Stephen Weigh Included To All-Star Game

Adelaide 36ers forward Anthony Petrie has been forced to withdraw from the 2012 National Basketball League All-Star Game at Adelaide Arena tomorrow (Saturday 22 December) due to injury but Sixers fans still have plenty of reason to attend the game as he has been replaced by teammate Stephen Weigh.

Petrie has been advised against playing by team medical staff due to an ongoing back problem, creating the opportunity for Weigh to step in as a reserve for the South All-Stars Team.

They are dropping like flies

Topic #30288 | Report this topic

This is no longer an all-star game. What's next, the NBL saying "Oh yeah Cedric, Adris, Madgen and Abercrombie are out"!? It's just becoming rediculous

Reply #393527 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

The last home game Petrie could not sit down on the bench and just stood at the tunnels entrance.

Reckon they have known this was likely for a while.

Reply #393529 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Good to see Weigh earn a spot after recovering from a car crash of a season.

Reply #393530 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

this is getting ridiculous lmao

Reply #393532 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I assumed some players would become unavailable or injured, but this is getting ridiculous.

Reply #393533 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Steven Weigh>Mika Vukona

Reply #393536 | Report this post

Tairy Hesticles  
Years ago

A Brick >= Stephen Weigh

Reply #393538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have been better if some of these withdrawals e.g. Lisch, Petrie, Crosswhite had let the NBL know sooner to allow replacements to be selected properly rather than a haphazard who is available on short notice.

Reply #393543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stevie is such a poor baskteball player in ratio to how much court time he gets. The elite defense everyone goes on about isnt that much chop. Doesnt get steals, moderate rebounder, not a shut down defender.... but so great to see another moderate type make the All Star game...

Reply #393544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This games gonna be shit. I'd rather have Lucas walker in the all star game. At least than you'll see a few dunks. All Stevie does is brick it up.

Reply #393547 | Report this post

Tai Webster>Stephen Weigh

Reply #393548 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I wanna see Zac Delany be an All-star.

Reply #393552 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Although I don't think he is an all star I still don't get the hate for Weigh. He gets a stack of court time but it's not like he is killing the team or anything? I'd call him a solid but unspectacular starter with potential to be more.

Reply #393554 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

This an "all-stars" game? More like a "replacements of the all-stars" game! It's beyond a farce. Alway knew it was never going to work when they decided to have it on the Saturday afternoon before Christmas. But now it's just turned into an absolute joke.

Note to NBL: next time you try to implement something like this, think of all the logistics etc before you go ahead and do it for the sake of it. If you are going to do it, do it RIGHT!

Reply #393556 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Weigh is a good player with a good future.

I had hoped this year would be his break out year and it looked good at one stage.

I don't think he is an All-Star but better than Cadee, Goulding.

Reply #393557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Weigh can make it then why not select Wagstaff or Tovey then at least Perth get some recognition and more representation as the lone Redhage doesn't really reward the strongest franchise in competition's history.
Care what it costs to fly a player there, they knew it would cost $ to get players there when they organized the event and would have drawn up an appropriate budget to match said costs. It's just making the whole event a joke.

Adelaide aren't even in the top 4, nor have they sold out the event and the South team has quickly become the Sixers squad + Flynn, Jackson, Scott and Abercrombie and Redhage. Adelaide get to see Weigh play massive minutes all the time lol, let them see someone else lmao.

I understand there aren't many players to pick from but at least attempt to share the love around the league and keep the quality up, Cadee I can swallow (no homo) but Weigh is just taking the piss. Rueben Te Rangi would bring waaaaay more entertainment value than Stevie "Lovechild" Weigh.

End Rant.

Reply #393558 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

the anon rant was me sorry.

Reply #393559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good future my ass, he has peaked...

Reply #393561 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

WIth only 8 teams the depth of players isn't great to start with!

I am assuming that they brought Weigh due to the fact the game is in Adelaide?

Reply #393563 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

so if next year they have it in Wollongong and anyone gets injured Zac Delany is a legit pick because he's down the road as opposed to flying in say Mitch Creek? Hell bring in Brad Robbins for a final hurrah (even tho he's a giant douche and I'd rather watch concrete set and + I'm just drinking from the haterade).

Reply #393564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did the above just mention cam tovey?? ahaha the bloke averages a point a game!! he is a putrid basketballer

Reply #393565 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Lucky the game isn't in Brisbane then or we'd be bringing in...

Ahh thats right, can't bring anyone in from there til 2015...

Reply #393566 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Just saw a channel 10 All Star Game advert on ONEHD, it was great except for the voice over guy clearly saying "NBA All Star Game"

Reply #393567 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

"if Weigh can make it then why not select Wagstaff or Tovey"

Do I get a "funny" icon for quoting that? ^

Reply #393568 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I would happily have Steve back at the Wildcats if you guys don't want him anymore.

Same with Radford.

Reply #393569 | Report this post

mk  
Years ago

HaHa tovey? His in the starting 5 for the best ever club that has played in this comp!!!! Robbo has got more heart and balls Than half of any player out there!! Perth always is and always will be the best team!!! So get over it!!!!! Perths starting 5 bar tovey should be in the team!!! Damo??????

Reply #393571 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

sorry next time I post I'll use "sarcasm" markers ;)

Reply #393573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously to many people just get on here and hate for the sake of hating.

Reply #393574 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Oh you mean like the Marty hate? Radford hate? DJ shorts adjustment hate?

Reply #393578 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Marty doin a bitta coaching , seeing he's here and gets on good with stevie.....
If I may be excused don't think I'll go out there now.

Reply #393579 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sanderson and Cornes in the other game would be pretty good . Green , I think shot 72points one NBL game. Aw well I'll see that on TV news .
Kristina would be pretty good in that game .

Reply #393585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How dare you add him before Delany

Reply #393586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petrie and Weigh have probably had equally the same good years tbh. I don't understand the hate.

Reply #393588 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

As a wise sage of the Ozhoops Boards (who is banned here) said:

"I'm guessing the whole point of the All Stars event is to see how the 36ers go with a different coach."

Reply #393594 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

So, the Sixers originally had 3 players in the All-Star game, 1 player in the 3 point shoot-out and 1 player in the dunk comp.
Then we had 2 others who came into the All-Star game as replacement. Oh, and there's a guy called Luke Schenscher who has played in the NBA too.

How does a team with this much recognised talent have a record of 5-7?

Reply #393595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beacuse they're coached by Marty Clarke!

Reply #393601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stevie looks so good when hes warming up with great ball control using two balls but when he gets so much court time and does so little you have to wonder ,and oh Marty should have gone back to Tassie two years ago out of his league!!!!

Reply #393607 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Auryn Macmillon will be out there next. it will be the NBL Development player game soon

Reply #393617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh could be decent but again I blame Clarke for his lack of output.

Sure he plays Weigh 35 minutes a game but when do you see the 36ers play to Weigh's strengths? Get him to come off a couple of screens to get him some open shots. Get him a few post ups when he has a smaller defender on him.

He's not a terrible player in my opinion.

Weigh could be much more productive with a good coach.

Reply #393620 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The best game he ever played for the 36ers was actually his least 36ers minutes and a team win .
Fired him up a bit . Creek was playen pretty good .

Reply #393630 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

IMO, good luck to Stephen Weigh on his call up and I hope he silences a few people, myself included, and actually plays well.

BUT, this is getting a bit beyond a joke. Surely there was a Wildcats or Breakers player more deserving? The way its going, when the South Stars are introduced this arvo it'll be the Adelaide 36ers vs the North All-Stars. Still, we might win since the team will be coached by someone who knows what they're doing.....

Reply #393639 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There's nothing hard to figure out for me there was no reason to play him the most minutes every game in a losing team.

Reply #393649 | Report this post

Bolter  
Years ago

To all the weigh haters. Think he holds his own when you consider the minutes he plays. Bit hard to be productive offensively and defensively the who.e time with those minutes. Give him a break.

Reply #395647 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ it's hard to produce when you get the most opportunity ?

Reply #395649 | Report this post

ugg for less  
Years ago

Were listed at this point via ugg planning boots at reasonable monthly premiums. World wide web translates to assist you to find cheap ugg planning boots http://www.chelseapewter.com/store/ugg-like.htm ugg like boots cheap http://www.chelseapewter.com/store/ugg-like.htm ugg like boots , That will be at the most any and all expensive little bit of ugg http://www.delacour-ranch.com/uggs.html cheap uggs canada .

Reply #452612 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754