Isaac
Years ago

Hawks vs Wildcats, Dec 14

Robbins has retired while Davidson, Coenraad and Demos are out for the Hawks. The threat of Dunigan will loom over Gruber, Forman and Macmillan.

Last I checked, the bookies had the teams completely level, though I think the Cats have to be favourites. Maybe Deleon is due for a good game?

Your tips?

Topic #30229 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks will have to shoot the lights out and rebound at a level that their size shouldn't let them to win.

Without Davidson dragging DunDun out to the 3pt line I'm guessing Perth can really pressure the Hawks shooters and force them to drive or at least better contest their outside looks.

I also have Perth favourites although the betting markets are usually pretty right.

Reply #392269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks D is pretty woeful right now closing out the second half.

Reply #392278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing you never would/could bet against the Hawks Isaac?

Reply #392279 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I bet against them if I think they're going to lose. (I obviously don't communicate that to any players.)

Rebound count at the half was Wildcats 21, Hawks 7.

Wollongong have no business being in this game the way they were playing, but they're 44-49 down. Wow.

Edit: Up 51-50. Wow^2.

Reply #392280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hurdle stepping up

Reply #392284 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Not to mention big Auryn! I had an idea he'd do that when finally given a shot.

Reply #392286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks are amazing.

Reply #392288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks are everything I wish the 36ers were.... just a brilliant team who play for each other at all costs.

Reply #392289 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Auryn Macmillan! Auryn Macmillan! Auryn Macmillan!

I've been watching him practice since he arrived in Wollongong, he started getting down the other week about no playing time and everyone kept telling him to keep working and be ready. And tonight it paid off! Made a lot of fans in Wollongong tonight!

Reply #392293 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They are certainly punching above their weight.

Reply #392294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Auryn > Davidson

Reply #392296 | Report this post

Pug 56  
Years ago

Big call!

Davidson is widely considered one of the most cerebral x&o's players around. Somewhat a on court coach who anchors the D and pass like a guard.

Having said that, Macmillan was very impressive. really taking the chance he got and delivered nicely.

Reply #392301 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Was gonna go 2 bed at half time & a mate (who was watching live) said stay tuned. Lisch was 1 cm off taking into overtime. Loved it!!

Reply #392302 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great win for the Hawks and it pushes the Breakers back out into first spot.

Reply #392308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robbo was missed last night, tovey didnt play second half? Perth will would be on top if we played all the bottom teams 2! Played hawks 3 times adelaid 3 breakers twice, to be 8-4 with 8 road games im happy with that! Knight gets bak and another ball handler they will be fine come to the end ove the season. Had a 5hr delay flying to syd + 2hr drive to the gong! And they played sunday in adelaide!

Reply #392312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game from macmillan - hopefully he can play as well again against the kings

He was real active on the court and gave redhage some of his own medicine and made some great defensive plays

Reply #392314 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Lmao Anon, who beat you in the finals last season and in the Semi's the season before that.

Reply #392316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out Coached again Bevo!!!

Reply #392317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U have a few injuries then see how good u guyz go!

Reply #392319 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I thought this was a great game and all credit to the Hawks for getting the win.

There was some interesting calls in this game.

Can anyone explain to me what happened with 10 seconds to go in the game when Saville inbounded the ball to Forman who then was double teamed and fouled by Hire whom put his hand up. A time out happened after that play and after the time out it was Hawks side ball even though Perth were over the limit and should have been two foul shots. Was it a case of there was already a time out called but the play went on or was this a mistake by the umpires?

Also Dunigan was called for an offensive foul contesting a rebound where he clearly fouled Macmillan. Forman then went to the free throw line to take the shots as obviously he is the better foul shooter and the umpires weren't sure who was fouled and since Forman seemed confident they let him have the shots. He only made 1 of 2 shots but who is to say Macmillan wouldn't have missed both since he was 2 out of 5 from the game. This could have cost Perth the game and as a result I think if the NBL are going to fined people for flopping then people should be fined for going to the line when they know they weren't the ones fouled....

Wagstaff who has milked calls from umpires during his career seems to now be getting targeted. In Adelaide they called a flopping foul on him when it looked quite clear he took a charge at worst case should have been a no call or blocking foul. Last night, he once again took a charge on Forman but was called for a blocking foul. He also got called a few times which were legitimate fouls but in the past he probably would have gotten away with. Perhaps its Karma coming back at him. I really thing if Wagstaff cleared up some of his game and got more minutes he could be a new Worthington type of player.

Macmillan had a great game but to expect him to do that every game is unrealistic.

Reply #392331 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, the broadcast showed Oscar asking the refs if he was shooting the FTs and they obviously said yes. He was in the rebounding contest (and with his back to the others) so it's plausible he actually didn't know if it should've been someone else. Just as likely that it was the usual ploy by a better FT shooter, but can't see how they could punish that given he asked.

I wondered about that fouling of Oscar on the baseline too. Were they not in the bonus at the time?

Reply #392339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed - the only thing I could think of that a timeout was called as soon as the ball was passed >

Reply #392341 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wow three (3) - pretty to watch , used Hire and Macmillan well.
Don't think we're up to this standard.

Reply #392343 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Alright Isaac, ill give him the benefit of the doubt since his back was turned to the play and Macmillan might have knocked into him, forcing him to think he was the one that was fouled.

They were in the bonus because the play before Oscar was fouled by Redhage and awarded two free throws. Time out must have been called before which would be a bit of a surprise as wouldn't they want to get the ball in as quick as possible. Anyway doesn't matter, it was just a strange thing that happened.

Reply #392344 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looking at the live stats there was no foul called on Wagstaff, suggesting a time-out had been called before the inbounds was made.

Reply #392359 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Paul, it wasn't on Wagstaff it was on either Martin or Hire. The live stats say with 13 seconds left Lisch hits the 3 and then hawks call time out.

It would be interesting to see it in reply on NBL TV

Reply #392362 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Actually it was Lisch or Hire. You can sort of watch it in the NBL TV highlights at 2:49

Reply #392363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754