Blue Tongue
Years ago

NBL Game Announcer

Last night, we managed to get 2 tickets at the box office at the Sydney Olympic Park to watch the game between the Kings and the Breakers.

For newbies like me and my son who were the first time to watch NBL, it was an eye-opener for us. However, we were pretty annoyed by the announcer who kept talking (interrupting) during the game. For example, when the Breakers were doing the penalty shot, the announcer would encourage the audience to boo the Kiwis. I thought it was pretty unfair and very distracting to the players. The announcer will also ask the audience to yell out "Let's go Sydney, let's go ..." while the game was on. These are all good but can he do it during timeout or intermission? We already had some pretty loud music throughout the game.

I thought this is more of an American way of creating an exciting atmosphere for the audiences and fans but maybe I belong to the old school.

Does the announcer do that to all NBL games at all venues?

Topic #30169 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunetly, yes.

Reply #391186 | Report this post

Kanda  
Years ago

I hardly find it annoying. He's just trying to get the crowd into the game.

Reply #391195 | Report this post

meegygump  
Years ago

Pretty sure they like the sound of their own voices.. Time to get a new soundtrack too (for the guy that does it in Adelaide!)

Reply #391214 | Report this post

TheRogueSkolar  
Years ago

Uuumm... this is the game!

I thought this is more of an American way of creating an exciting atmosphere for the audiences and fans but maybe I belong to the old school.

Going by this logic, basketball an American invention so it would only be right no? Laughs.

However, we were pretty annoyed by the announcer who kept talking (interrupting) during the game. For example, when the Breakers were doing the penalty shot, the announcer would encourage the audience to boo the Kiwis. I thought it was pretty unfair and very distracting to the players.

This is basketball, not golf or tennis my friend. No shooshing here... MAKE SOME NOISE!!!

That said it's unfortunate that your first live basketball experience was at the Kings. Sydney is way too pop, with d-list (non)celebs filling Kings games instead of grassroots supporters. This is why although I live in Sydney I cannot support this team and happily get the train down to the 'gong for as many of the Hawks games as I can. Now that's an exciting team to watch.

@meegygump

Time to get a new soundtrack too (for the guy that does it in Adelaide!)

Nah, Adelaide is an awesome basketball city for fans. Steve Carfino and Brett Maher commentary is always great out there. It's a good venue, good atmosphere. Always reminds me of harlem globetrotters out there. Maybe some of the soundtrack you speak of.

Reply #391233 | Report this post

smithy  
Years ago

new soundtrack? if adelaide fans bother to rock up to games like my family and i have done for the past 8 years then that place is one of the more intimidating venues in australia when there r 5000+! (We've been lucky enough to be to a few others - perth, cairns, townsville and sydney) i remember the guy who used to do it... and the one they have now craps all over him!! besides that ive had more than a few passionate conversations with him and he's always so excited, positive and passionate about the sixers as a team... keep going champ!!

Reply #391354 | Report this post

meegygump  
Years ago

The venga bus, c'mon c'mon shall I say more. If it where like America i assure you they wouldnt be playing this sort of crap!

Reply #391503 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

nothing shits me more than the countdown prior to 6ers home games. what is this? New Years?

Reply #391530 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

eli1, engaging with kids who are the fans of the future. Think of others perhaps?

Reply #391538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754