billo
Years ago

Lakers possibly looking at Jonny Flynn

ESPN's Marc Stein has tweeted today that the Lakers are looking into opening up a roster spot to ease their PG crisis. Should a spot become available it looks like Delonte West is their first choice but that they would also take a look at Mike James and Jonny Flynn.

Two other available PGs that I have to believe Lakers will look at in addition to exploring trade options: Mike James and Jonny Flynn

Mike James working out in HOU w/John Lucas & in search of new team after playing w/Bulls in 2011-12. Flynn has NBA out in recent Aussie deal

It would be interesting seeing Flynn catapulted straight from the NBL into the middle of a team under the most scrutiny of any team in recent memory, imagine if he tuned their fortunes around after hardly setting the NBL on fire.

Topic #30212 | Report this topic

Hurls  
Years ago

Lol. Well wouldnt that suck for Melbourne?

Reply #391957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn played great against Townsville the other night.

Reply #391961 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

was out played by gary ervin

Reply #391966 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Lakers should sign Cedric Jackson

Reply #391967 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Flynn's stats are quietly becoming pretty decent and consistent. Top five in scoring, dishing a few assists. Not dominating, but hardly embarrassing himself now.

Reply #391968 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

16.2ppg
3.8rpg
6.2apg
41%FG

If he was any other import people would be singing his praises but because he's "NBA draft pick Jonny Flynn" and everyone (most had no idea why he couldn't make a NBA roster this year) expects him to just dominate the league, those numbers are poor to them. He's actually picking up some steam..

In saying that i still think there are a number of PG better than him.
Ced Jackson
Gary Ervin
Adris Deleon (When healthy)

Reply #391969 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

those numbers are only slightly above his NBA rookie season numbers

13.5 ppg
4.4 as
2.4 rb

also at 41%

Reply #391973 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Lakers should sign Cedric Jackson

I totally agree... and not just to see the Breakers falter with his absence :) But is he even actively looking to still make the big show? Normally once an import signs on for multiple seasons with a team that's a sure fire sign that he's given up, and has he even gone over to summer camps? I can't recall...

Reply #391975 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

'It would be interesting seeing Flynn catapulted straight from the NBL into the middle of a team under the most scrutiny of any team in recent memory, imagine if he tuned their fortunes around after hardly setting the NBL on fire.'

Perhaps effort levels due to a rookie coach?

Reply #391977 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

BJF, interesting but three problems.

a) 48 minutes versus 40 minutes (acknowleding Flyn would play more minutes per game here than in NBA I think?)
b) offensively oriented league versus defensively oriented
C) assists are much more generously awarded in the NBA - 6.2 apg here in 40 minute game is pretty impressive

might need to do a per minute comparison.

Reply #391978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, Cedric is by far the better player, but i guess Flynn is more well known the NBA people and possibly pushing himself to them a bit more, which may lead to him getting a NBA shot.

Cedric should be sending the NBA tapes of his tripple double v Flynn to say he is the better player!

But yea no hating on Flynn, Cedric is no.1, then to me Flynn is 2nd/3rd with Gary Ervin, he is definatly not a level above the NBL but a very very good import, it would be great to have all 3 of those guys in the NBL for the next few years.

Reply #391980 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

fair call HO

Reply #391985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His name was merely dropped as a PG who is available, not that the Lakers are looking at him.

Settle down....

Reply #391986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given he's only played a handfull of games I think those stats are pretty good - I think he just needs to be more agressive during games as
he can blow by anyone with ease. I also think the coach needs to play him so he's fresh at the end

Both jackson and ervin have better effort on D

Reply #391988 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I heard on the radio that rumours are floating of a possible NBA deal for Jackson. His contract contains an "NBA Out Clause" and I'm pretty sure he's still only on a 1 year contact with the NZ Breakers so good luck to him if it eventuates.

Reply #391990 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Flynn has played well offensively the past three games but has struggled to make plays down the stretch and has been beaten by his direct opponent. No doubt the Tigers' average structure hasnt helped.

I dont think anyone is saying he isnt playing well, just that he isnt "setting the league on fire" which is probably pretty accurate.

Reply #391992 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

CBS NBA analyst Ken Berger pointed to Jackson as a solution to the problem today, pointing to his triple-double against Melbourne's former NBA point guard two weeks ago.

"If Lakers look overseas, former Cleveland State PG Cedric Jackson has drawn interest from several NBA teams in the Australian League," Berger said.

"Playing for New Zealand, Jackson dominated Jonny Flynn (Melbourne) head-to-head this week with 28 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists."

TVNZ article from today

Reply #391995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good to see Jackson getting some recognition.

Reply #391996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson to the Lakers.50 game win streak!

Reply #392011 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Jackson played with the spurs in summer league. In one game he had 7 steals

Reply #392022 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I think its funny we never consider that the NBL is actually of a decent standard compared to the NBA.
Flynn might not be dominating here because were a defensive league unlike the NBA where its mostly showmanship.

Reply #392027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMAO @ Skud

Reply #392042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA sucks. Anyone saying otherwise has never seen an NBA game. It's by far the most overrated sports league on the entire planet.

Reply #392328 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754