mk
Years ago

Brad Robbins retires from the NBL

Brad Robbins set to retire!!!

Topic #30193 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did he try and become a badass with the hair, tattoos and accessories this year?

Reply #391584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats can now keep Duigan he leave straight away.

Reply #391587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He looks like he's lost a step. He's annoying as hell but have to respect a player like him.

Reply #391588 | Report this post

mk  
Years ago

Who can they replace him with?? Is bruswell an aussie yet??? What is his players points if he isnt an import? Who is out there that can fit in and play the way perth play?

Reply #391599 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

I think the cats are just under the points so hopefully they will be able to keep Duigan

Reply #391606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dugan will be 7 or 8 as he is a new import and under 25 years old so they could keep him.

Reply #391607 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Retiring for personal reasons, immediately.

Reply #391611 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Reply #391620 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Didn't realise he was 27.

Assumed he was over 30.

Crazy to think he has played 213 games for Perth.

Imagine if he played another 7 or so years with them..

Reply #391625 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Looks like Clint Dogg found this site....

Nick Marvin needs to see if Massingale can be rerated to an 8 and snap him up. In your face, Marty!!

Reply #391627 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

At least he can go out after a great win.

Reply #391628 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

i remember when he was a good 'fair' player with Dandenong rangers. cant say the same for redhage though, he came fro NW Tasmania Thunder and has always been 'bad ass'.

Good luck to him if he retires

Reply #391629 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Duigan would have to be a 10

Reply #391631 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

A bit like that other knob from Perth (Redhage), have absolutely hated this guy at times, mostly cos for the last 5 years the sixers havent had a guard who could breakdown his defense.

Best of luck to him in all seriousness

Reply #391633 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

Is that why the rest of the team let him run out onto the court by himself when the Birdy dance song came on before the game last Sunday? That was pretty funny stuff from the team.

Reply #391635 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

He is going to become a male model.

Reply #391642 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I think this thread just set the record for highest percentage of misspelled import names.

Reply #391645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U the english teacher? U no what ppl are trying to say! Why be an arse, we all are not perfect! Il go to the spelling-bee if i was gd!

Reply #391646 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Despite his impact in Australia , a Dunigan cain't get in.

Reply #391647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best if luck Brad,

hope the personal reasons are not anything too bad and you and your family get through it all ok.

Reply #391650 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"While Robbins' retirement will give the Wildcats breathing room on their player points list, it will not be enough to find a permanent slot for injury-replacement centre Michael Dunigan.

Dunigan was signed by Perth to replace the injured Matt Knight and was rated a 10-point player."

Reply #391651 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

One (1) playerpoint over . Still , some are big fans of Chuck Harmlessone . I'm a bit of a Dunigan fan.
Each to his own.

Reply #391652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i Suppose Perth could try to get either Dunnigan or Trueman downgraded a point,

or i guess they could swap Trueman out for a player cheaper on the points if they are keen to keep Dunnigan.

There are ways if they want to keep Dunnigan or they could sign a 9 point player, there are quite a few imports rated 9 or less from memory.

Reply #391653 | Report this post

Hawkeye  
Years ago

need to fit knight back in

Reply #391658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're the top team. The NBL should not be looking to make concessions so they can replace a bench guard with a new (decent) import.

Reply #391661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cut Ben Purser who is 1 point

Reply #391663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, so its a choice of keeping Dunnigan and downgrading a bench player for a cheaper points player or replacing Robbins with someone 9 points or less once Knight returns.

Reply #391664 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Is Dunigan really the player they need once Knight is back? Surely they would be looking at another guard to back up Martin/Lisch.

Reply #391672 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Just got an email from the club confirming it. Press release out soon I guess.

Reply #391677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like it's true and the foul reported it earlier

Reply #391678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the league potentially loses out on a seemingly good, entertaining, bums on seats player, because of this stupid points system.

Are we trying to not have this league work?

Imagine if the A-League had a points cap system, no Top line players we are seeing now. And the A-League is kicking our ass at the moment.

Reply #391679 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The league only loses out if no one else signs him. The idea is that the Cats lose him or have to make adjustments to keep him.

The A-League could have a points cap and still fit in marquee players. The NBL could have LeBron, Bogut, etc play for 10 points. The points cap doesn't stop that.

Reply #391681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be a big loss for the Wildcats with Martin looking way less than 100%.

Robbins retirement would explain why the Wildcats started him versus Adelaide.

Love him or hate him, the league needs characters like him to spice things up every now and then.

Who are the now Perth fans going to hate on now?

Reply #391685 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'685 - still Redhage, plus a bit of Wagstaff. Can't dislike Lisch and Martin at all.

Sad to see someone leave in their prime but if you've had enough of the game, there's no point forcing it.

Reply #391689 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

If Perth can't keep Dunnigan, then they should look at getting CJ. Another scorer and someone that can hit the 3 would be perfect for them.

Reply #391695 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

Reality is, Robbins wasn't a great player and the Wildcats can now sign a better guard and become a better team, they have a great chance this year to win another championship.
Robbins averages 5.4pts, 2.3rbs, 2.1ass.

Reply #391696 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Not a great player but he fits their system well, so its not necessarily going to be an automatic upgrade.

Reply #391698 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

The wildcats have plenty of positive experience in picking players/imports, there is no reason they can't find a player to fit their system, and to find a player with better averages than Robbins should not prove difficult at all.

Reply #391700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No date set yet, he could play until they find some 1

Reply #391708 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Finding a player with better averages than Robbo: yeah, shouldn't be a big problem.
Finding a player that is better than Robbo: not such an easy task.

Reply #391710 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the whole idea is that he's retiring immediately. He doesn't want to play any more, not keep playing until it suits the club, AFAIK.

I think he ran out first (and was pranked by his team) in Adelaide for a reason.

Reply #391713 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

So THATS why he retired? Two backfiring pranks in one week!

Reply #391718 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Well thank goodness he chose retirement over suicide

Reply #391720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^^^

LOL

Reply #391721 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"No date set yet, he could play until they find some 1"

Anon, he announced at the press conference that Sunday's 36ers game was his last.

Reply #391724 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Players Assn. have a point trying to get rid of playerpoints - restraint - like CJ Massingale might get the gig , but cain't at 10points.
From memory Chuck doesn't wanna change points midseason. Anyways the rule might be gone next season.
Needed under old NBL not with BA .

Reply #391733 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Whoops I forgot CJ was rated a 10. No chance of CJ there then.

Reply #391734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is that say he has to spk to manegment to finalize date's? It's not about the points to keep or to get someone.

Reply #391735 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

CJ should only be an 8. He was so bad that he was mercilessly sacked by the great Marty Clarke mid-season!

Reply #391743 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So why is he retiring?

Reply #391745 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Although his offence frustrates me, I am sad to see him go (especially @ 27).

When he drives in I cringe because the result is often a shot blocked or a turnover.

When he shoots I look to see where Damien Martin is going to get the rebound.

However it is on Defence (and the hustle) he becomes irreplaceable....the stats will rarely show such qualities.

I am glad in a way as he is still engaged with the club.

Reply #391747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I followed brad all thru his juniors and his nbl he is a real nice guy and I will miss watching him give his all for the game of basketball good luck for the future you will be missed

Reply #391750 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick:

So why is he retiring?
Lost passion for the game.

Reply #391763 | Report this post

Market Rumors  
Years ago

People are saying he had a great career. If Averaging career 4 ppg is great I would love to see what they say to a guy that has a career average of 18 with 4 championships. Sad to see him leave and going to miss his toughness but far from a great NBL career.

Reply #391769 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Stats aren't everything. Robbins brought toughness, leadership, passion - and above all else was a very intelligent player, knows the system and is also a mentor for the younger guys. Which is incredible since he's only 27.

These are qualities that cant be replaced by how many points he averaged.

Really going to miss Brad Robbins. Hope he comes back to the NBL later on if he gets his spark back, and hopefully with the Wildcats.

Reply #391770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he was dirty player, i hope he has a shitty life

Reply #391771 | Report this post

Market Rumors  
Years ago

If throwing a ball in someone's face is leadership then call me Larry! I saw him as a dirty player and played tough but that is about it.

Reply #391772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kind of player that could dish it out but couldn't take it.. When someone would give it back he would arch up at them.

With Redhage at least he doesn't winge and start fights if someone gives it back to him.

Reply #391773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robbins is kind of emblematic of all that is wrong with australian basktball really - he's the kind of big early blooming kid that makes all the junior rep teams - at the expense of a more creative talented kid - then retains precisely the same skill set he had as a 14 year old. He's the sort of kids who might help a junior team to win games as a part of a pressing defense but was NEVER going to be anything other than MEDIOCRE. The sort of junior that appeals to a - well somoene like bevo for instance. (as for the idea that robbo puts bums on seats - well that's more of a reflection of the kind of people who go to wildcats games these days - the kinds of people who love wearing the same colour as everyone else and mindlessly follow instructions from the half-wit courtside announcer - cashed up bogans the lot of them) btw - on the same topic i hear that dockers draftee max duffy - a creative genius by all accounts - was cut from his junior basketball squad.. its a word that gets bandied about a lot these days but truthfully - oz hoops is a BASKETCASE..

Reply #391774 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Obvious troll is obvious.

Reply #391776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robbins looks like he is ready to join the Sons of Anarchy, is that why he is leaving?(just joking)

All the best Brad, hope your personal issues/passion for the game/injuries improve and you can stay involved in the game at some level.

Reply #391789 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The time he threw the ball at Gruber, a tough personal incident had occurred in his life.

I remember when barely anyone thought he'd make the NBL. I think people were in disbelief when Goorjian named him for a Boomers camp. He did pretty well in the NBL considering. Everyone has their role.

Reply #391798 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Starter on the U19 gold medal team in 2003. Was starting and playing ABL at 16. Toughest player I ever played against in juniors. Always knew he would make it.

Reply #391802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ points cannot change mid season, he is a 10 so is in exactly the same position as Duigan.
I am sure this is part of the reason the 36ers let him
go.
Who would you sign for 10 points CJ or Duigan?????

Reply #391808 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

No one would have any violent objections to Perth signing CJ regraded to 9 .
Other than Chuck .
Dunigan is from an NBA team , serious contender for POTW and should be 10 .

Reply #391810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Robbins but Anon 774 has a point about big early blooming kids that make all the junior rep teams because the coaches see the players as a reflection of themselves. This at the expense of tall awkward, late maturing kids who actually have a future in basketball.

Reply #391815 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why would he call it mid-season? Seems strange for a guy who played with so much effort, passion and aggression to not see the season out and maybe even retire with a championship win.

Reply #391822 | Report this post

the chief  
Years ago

Well done Robbo on an NBL career that many thought you would never have.
Is well remembered by the "oldies" at Knox for what your brought to our team in the few years that you played with us.

Reply #391832 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Get rid of Truman free up 2 points gives 10. Sign dunigan and Gavin field. Or sign Daniel Dillon to replace Robbins !!!!

Reply #392526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the gutless fool who wishes brad robbins has a shitty life is probably an adelaide 36er supporter. not gonna win a championship this year or next year.

Reply #392542 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754