Atlanta and continue my training, and just hope that then I’ll get the call…no, not hope, coz this is gonna happen. Everything will work out this time, and I’ll get on a team, and then later I’ll make an NBA roster

Reply #390878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen Ismail play and he is a good player especially at SEABL level.

Not sure if nbl would be a good fit though.

He could be a little undersized as a 3 and doesn't have the outside shooting that a lot of 2s have.

He was allowed to play "his way" a lot at Geelong which involved a lot of usage, 1 on 1 breakdowns and a lot of contested shots.

He had to use so much energy on offense that Geelong would try and hide him on defense so I don't really know how good he is on that end.

If he was on my team I'd prefer him to be the clear best player (SEABL, NZNBL) and he wouldn't be that on an nbl roster.

Reply #390879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defence and Muhammad. Nope.

Reply #390880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he doesn't chase the dolllar because he is a stand up guy who loves the game and the life of a baller ahead of personal glory and fortune.

he didnt go chasing dollars in the nba, he had an opportunity to make an NBA roster. What player would NOT take that opportunity?

What player who wasnt any good wouldnt want to play in the Euroleague???? If he is just a baller after the experience he'd be in Europe before fucking Geelong

Reply #390886 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

OMG, the last post just dropped the IQ of this thread by about -40 points!

Reply #390898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one on one from any position on the court Ismail is apparently greatly UNDER valued as a defender. he is quick, strong and takes being scored on personly. he played in the ACC, with Georgia Tech, on the wing and got an NBA trial without any outside shot, so his defence would have to be respectable at least. he is a slasher, who defends well, in my opinion, and brings others into the game. should any NBL team looking for a player fitting these qualities then Ismail is THE player to sign.

Reply #391285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

defence? no. foul shooting woeful NBA you cant b serious. NbL no

Reply #391318 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754