Anonymous
Years ago

Guy Molloy quits Ballarat.. Sixers next?

Gone from Ballarat! Sixers on his radar next if Clarke loses?

Topic #30281 | Report this topic

kobe24  
Years ago

If he comes to the 6ers, it will be a Christmas miracle!!! he would be very decent with this squad and a very quick fix.

Reply #393316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Ingham us also circling the carcass

Reply #393319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was very impressed with what Guy Molloy did in his short stint fixing the Dragons after Shane Heal did his best to mess them up. A very good coach.

Reply #393323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope he comes to the 36ers, would be the best news of the season!

Even if it means we dont get the import.

he was my first choice out of allavailable/experienced NBL coaches,

loved what he achieved with Cairns building them from basically scratch

also been coaching Aus/Vic juniors so hopefully has a good relationship with or young guys like Creek.

Reply #393324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Guy Molloy cheerleaders need to temper their enthusiasm ... Take it from someone who saw Guy Molloy first hand during his time in Cairns - his personality just wasn't suited to being a head coach and severely wore down the Taipans squad season after season.

The guy knew his 'Xs and Os' but as a man manager he was completely out of his depth. Unless he's gone away and rectified that during his NBL sabatical, he's not ready to return to this level.

Reply #393328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still sounds a lot better than the crap we are dealing with at the moment... How Clarke and Radford could consider themselves elite coaches is a disgrace. Must be awkward everytime they walk in that stadium knowing they are on borrowed time.

Reply #393335 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Molloy has improved a number of areas since his last NBL stint.

Hence the move the SEABL to improve his man management and learn more on how to coach men.

Really liked what i have seen of him last season at Ballarat as his invovlement in the AUS juniors shouldn't be facted in as dealing with Seniors compared to Boys is a major change of mindset...perfect example is Clarke!

Reply #393336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats what assistants are for though aswell, if Molloy isnt a peoples person, hire a guy like Maher or even Smyth or Ninnis as his assistant, as they all appear to work very well and communcate well with people, this will balance out this weakness if exists.

Anychange to the coaches will be well received by the fan base,

Molloy is proven and my first preference, as he is younger than most of the other 'ex nbl coaches' out there, he also is still coaching at SEABL level which is the next best thing, guys like Joyce, Smyth, Wright are not coaching at this level so may not have kept up with the latest players and coaching trends, even though they are still involved in coaching/basketball, but are all a level down on SEABL let alone NBL. You just need to get the right assistant to balance out his weaknesses and he will do fine.

Thats half the problem with the current coaches, neither Clarke or Radford are 'peoples' persons, so they dont cover each others weaknesses.

Anyway is Molloy leaving Ballarat for real?

i couldnt find an article on a quick google search, is it not confirmed as it is i am leaving Ballarat to coach the sixers and both parties will announce it at the same time type of deal?

Hopefully it comes true, a coaching change will be great, i personally want Molloy or one of the SA guys in Smyth, Ninnis or Maher, i know Smyth and Ninnis have been sacked before but both would be an upgrade and a refreshing change from Clarke. Ideally you get a group involving 2 out of the 4 guys mentioned above. Ie Maher with one of the others.

Reply #393346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

now an article on SEABL website, moving back to Melbourne to be with family, so doesnt look likely for the sixers, ah well.

This would be the ideal time to change coaches though, no game this weekend, import still not signed so new coach could pick them and have a few trainings before the next game.

Come on sixers make the move, bring in a new coach and finish the calendar year well and start the new year with some fresh hope and a rejuvinated club/fan base!

Reply #393349 | Report this post

ariel61  
Years ago

Please let something come of this. A significant upgrade on the rubbish we have now.

Reply #393350 | Report this post

ariel61  
Years ago

Moving back to melbourne does not sound like a plausible reason to me. He's only in Ballarat, not Siberia! Could there be more to this than meets the eye?

Reply #393351 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Molloy out of Ballarat.

Did a great job there getting that club up off the canvas. Surely he will be a target of any NBL club looking at a coaching change?

http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=6422&cHash=5891f993e3

Reply #393352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard that Darryl gave Xmas cards to everyone in the organisation except for Marty and Radford.

Now Molloy quits....hmmm.....

Reply #393359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, i was wondering that also, is it im coaching the 36ers, but cant use that reason publicly yet until the 36ers announce the coaching change?

Reply #393360 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Molloy maintains that he will not pursue a coaching position with any Miners opponent. "I will further my coaching career in Melbourne but I will not be coaching a rival Club."
No one's mentioned the flipside - the Miners are in need of a coach. We could suggest someone.

Reply #393371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy won't work for Adelaide's team, he runs a very controlled half court style, Adelaide play better with freedom.

Reply #393379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good point Isaac, a coaching trade?

Reply #393381 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Come on guys...get behind your Head Coach.

Reply #393384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...in case he needs a shove to get him out the door.

Reply #393389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ We're right behind our coach, as we push him right out the front door!

Reply #393392 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

OK...let me rephrase it.

Come on guys....Support your Head Coach.

Reply #393397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think jOyce will take on the miners gig (seabl and high performance manager)

He's currently Vic country nitp head coach, so not a big move. His son has ties their could be a good fit albeit a reunion of the two.

Molly must have something locked in whether it's coaching a school program or nbl a.c. I can't see this guy walking out with nothing to go to....

Interesting I don't think the Sixers need molloy, though do need a change...

Reply #393406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Piss off camby, this isn't church basketball where everyone gets a fair go. Put up or shut up at this level!

Reply #393424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with above Anon.

Sick of your blind support Camby. Shut up and get back on court for the Knicks.

Reply #393437 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Molloy did good job last season but team has fallen
apart. Maybe good reason to move on. Very late notice for club

Reply #393455 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

My support for Marty is hardly blind ffs.

Each time I highlight where the PLAYERS have contributed to the folly, yet so few want to accept that and just join the 'Sack Marty' masses.

Please also keep in mind that Marty's record is greatly improved from the last 2 years.

Reply #393459 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Please also keep in mind that Marty's record is greatly improved from the last 2 years."

He is 1 win better then his first year record (going by percentage).

He is 1.5 wins better then his second year record.

He now has Schenscher, Gibson, Cadee and Petrie.

Also lets be honest the chances of beating NZ is very slim so that would mean his record will be equal to his first year and 0.5 of a win better then last year.

That doesn't sound like "greatly improved" to me.

Reply #393464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

***Cough*** second Melb NBL Team ***cough***

Reply #393466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every thread becomes a sack Marty thread lol

Reply #393472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why cant people just think that the reasons that Molloy is leaving Ballarat are genuine? The Sixers fans want and need a change and hang onto any glimmer of hope they can find. Clarke was never the right fit.
Lets hope once his 3 year contract expires the SoS people might get the incumbent right.Assuming the Sixers have a venue to play from.

Reply #393479 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clarke was potentially a good fit. Didn't work out. Contract was too long or didn't have breakpoints for lack of results and he's still there. That's the problem.

Reply #393486 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Molly wouldnt resign unless he had another gig to go to.It wont be a head coaching role but a director of coaching, association CEO something like that.Might of picked up a private school gig.

Reply #393507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that the Boomers coaching position is not far from being filled.
That is a full time role that requires shifting to our nations Capitol.
Three candidates are being considered, the top two picks may not be interested in leaving their current roles.
Interesting times at the moment regarding our Top tier Australian Coaches.

Reply #393510 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Anon #510 is on the money...

Reply #393517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy no longer the U/17 Men Aus Coach, with Watkins now feeling this role.

Possibly Molloy for Boomers Coach, surely not!?

Reply #393523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watkins is feeling Under 17s? What you trying to say Anon?

Reply #393528 | Report this post

Bill R  
Years ago

I wouldn't have thought that Guy Molloy wouldn't have been ever considered for a role in the NBL let alone another SEABL club again. He coached Miners for 3 years without making the finals once. He proved he can't communicate going through over 24 different players including 8 imports in 3 years??? He is a replica of Marty Clark ie a boring coach, poor communicator with a boring game style!!!!!! At best he is a jnr fundamentals coach or women's coach

Reply #393575 | Report this post

Bill R  
Years ago

If Adelaide are serious they need to look at a proven championship coach like a Brendan Joyce or entice Lemonis from NZ !!

Reply #393576 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Isn't this about Molloy?

From all reports he has turned around the Miners program from top to bottom in 3 years, the SEABL men finished with the same record as winners Albury even though they had a shocking run with imports. In that time he has also coached two Australian U17 teams at World Championships finishing 6th and 2nd.

Would be interesting to hear from Ballarat people and players he has coached over last 3 years.

jOyce, bruce, white, scoines, coenraad all seemed to go pretty well at Ballarat.

Reply #393582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watkins is filling the u17 position*

Damn auto correct...

In all seriousness Molloy is a good coach. Very detailed and committed, but as stated above lacks communication skills at times and can be a control freak... surely not the boomers next coach. Though if the jobs full time and the pays not huge, the likes of bevo and andej may not want the gig.

Who else is available and actually qualified enough to take the role on fulltime?
Thoughts?

Reply #393648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would reckon these "lack communication skills" threads would go back many years when Molloy was a very young NBL coach. I would say he is now an excellent communicator and it's one of the reasons he's one of our few world class coaches. And yes he is a controlling half court coach but my god his teams run the shuffle better than anyone.

Reply #393662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good points regarding his communication and development overtime.

Assuming his communication and ability to manage the team and adult players is of a good enough level.. structure wise I.e. half court offence.mm internationally would want to go back to the shuffle offence?

It could provide us with a strategic point of difference to the rest of the world, but would it be successful?

Reply #393683 | Report this post

Bill R  
Years ago

Checked molloys record at ballarat and it was hardly successful he was under 50/50 in his 3 years and one of ballarats most unsuccessful coaches in history. I definately woldnt call this turning the club around!! Looking at his teams in the last 2 years they where filled with talent and definitely underperformed - he is only an nbl assistant, jnr coach or women's

Reply #393695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Y do u say a women's coach?

Reply #393697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having been a part of the Ballarat program for the past two years I have nothing but praise for Guy Molloy. No he's not a vocal person but he says what needs to be said and gets on with the job. My son who plays juniors was going to quite, Guy rang him up and spent an hour with him. He didn't need to do that, but he did, along with many other things. No he wasn't everyone's best friend, but he wasn't there for that, he was there to improve a program, and he did do that.

Reply #393726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's won a silver medal at a world championship and he's turned around a semi-pro club in a semi-pro league.

Everyone needs to shut up. Man is a genius and a hard worker.

Reply #393727 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

He is dedicated and is a hard worker - I wish him well. Perhaps never as good a caoch as he wanted to be, but definetly better than whow any of his critics rated him. He had a difficult start in the ACT - but at least he had the sense to move out of there afterwards and move to less $%^$#% associations -

Reply #393731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BillR don't let a little truth stand in the way of your axe-grind! How about before Molloy went to Ballarat they were about a 30% team. He took an out of favour bunch of young guys like Bruce, White, Joyce and others and made them better players. Their record this year was 16-12 playing much of the year without any US player contribution. I'd call that turning a club around. Word is their playing budget is one of the lowest in SEABL. Pretty good effort considering that also.

Reply #393732 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:59 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754