Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane boy Brock Motum dominates!

Playing division 1 college and averaging 20 points per game. 6'10 and can hit the three. Any chance of the NBA drafting him?

Topic #30179 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

There is no doubt that Motum is performing well, but he is not getting a lot of support from his teammates.

There is a chance he could be selected in the 2nd round of the draft.

You can follow his progress along with all the other Aussies playing D1 hoops in this thread:

Aussie "NCAA Div 1 College Watch" - 2012/13 Season

This thread is updated almost daily.

Reply #391390 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I am not a racist in any way.

But if Motum was black, he would be a legit NBA prospect. No doubt thats a common perception in the US.

At the end of the day, I have seen him play a few times, and he is ridiculously good. Things I love about his game:

-Mobility: He can sprint out of screens and spot up. He can cut anywhere on the Court. He can get the ball at the mid-post, rip and go

-Body Control: Motum is able to move his body to avoid getting his shot blocked. He can slither in and around defences. Seen him use the euro-step really good.

-Inside and Outside Game: Had two seasons at WSU where he struck from beyond the arc at 40% and 39.7% over the year. His FG % over his last four years have been 59%, 56%, 55% and 50% for each season. He can take big guys inside and score, can operate out of the mid-post or take them right out to the 3-point line

Reply #391425 | Report this post

Where?  
Years ago

Macdub, you are not only out of line, but flat out racist. Pull your head in!

Reply #391434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched some of his highlights tapes after reading this thread. He seems like a solid player. It'd be cool if he got drafted.

Reply #391439 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I am Mulatto so I am in some position to comment.

Its true. Im just the first to admit it.

If your not black, there is a common perception that your not athletic enough for the NBA.

Unfortunately, same thing will happen to Delly even though he is just as fast someone like Jamal Tinsley

Reply #391442 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I first saw Motum play at the Under 19 Four Nations tournament in Melbourne prior to the 2009 Under 19 Worlds. Of the Aussies, it was him, Delly and Broekhoff that stood out, so it has been no surprise to see the success they have had over the past four years at the college level.

As for the NBA, I don't think there is much doubt that Motum could play at that level, but whether he will get drafted, I would say probably not. I think he will most likely go down the same path as his fellow WSU Aussie Alum, Aron Baynes, in that he'll go straight to Europe, continue to rise through the ranks there up to the Euroleague, and start getting serious NBA attention in four years time after a coming out party at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

A 6'10" mobile big who can score with efficiency inside, and step out to hit the three ball at an above average clip. That is a valuable asset for any team, and one Aussie basketball fans should be excited about seeing on a regular basis over the next decade. Especially given the scoring issues that have plagued the Boomers in recent times.

Reply #391463 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nice call Vart. I too think that even if he gets drafted he will end up in Europe to begin with at the very least.

Reply #391496 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Got to agree with all the comments above, Motum is super talented. would be great for him to be first round draft (no doubt he has the talent) but doesn't look likely given the attention he has gotten so far from draft sites.

It probably would be better for his career if not a 1st round pick than to go to Europe with a good team and get serious minutes and continue to develop and eventually go to the NBA, rather than go ride the pine for garbage minutes in the NBA.

Either way would be great to see him play for the boomers in a few years.

Reply #399427 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

You can understand the trepidation of teams drafting white guys who aren't European.

But he's an Aussie so get on him NBA BALLCLUBS!

Reply #399438 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I've always maintained that your better off not to be drafted, than to be drafted in the second round. Especially the international guys. There are many examples, but one that comes to mind straight away is Brad Newley. He would have received a bunch of NBA training camp invites after the 2008 Olympics, but unfortunately he had been selected by Houston in the second round the year before, so they owned his rights. Not sure he will get another chance at the association level. The flip side is Aron Baynes. He would have been on the radar of a couple of NBA clubs coming off his senior year, but ultimately he wasn't drafted, and has been able to control his own destiny via four different clubs in Europe, to the point now where he has been able to sign with the Spurs effectively as a free agent. This is the path I think Motum and Broekhoff will most likely go, and I hope for Delly's sake the same happens for him, though I reckon he might sneak into the late second round. He'd be a perfect fit for the Lakers, and they desperately need some depth at guard.

Reply #399444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brock Motum is a good player but that is a real conceran not being athletic and quick enough. Has nothing to do with being black or not. There are lots of black players in the same vote. Quick twitch muscle is very important to play in the NBA.

Reply #409797 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:55 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754