Isaac
Years ago

Crawford and Cadee added to All-Star Game

Injuries suffered during Round 11 of the iiNet NBL Championship have seen a couple of players receive a late call-up to participate in the 2012 National Basketball League All-Star Game at Adelaide Arena this Saturday (22 December).

Townsville Crocodiles swingman and London Olympian Peter Crawford has been added to the bench of the North All-Stars Team as a replacement for injured Sydney star Ian Crosswhite after the Kings centre was forced to withdraw due to an ankle injury.

Perth's Kevin Lisch has also been forced to withdraw from the game after suffering a Grade 2 groin strain. Lisch will be replaced on the South All-Stars team by local favourite Jason Cadee of the Adelaide 36ers.

As Lisch was voted in as a starter, Melbourne Tigers star and former number six NBA Draft pick Jonny Flynn has been elevated to the starting line-up for the South, while Cadee will come off the bench.

Topic #30273 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

On the NBL website it says 'come to Adelaide to watch the 20 best players in the league' It should say '20 players the league could get there without spending a lot of money' What a Joke

Reply #393106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"On the NBL website it says 'come to Adelaide to watch the 20 best players in the league' It should say '20 players the league could get there without spending a lot of money' What a Joke"

+1!!!!

Reply #393108 | Report this post

Cadee?????????????
WTF!

Reply #393110 | Report this post

Bruton and Corletto ahead of Cadee anyday!

Reply #393111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee? Oh my.

Reply #393112 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yeah great attitude Anon and +1!!!!

That's the attitude, no wonder the ASG struggles.

Are you 2 going to the game to raise attendance, or just coming on here and bitching?

On topic, while probably not the most worthy guard, Cadee will give home town fans another to cheer for, and Crawford prob deserves a run. Should be a good game, hope ticket sales lift in the next few days.

Reply #393113 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Corletto ahead of Cadee? I don't think so!

Reply #393117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

crawford has been terrible this season and cadee hasnt done much better! a joke.. the ASG lost all credibility when Steindl was called up, he is the 7th or 8th man on his owm team!!

Reply #393118 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

Lol Cadee, shows Nbl low standard.

Reply #393119 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have you checked with all the alternatives as to their availability at very short notice? I assume flights would've been booked for Friday. It's quite possible that a number of players had other arrangements or were keen to have time off with families.

In which case is it less ridiculous calling down the list ("You're our 8th back-up. Sooo, wanna play?") or just going to the local guy who doesn't have to worry about flights and will only get spot minutes off the bench anyway.

Reply #393122 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

what a joke, what was the purpose of voting when they just pick who they want, I won't bother watching

Reply #393124 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Can we please cancel the All-Star Game?

The inclusion of Cadee insults the words 'All-Star' and is an afront to all All-Stars before him.

This is like entering a Hyundai Excel in a F1 race.

I'd rather can the whole thing than see this spectable embarass Australian basketball.

Reply #393130 | Report this post

Real Talk  
Years ago

Can we shut down Hoops bcos its turnt in to nothing but pathetic little no hopers who wish they could play NBL and it gives SA basketball fans a joke of a reputation - dont like it don't go wankers!

Reply #393132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I agree its silly that Cadee is playing, who else takes his spot? Has Corletto or Bruton actually had that much better seasons?

Reply #393134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

what a joke, what was the purpose of voting when they just pick who they want, I won't bother watching
Fans voted for starters. Flynn was elevated to replace one injured player, and Johnson for another. They both polled well. Nice sulking.

Real Talk, a lot of the complainers in this case are not from SA.

Reply #393138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i cant wait to see Cadee wearing Lisch's jersey unless he can find the same secret underground tunnel to the And1 factory that Perth did to get Dunigan's jersey so quickly!

Reply #393139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DB5... Re:
Yeah great attitude Anon and +1!!!!
That's the attitude, no wonder the ASG struggles.

The ASG struggles because it's a joke to have such a thing in a provincial 8 team competition. When you start adding players like Crawford or Cadee to the rosters then it's joke that's not even funny. What a farce!

I'm glad they are holding it in hicksville because the rows of empty seats anywhere else would be an embarrassment.

Reply #393140 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

How are ticket sales going??

Reply #393145 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Real Talk....please count the number of Sack Marty threads / posts PER WEEK.

If it is giving 'SA basketball fans a joke of a reputation', may I refer you to SA joke of a basketball fans?

You SA'ers are happy to burn Clarke / Radford with every single loss yet claim others are coming in and giving Hoops / South Australia a bad name?

Hoops / Sack Marty are a constant JOKE on ozhoops.

Reply #393147 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yeah because everyone from SA says that on Hoops Marcus..okay.

I'm glad they are holding it in hicksville because the rows of empty seats anywhere else would be an embarrassment.

Nice one, because which arena would get sold out anon?

I'm glad they are holding it in Hicksville because at least we will turn up to the arena.

How is Trollsville going?

Reply #393153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth - No allstars
Adelaide - 4?

Funny

Reply #393157 | Report this post

Real Talk  
Years ago

Never once have I participated in any sack Marty threats dickhead!

They also give SA fans bad name And maybe I should rephrase it and say fans us has you give Australian fans a bad name!

Reply #393158 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Redhage is still playing.

Reply #393163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STFU Marcus Camby

Reply #393165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do they give SA fans a bad name?

Fans having an opinion on professional coaches is common place whether we are talking about the LA Lakers or some semi pro team in Nigeria.

The 36ers got rid of Claxton after he failed to make the playoffs and we signed Smyth. How did that work out?

Reply #393170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No one available on short notice therefore Cadee is OK"...this is SO wrong. Better leave that spot empty than lowering the standard of the All Star event. And yes , I am not from SA...much needed balance to bring this site back to its senses.

Reply #393171 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bruton, Corletto and Cadee all having similar seasons.

Bruton at 8.2ppg, Corletto at 8.3ppg and Cadee at 7.8ppg. Cadee more assists though.

They may very well have asked Bruton or Corletto (we probably won't know that)

But the Breakers have an intense road trip, so possible declined the offer (especially with Brutons dodgy knees)

Anyway, they are all having similar seasons so if people are saying Bruton or Corletto, then you can't say Cadee isn't worthy.

PC is averaging 10.8ppg.

I think these inclusions simply show the lack of Shooting Guard talent in the NBL; its not so much about the selections..they don't really have anyone else to select.

Reply #393172 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Real Talk...First of all its 'Threads' not 'Threats'.

And I gave up trying to understand your second paragraph, its quite difficult to understand a passage that is sans spelling, grammar and indeed logical thinking.

But your personal attacks are top notch. Go you.!

Reply #393173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is petrol away, not a flight... its sad but true this is why he was selected.

Reply #393175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn being elevated to the starting 5 is a joke!

Should have been Redhage (if they moved Abercrombie to guard) or Gibson if they didn't.

What's the point of voting if they just screw around and do their own thing.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/december/nbl-all-star-starters-announced/

Reply #393176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nice to see the support for a veteran Boomers rep and kid-come-good after a car accident. Heart warming posts.

Reply #393182 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

They should have got Marty to coach both teams and saved on 2 airfares?

Reply #393183 | Report this post

Real Talk  
Years ago

You spelt so well in yours then too mate!

Reply #393185 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Isaac...I don't see how Cadee's car accident needs to come into this conversation.

Or should a prang be a free pass in life?

Reply #393188 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Why the hell is anyone talking about Bruton and Corletto?

Reply #393190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they would be just as lame picks as Cadee is?

Reply #393194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac you are as big a joke as Cadee why don't we make Joyce Sr Coach and make Joyce Jr as the starting guard against Cadee then everyone in the country can join in on the joke oh yer and lets add Delany as the backup. Scrap the whole event if you can't do it right anyone who pays for this crap is crazy

Reply #393199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marcus, just a descriptor. There are ways of offering criticism without the trash that people offer. Likening players to excrement and saying that they're useless, or that the league is a joke, etc. That's my only point there.

Fans are very quick to criticise the league watching their budget, but if that's the only way the league can operate in a tough climate of sponsorship, how about appreciating what we do have.

So many fans asked for an All-Star Game to return, or for it to include dunk/3P. For better or worse, it's here.

Reply #393203 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

Anonymous #393199, you are a joke attacking Isaac. It costs him to host this forum. Faceless Clowns like you distract from any credibility on the forum. Yes I am faceless, to but have some imagination by using a non-deplume instead of "anonymous". Happy Christmas and find something better to do with your time, than giving Isaac a hard time.

Reply #393206 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

DB5, before you criticize, put it into perspective. Its called All-Stars Game amd like the name suggests, it is made up of all stars. Oh well, its always worth going to just to see Reece Mastin perform.

Reply #393218 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, can only choose from available options. Lisch and Crosswhite have made themselves unavailable (in the past, the NBL threatened single game suspensions for being injured and unavailable for ASG). Knight and Davidson are also unavailable.

The MVP chances will all be playing. Realistically, it's a pretty even league meaning that sub-10 PPG scorers are going to have to play.

Besides Jamar Wilson, who are the omissions people have mentioned?

Dunigan - playing one more game, then gone.
Bruton - 8 PPG
Corletto - 8 PPG
Pledger
Wagstaff - under 10 PPG
Vukona - about 7 PPG?
Nevill - has played three games?
Crawford - was mentioned, got called up
Blanchfield
R Martin

There will be some decent players out there - Jackson, Abercrombie, Madgen, Tragardh, Deleon, Redhage, Ervin, Johnson, Gibson, Petrie, Flynn, Scott, Henry, etc. And a few young up and comers like Steindl, Goulding and Cadee. Not quite seeing the doom and gloom others are.

Reply #393224 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Caddee and Crawford may not be "All Star" caliber, but other people on here are right, it's nothing to do with availability, who the hell else do you put in, you could probably laugh at anyone else selected.

Reply #393232 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBA picks from loads of clubs to get two teams. The NBL is picking 20 from a pool of around 80, minus injured players. e.g., over a quarter of the league's non-DP players.

Reply #393238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunigan, Damian Martin, Wagstaff, Rhys Martin, Todd Blanchfield, Jamar Wilson, Alex Pledger, Mika Vukona, Stephen Weigh, Aaron Bruce and Glen Saville should all be in before Steindl or Cadee and possibly Mr inconsistent Goulding.

It is simply very poor choices by the NBL. There are lots of good players yet a whole heap wont be playing when some undeserving guys will be.

As you say Isaac, there are lots of good players playing too, the majority of the teams, and if the game is entertaining who cares? Certainly the dunk comp should be one of the best ever. Watching some of the old dunk comps it's hilarious what we used to get excited about!

Reply #393241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which highlights the stupidity of having an ASG in a league of just 8 teams. They were always going to have to pick some role players to pad out the 2 teams.

Reply #393242 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dunigan has barely been here and is probably leaving after one more game. Martin or Saville when there are already three Hawks and a coach? I doubt they're fussed. Bruce when there were already four Kings before Crosswhite withdrew? Weigh, when there are already three 36ers and who isn't an ASG-type; at least Cadee may set something up. Vukona is having a poor season, but I did vote for him. Steindl can dunk. I'd rather watch him than various others. If you just want to honour the best, wait for the All-NBL teams? ASG should be a showcase. I don't mind some variety.

Reply #393243 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

People will argue for the sake of arguing, I think the NBL had tried to please fans by having this ASG, obviously not everyone will approve of everything, but let's give it a go, see how it works and then offer "suggestions"/criticisms!

Reply #393249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ Hoops SA have a bad name on Ozhoops. Stopped posting on Ozhoops years ago, lots of uninformed people there.

Reply #393253 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

People will argue for the sake of arguing, I think the NBL had tried to please fans by having this ASG, obviously not everyone will approve of everything, but let's give it a go, see how it works and then offer "suggestions"/criticisms!

it's teh internet, criticism comes first!

Reply #393262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a farce but at least it gives Adelaide fans to see their team win for a change.

Reply #393263 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Blows my mind how people are turning a positive addition to the league, into a negative. Its a show case, one extra meaningless game on the calender, thats there purely to cleebrate the game and create some interest. Dont be comparing it to the NBA All-Star game where every selection is so heavily analysed.

Embrace it, laugh at the odd random selection, but be light hearted with it. Still remember the game back in the day at the Powerhouse where Rob Rose went nuts to collect the MVP but was furious because his team had lost.

Reply #393282 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think the negativity stems from some of the original decisions like putting Steindl in a team, or to take three Tigers, or to only allow teams to nominate one player for the dunk and 3 pt contests. Now that some things have happened which cant be helped, it makes the whole thing look a bit farcical.

In isolation, I can see the merit in promoting Cadee to the team on short notice.

Reply #393293 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Isaac, at least Vukona has won a player of the week award this season which is pretty tough when Jackson wins it every other week.

Reply #393312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could some please get mystro foff the breakers nuts for 5 seconds! Vukona is having a poor season, you dont give someone the nod for previous seasons work.

Reply #393318 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

EC where did I criticize?

Nino, I loved that game, had seats right behind the basket, was a buzzer beater from memory? Have it on VHS (lol) might have to drag it out and have a look.

Reply #393320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait until Mystro starts the 'BJ Anthony shut down Nathan Jawai in that Oceania series when in reality he did no such thing' stuff again.

Reply #393332 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I was talking in regards to Isaac's list of sub 10 point per game options which Vukona is on anon fucktard. Who else on that list has had a POTW award that polled as high as he did in the fan voting?

Reply #393333 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wait until Mystro starts the 'BJ Anthony shut down Nathan Jawai in that Oceania series when in reality he did no such thing' stuff again.

lol. what was the series result and how were Nate's dominating numbers against an NBL development player again?

Reply #393337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No no sweet cheeks. You used to bang on about BJ Anthony outplaying/shutting down Jawai in that series, he averaged 17 & 10 or something and your boy did SFA.

There's a reason Jawai has played 2 seasons in the NBA and currently plays for the best club in the world outside the NBA and your boy can't even get a spot on an NBL roster.

Reply #393343 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

my boy? cool story bro

Reply #393347 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

New Zealand won that series right??

Reply #393363 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, and that best team outside the NBA are 7-6 in the Spanish league!

Reply #393364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe before shooting off at the mouth you actually think about the dribble your about to spew!!!

Reply #393377 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm actually really surprised no one picked up "my boy" this season on the cheap. With Boucher retiring next season I wonder if we may see him back at the Breakers next season (or possibly maybe even Rob Loe).

Reply #393385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ winning that series is irrelevant to the point I made as is Barcelona currently being 7-6, still the biggest and best club outside the NBA.

FC Barcelona Bàsquet, known as FC Barcelona Regal for sponsorship reasons, is a Spanish professional basketball club. It is part of the FC Barcelona sports club and was founded on August 24, 1926 which makes it the oldest club in Liga ACB. The club competes in the Asociación de Clubes de Baloncesto (ACB) and the Euroleague. It has won seven of the last thirteen ACB championships and in 2003 completed a Liga ACB, Cup and Euroleague treble. FC Barcelona Bàsquet has played in seven Euroleague finals, with the last being their 2010 win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Barcelona_B%C3%A0squet

Reply #393395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They may have been a great club in the past but they are struggling shit up a hill this year hence the 7-6 record in the Spanish League.

You comments would be like "Carlton/Essendon are the Best AFL clubs in Australia..." based on them having won the most AFL premierships......Meant shit in 2012 and means shit now.

Reply #393398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Means everything buddy. If you had any idea about international basketball you would've already known Barcelona are considered the best & biggest club around the world outside the NBA. You just jumped in trying to riff off of 'paul's' cheap debating point.

Reply #393411 | Report this post

Tairy Hesticles  
Years ago

Perhaps, Jonny Flynn will play much better under a different coach.

Reply #393420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are only as good say our current record. Pretty comfortable with my international knowledge mate. Stick to Wikipedia or x-box mate and leave the debating to the adults

Reply #393425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No you're not. Next time someone mentions a club overseas you would do well to look them up on Wikipedia first if you've never heard of them.

Bloody school holidays.

Reply #393436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's funny rookie...go quote wiki again it was cute your mum let you use the computer during the day!

Reply #393448 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Did Wiki mention Barcelona has only won two Euroleague titles?

Reply #393461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please Paul, it's past his bed time! You will get him in trouble

Reply #393469 | Report this post

Mr Paparazzi  
Years ago

ALot of wanks on here, typical trash talkers who dont support the game.

I for one can't wait to see the ASG it's in our home town and first time being held since what 1997?
People should enjoy it for what it is.

Reply #393485 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

wiki warrior 0 adults 1

Reply #393493 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754