Under 20's state teams... thoughts?

This topic was going to be made eventually, however now that the teams have been made official, what are peoples thoughts? Do these teams stand any sort of chance against the size of the vic and Nsw teams?

Topic #30282 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

questions need to be asked why kids arent trying out at this age group

Reply #393334 | Report this post

Trees will trees  
Years ago

Cos their all in college.

Reply #393338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or playing SEABL/State league. U20's is fast becoming an irrelevant championship. U18's is the marque year.

Reply #393340 | Report this post

Just thinking that if you had the likes of Joel spear this year and Carlin in last years teams we would do so much better. SA teams get hurt by kids going to college a lot more than the vics or Nsw would.

Reply #393342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post the teams please

Reply #393348 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

New Zealand is putting in a pretty strong team this year, with alot of the top guys playing (as opposed to previous years). It most likely comes down to having Pero Cameron as coach

Nico Buckrell (Hutt Valley)
Kyaz Karaitiana (Australia)
Matthew Lacey (Waitakere West Auckland),
Jack Salt (North Harbour)
Tohiraukur Smith-Milner (Waitakere West Auckland) Jackson Stubbins (Hutt Valley)
Alexander Talma (North Harbour)
Reuben Te Rangi (North Harbour)
Tai Webster (North Harbour)
Josh Howe (North Harbour)

Reply #393353 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

20's will be gone after 2014 at latest. 14's will replace it as Nationals.

Tassie will be TOUGH.

Men struggled to get a coach.

Women haven't got enough players.

Struggling to get volunteers to staff it.

And the ice rink, I mean courts, might hold up.

Reply #393354 | Report this post

rhea22  
Years ago

Agree with above. None of the top coaches are keen on u20s anymore, and lots of players are unavailable or not interested.

Mickey Mouse tournament.

Reply #393355 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Another waste of BSA money

Reply #393402 | Report this post

The teams are here, twould be good if people weren't lazy and found this stuff themselves...

www.basketballsa.com.au/index.php?id=62&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=758&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=0f29b70012

Reply #393410 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

The girls team Is a joke. Last names do you get you far. The boys team is actual pretty good and could see another medal this year

Reply #393427 | Report this post

Serious  
Years ago

#notsureifsrs SA won't even get close to a medal

Reply #393431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles13^^^ It's so easy to sit back from a far & have pot shots about the girls selections! The are a variety of reasons of why our best team isn't available but don't tear down the opportunity that is has created for others to be a part of a National Championships! You're only appearing to post when you have a gripe about something Ingles13. Get a life & grow up!

Reply #393434 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Only post when I have a gripe? Ironic seeing as I praised the boys team and think they can challenge for another medal. Not sure if trolling by a faceless anon or not......

Reply #393438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where can I find the other state teams?

Reply #393460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you basically only had to turn up to trials to make the girls team

Reply #393471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who should be in the girls team if it's a joke?

Reply #393478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is no one to make a worthwhile contribution from 16 to 20's in the girls because most are dropping out and those left are second string players

Reply #393483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are some at college

Reply #393488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball for girls is a hobby they grow out of for numerous reasons and is an attraction for boys who can't cut afl and other sports that offer more. Fantastic game to play but won't ever get the a grade talent.

Reply #393520 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Yes that's why AFL clubs have resorted to cherry picking the elite basketball development programs!

Reply #393521 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

U/20 girls notplaying
Talbot-wnbl
Shaw-Not try out

Reply #393541 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Also, April Brown, not playing, Ashleigh Bow, college, Alex Ciabbatoni, college, Ashleeigh Greaves, college,

Reply #393542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with ingles13 the boys will be ok

Reply #393635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vics to absolutely walk straight through to the gold in the men's. talent level reminds me of the big time talent the 2011 Vic team (Creek, Drmic, Hadziomerovic, Odigie). With the likes of Exum, Pineau, Jackson, Fisher, that team should smash everyone.

Reply #393698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anybody know the mens teams 4 nsw , tas.have got the rest cant find these 2

Reply #397336 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

Vic 20W to be announced to the girls on tuesday next week. You'd expect the official announcement by the end of next week

Reply #397363 | Report this post

knucklehead  
Years ago

NSW Men
Mirko Djeric
Nicholas Duncan
Darcy Harding
Christian Jurlina
Fabijan Krslovic
Jack Lopez
Gerard Martin
Emmett Naar
Michael Rowley
Dougal Weir

Has been posted on NSW basketball web site since early December

Reply #397776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks knucklehead 4 the team but still cant see it on the website

Reply #397805 | Report this post

knucklehead  
Years ago

You will find it under

Coaching / trials camps

Reply #397844 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Tassie are in shambles for a home state event.

Men have no bigs, no fitness.

Women can't get enough age players. Looking at U18 discards to fill the team. One training had 2 players!

Reply #397860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ya hear a lot of good things down in Tassie Basketball. COuld learn a thing or two here in Adelaide me thinks.

Reply #397864 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

"Tassie are in shambles for a home state event.

Men have no bigs, no fitness.

Women can't get enough age players. Looking at U18 discards to fill the team. One training had 2 players!"

-------------SMA-------------

Tas poster if I'm not mistaken.So big of you to bag out your home state. Yeah, they may be struggling but how does posting crap like this help the sport in Tamania. Negativity A+. One training had 2 players, whether true or false is a dreadful statement to put up on an internet forum. Go home and bitch to your spouse/family/friends about it, talk to B Tas or your local association but leave it off Hoops. Geeeeeeeeeez.

Reply #399340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why T? You just gave it currency.

Reply #399348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

were are the tassie teams ?

Reply #399649 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

T. Bitching and negative? Not to your taste but they are accurate assessment, and on topic ('...thoughts'?)

Should I lie, "Teams look solid. Also this top bloke Lance Armstrong is a great bike rider?"

Hoops thrives on debate. Even those who unload on people without adding anything to the topic.

But I'm sure "Tamania" will appreciate your support.

Including the possible interstate players who may fill out the spots the locals don't want...whoops another negative?

Reply #399668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why no NT ?

Reply #400226 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

SMA.

I said zilch about lying, just leave it off.

Mr. Armstrong is a cheat of the highest order. Any inclusion of his name in an u20 basketball discussion is totally unwarranted.

Fail to see how your rant provides one ounce of encouragement to the kids in those teams that are having a crack. That age group in Tasmania often make the decision to move interstate for study or employment and you know it. Or guys like young Benny Richmond grab hold of an AFL opportunity when it comes along. He aint the only one in Tas to choose aussie rules. That happens at every level of basketball where u17 / u19 guys are faced with playing both sports on the one day.

But hey, keep sinking the boots in if that's what your about.

One more thing. Didn't mean to offend by "unloading" on you. lol !!!!!

Reply #402009 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

You didn't say I was lying but you had doubts ("true or false") and it obviously not palatable to your tastes - again refer to the topic heading...THOUGHTS...not blowing sugar kisses!

If I was calling out individuals by name fair cop BUT there are plenty of kids in both age groups whose have the ability but not the commitment! If one reads this and gives them pause for self reflection great but I doubt their on here.

I am 100% behind players who have a crack. I am not going to give a pass to those that get State berths by default.

Ben Richmond is aged out of 20's and embodies what hard work and dedication can get you. His efforts in the face of barely saw State action due to a variety of reasons...which could be a great topic!!!

Ben could have toiled for years to get a NBL break but rightly chose a career pathway in AFL. He will be a success anywhere but is a big loss to the sport!

Which comes back to the point that if there were more that followed his lead Tasmania would be much better off.

Lastly I'm not offended, but passionate, and enjoy the banter :)

Reply #402036 | Report this post

kunckle  
Years ago

Only a couple of days before the tournament starts.

How have any of the teams been going in their preparation / practice games. Any news

I have heard that Nic Duncan is out of the NSW 20 Men.
How does anyone think that will hurt them.

Reply #404306 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Good Luck to the SA Teams.

Reply #404323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Mirko Djeric out due to Hawks commitments?

Reply #404324 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

good luck to tassie u/20 girls all the best.

Reply #404351 | Report this post

CP3  
Years ago

^^Ingles13^^- The SA Women's Team in Gold Medal game Vs Vics tomorrow. Not bad for a joke of a team???

Reply #406023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No response Ingles13 - it must be taking a long time to take your foot out of your mouth! Go SA U-20 Women in the GF today Vs Victoria @ 5pm (local time). Get around them!

Reply #406175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be ordinary competition on the girls side, SA girls are a one Woman Team!

Reply #406181 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

^^Incorrect^^. I think you'll find there were other worthy contributions made throughout the week by all team members to get to the Gold Medal Game. Wilson did have an outstanding Tournament winning the Bob Staunton Medal (MVP for the National Tournament)!

Reply #406273 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

NSW had a shocker in the women's semi, way more shots than SA but only 28% from the field - basically shot themselves out of the gold medal game.

Good on SA for hanging in there to make the final, competitive for a half but Vics took control in the second half to grab the title.

Vics men also started very slowly in the first half, NSW well in control ... but Vics stormed home in the second half to grab a narrow win.

Must have been a cracking game that we did not see due to lack of live streaming. Another big double for the Vics.

And tournament people - it is really to much to ask that the gold medal game results be uploaded ... well over 12 hours since end of tournament and all results still not posted.

Reply #406276 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Apparently they played all the U20 competition games on outdoor bitumen courts with flood lights in the sun & rain!

This is the 21st Century BA not the dark ages - get all the Nationals available via Live Streaming!

It's not that difficult!

If NBL & SEABL & BIG V & VJBL can do Live Streaming then why can't BA make all the Junior Nationals accessible to basketball fans throughout the Country & the World.

Reply #406292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Sam Johns not training with the 36ers?

Reply #406294 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

^^Apparently the piece of string between the two Coke cans across Bass Strait was out of order this week - hence no live streaming.

Reply #406296 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

heard the rumor that sam johns has made the move to sturt? true or false

Reply #406305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

False

Reply #406307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrific effort by the SA Women Team that is coming home with a well deserved silver medal! Much has been discussed about this team & who was missing from it. To the 10 girls that represented SA at this National Championship it was a fantastic result & you all represented SA with great distinction. Special mention to the coaching panel BJ & Big Baz!

Reply #406350 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754