Nug
Years ago

Will Level 2 coaching help me crack Div 1?

I currently have my level one, and have been coaching div 2 junior district for a couple of years. Would obtaining my level 2 help me crack into div 1? This is my goal hopefully in the not to distant future. Do most div 1 coaches have level 2? Does anyone know when/where & costs etc. the next course may be available and how I could go about registering?
Thanks for by help

Topic #30138 | Report this topic

hardtoget  
Years ago

If it's anything like umpiring then they will make you do the course and then not give you the grading.
I have done game after game with out the eval to upgrade to level2 and then senior ref says nope your only level1, thanx

Reply #390743 | Report this post

Years ago

not all div 1 coaches have level 2.

a lot will depend on the club.

as long as you are a good teacher.

hard enough to keep gradings current.

you would be surprised how undergraded some div 1 coaches are.

Reply #390745 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

At the bigger metro clubs, all div1 coaches are required to have level 2 credentials.

However, as I understand it the grading system is changing from the level 1-2-3 to a more sectional system with the lower level(s) described as 'youth' or 'school', the intermediate levels being 'district' or along those lines, succeeded by 'higher level' or 'state', for example.

Acquiring level 2 may help your chances, but with the new system (implemented in ~1000 years) it may be made redundant. Anyway, your coaching ability and (sadly) being in favor with the right people are the predominant factors in moving up.

Reply #390759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Level 1, 2 etc mean nothing. There are some very good coaches at junior and senior level without it, and there are some really crappy coaches with it.

Working hard at what you do, attending clinics and networking with other coaches will teach you far more than any coaching course.

Reply #390762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

level 1, level 2 who cares ? I have seen dozens of level 2 coaches who are just plain stupid. Just because you pass a simple course doesnt mean your a good coach. Coaching takes years to master and you never stop learning. I know plenty of great coaches who dont have a level at all and they still get the good jobs.
Answer this, has anyone ever FAILED thier level 1 or 2 ???

Reply #390806 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

You can fail level 2
level 2 has changed since i did it back in 2000. Most clubs don't even check anymore if you have a level coaching, they will ask but not follow up because like many they will initerview you and if they like the person they will hire you.

Reply #390808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't agree that L2 means nothing.

After playing mostly Div 1 ball for close to 15 yrs I wanted to get into district coaching more seriously. I didn't think L2 could offer me much but I did L2 just incase.

It's not be all and end all but it's definately worthwhile. My trainers were: Jan Stirling, Scott Butler, Neil Gliddon and Chris Lucas. Not a bad group of coaches to learn from over a 2 day period. Plus there were some other good young (at the time :)) up and coming coaches that did the course with me who I still exchange notes with to this day.

Reply #390816 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You can have all the certificates that you want and still be a crap coach. The best way is to keep wanting to learn and find out what works for you and stick to it, you have to be your biggest critique and always wanting to get better. Just like we demand our players to work hard on their game so do you. Attend clinics, watch tapes and network with people.

Reply #390864 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754