billo
Years ago

How much is a win worth in dollars?

At the risk of starting another CJ thread I was wondering today how much a win is worth for an NBL club. My understanding is that by letting CJ go when they did the club avoided having to pay out his entire contract and instead only need to pay him one extra month's salary as compensation. He's been here for 2 months so this additional month would make it 3 months total. The season goes for what, about 6 months? So by cutting him when then did they saved half of his $37k salary, let's round it up and call it $20k saved.

Now, as others have pointed out CJ actually would have been pretty handy yesterday after Gibbo and DJ fouled out and we had no one left who looked like they wanted to take a shot. It's conveivable that a player renown as coming up big in the clutch who has a knack of putting the ball in the hoop and who recently dropped 15 in the final quarter against this same WIldcats team could have been enough to get the team over the line.

DO you think the club would have been prepared to eat $20k if it meant they got the win yesterday?

(Yes, I know it's a ridiculous hypothetical scenario and no one has anyway of really knowing if CJ would have made a difference, I'm just curious whether it's possible to quantify a win in dollars.)

Topic #30191 | Report this topic

FYI  
Years ago

20/20 hindsight vision
That 20k goes towards the new import who could fill the dome like Julius Mk1 did very quickly. IF that happens it is a smart business decision.

Reply #391558 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

A win cannot be quantified in money.

There are too many variables.

A win to ADL may be priceless because it would close the gap with SYD (especially given SYD upset NAB) and could mean the difference between playoffs or gone fishin' early.

A win to a team like TSV may be worth a little less as their season is most likely over.

Reply #391562 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

500 extra fans in the stands at $20 is $10k. There are clearly people staying away because they are not fans of the coach. I wonder if many made a decision this weekend who'd been "tipped over the edge" by the CJ move.

(The fans that didn't go missed a great game.)

Would the club, in retrospect, "buy" that win for $20k, maybe. Could be crucial. Then again, under previous ownership, they wouldn't spend $20 to properly run a survey, so who knows...

Reply #391566 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Thinking like an accountant Billo! As Marcus Camby said, if it's the difference between us making the playoffs or not then it may well be worth $20k.

Reply #391576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THEY DONT GET ANY TYPE OF 'WIN' MONEY MORONS.

Reply #391623 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ lmao

Reply #391741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much is a win worth in dollars?

Reply #391819 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The parents of '623 cry themselves to sleep every night.

Reply #391823 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754