Ricey
Years ago

Reece Mastin at NBL All Star

Is this a joke? Last I checked this is a basketball all star game, not an audition for x-factor, what in the actual f**k is wrong with the NBL employees who book "entertainment" like this...

Topic #30294 | Report this topic

Hurls  
Years ago

Here. Here

Reply #393651 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

Thought the same thing...good chance to get the bar i rekn.

Reply #393652 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Ricey - loosen up a bit pal.....i actually think it is a good selection, aimed at the families and kids.

who did you think would be a good fit? meatloaf?

everyone should just have fun at the allstar game today and stop bitching about crap ,i am a bball traditionalist but am really looking forward to the leagues smothering defence to be given the day off.

also watch out for the taipans dark horse in the 3 point shoot out!

Reply #393653 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I actually don't think it's such a bad idea.

Basketball fans who are going to go to the game anyway aren't going to change their minds just because they don't care for the singer, and on the other hand there will be other people for whom the ASG wasn't even on their radar but will go to see Reece. A few extra childrens tickets sold is still better than those seats being empty.

Reply #393654 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No need to get steamed up Ricey. It's good there is some musical entertainment.

You're not looking for a good night?

Reply #393656 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

The way players are dropping he might get a jersey

Reply #393657 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Reece Mastin would be 20k performance fee minimum. For a similar cost you could have any number of artists that would pull kids, teenagers and adults to the game also, not to mention would make sense at a basketball game... For finals we will have Nikki Webster I guess... Not one player in this country would have him on their iPod before a game!!!

Reply #393658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate Reece Mastin, but its just entertainment for the fans man. Loosen up a bit.

Reply #393659 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

But what fans actually listen to him? I don't see that many 12 year old girls at 6ers games...

Reply #393660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey, who would you suggest? Please don't say D&D :)

Reply #393661 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Lol anon... Makes more sense than Reece...

But you have Hoods in town, Bliss N Eso, any number of internationals currently on tour or about to be/recently have been... Costs vary, but could get BnE for a similar pay, maybe a little more, but they would benefit the league, not just be a 1 minute news story for the recap...

It's a cheap publicity stunt getting Reece, and it will show

Reply #393664 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

this is an allstar game(all about entertainment)not a sixers game.
if done properly it can be a great tool to attract new fans.....12 yo girls or not.
i'm sure there are alot of 12yo girls who play bball that dont currently go to nbl games.

not sure where you get the 20k figure from....i would be surprised if it was any more then flights(if needed),accom,meals and approx 2/3k.

Reply #393666 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Been promoting concerts for past 5 years, run record label, and in music industry since birth (uncle has written countless classics for Billy Thorpe, Farnham, Geyer, etc etc etc etc)... The 20k is a very educated guess...

It won't do any good for the league at all... Maybe get them a little more time on news, but that is it...

If the whole point is entertainment, then it makes even less sense to have him... Why entertain 200 people out of a possible 8000 crowd? Idiots... Complete and utter idiots...

It seems this whole day has a been a last minute scramble by the league with no direction...

I guess at the next game we will see a boost in new basketball fans? yeah, good joke

Reply #393667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It all about getting kids and their parents along.

Reply #393668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the NBL is a joke, so this fits nicely

Reply #393669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

parkway drive was in town thursday with i killed the prom queen, would have been a good booking.

Reply #393670 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i have also been in the entertainment industry(small owner operated venue)for approx 20yrs and have hired similar acts within a limited budget.

if the nbl are paying him 20k then they are idiots!

the day certainly seems to have been a bit of a scramble but i hope the fans and players have some fun with it and the nbl finds some positives they can build on for next year.

Reply #393672 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Skull... You do realise he pulls thousands of screaming kids to actual concerts right? No chance of 2k, don't know any booking agents or managers who would even reply to an offer like that... don't know what you have been smoking, but please pass it around!

Reply #393673 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Good point, Ricey. He draws a lot of kids and as a result would not come too cheap.
Which makes it all the more sensible that the NBL chose him for the ASG. I really don't think this game has much appeal to basketball fans, so I think the league is wise to look down other avenues to get people into seats.
As someone who would enjoy seeing Bliss N Eso or HH I definitely feel dirty sticking up for Reece, but I do think he is the one more likely to get people along on the basis of 2 or 3 songs.

Reply #393675 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

ricey,i dont smoke anything.....just telling you what i think.
once again,surely the nbl who are on a shoestring budget couldn't/wouldn't pay him 20k.....

Reply #393677 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Has he been promoted correctly for the all star to the kids? hell no, only found out today he was playing, and i bet no kids know about it, so it's a bad booking more so... Will he benefit league in long run? no... would hoods or BnE? yes, if the NBL approached them correctly and got them onboard earlier on to help with promotion of the game and league... anybody trying to argue Reece performing is a good thing is an idiot, or well yeah, an idiot

Reply #393679 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Sorry Ricey, im against you on this. Targeted at families I think Reece Mastin is an ok idea.

I think the day you bring someone to Adelaide that most people want to go and see, Actually the day you bring someone to Adelaide that ANYONE has even heard of, is the day you can have a crack at the person that booked Reece :p

Reply #393680 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

except if it is for 2/3k.....then its a stroke of genius!

Reply #393681 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Could have run some local talent like Guy Sebastian , Hilltop Hoods or SIA.

Reply #393682 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Been waiting for this thread. Would have started it myself but knew people would be a bit too defensive of the NBL to admit Mastin is a pathetic idea.

Looking forward to booing the talentless little marketing tool though!

Reply #393684 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz... Reece is actually an Adelaide kid.

I doubt $20K was the fee, especially when he is probs in town this time of year for Christmas with the family. Not sure how many families would be happy with their kids listening to hilltops.

End of the day, it was alway going to be a PG artist.

Anyway, five songs. Who cares. By the time you line up for a hotdog an beer he will be finished.

Reply #393685 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

i also included the word talent in my list.

Reply #393686 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Wow that was worth it!

All that torture did was sell 10 extra tickets to 12-year-old girls, make the kiosk lines 2 times as long and kill the atmosphere. Fuck off kid.

Reply #393687 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

You're also crazy if you think the NBL could have got Guy Sebastian for less than Reece Mastin.

I also think the kiosk lines would have been just as long during any musical performance. Never gonna be able to please everyone.

It over now. Game time.

Reply #393688 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Nothing says "fresh" like having Neil Diamond blasting over the speakers at the ASG

Reply #393690 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Fuck... People are retarded... Keep "supporting" the NBL when it makes shit decisions, and we can say bye to NBL in next couple years...

Reply #393691 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Oh. And looks like I was right. What a surprise lol

Reply #393692 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

For what is worth Guy Sebastian did a Sixers per game for less.

Reply #393693 | Report this post

Jerry Denard Jr  
Years ago

Ricey,

I too have years experience booking bands etc, you make some good points, however I'd expect Reece would be getting paid between 5-10K max + costs (flights, accom, transfers rider etc).

You need to consider that this is not a full blown concert, he'll sing 3 songs max + maybe the national anthem. He could catch the 8.20am flight from Syd to comfortably be at AA for an 11am sound check, perform, then be back in Syd for dinner.

I would say his management, in an effort to keep him relevant (which is SO important for any sustained success for these x-factor type talents) would be happy to have him take the booking for a reduced fee.

If I was running the show, and the Hilltops weren't busy with touring/recording I'd approach them to "Host" the whole event + perform at Halftime. Debris could DJ throughout the event and they would legitimately help to promote the event. It would be an awesome day, probably do it for 10k tops - no real extra expenses flights/accom.

Mastin would be a good booking if they genuinely used him effectively in a significant amount of promo. If they paid him 5K then spent another 10K promoting it correctly they would only need to sell an additional 250 family passes to cover these costs. He's kinda the right type of "family friendly" booking, so not terrible.

Alternatively they could get Mitch Creek's favourite hip hoppers to play - Watch the film clip he stars in: http://vimeo.com/49103434

Reply #393694 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

I think Ricey may have seen that video...

Reply #393696 | Report this post

Years ago

The only retard is you RIcey. Your continued negativity is what will kill the NBL not Mastin. He's an Adelaide boy who is probably home for Christmas and I think it was smart move by the NBL to pay a small fee to get a local act. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean others don't also.

I have no experience in the music industry.

Reply #393702 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Clearway would have been better. I went and got KFC when the dunk comp finished, no interest in seeing a little wanna be who cant actually sing trying to please a crowd.

Reply #393703 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Some people need to stop hating and start supporting. I have no idea who Mastin is - and couldn't care less for his teenage anxtey packaged pop - but he fit he family theme they were trying to attract. And overall, the whole package of the day put on by the NBL was far better than I expected. A few hiccups, but an enjoyable afternoon.

Reply #393708 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Lets see. The experiment didn't work. Guess I'm right...

Hoods for 10k? Yup... Def dont know what you are talking about. Funniest thing I've seen on here for a bit...

Yeah. Me being negative about negative things is gonna kill NBL, not people being positive about negative things... Yeah let's keep doing what hasn't/isn't/won't work, maybe we will get a different result...

X.. LOL... Can't believe somebody just posted that link, too funny

Reply #393711 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The kid has 181,000 Twitter followers. What NBL players have on their iPods is absolutely irrelevant.

Reply #393713 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

How many of those 181,000 rocked up Isaac?...

Reply #393715 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

And it's an NBL game... Shouldn't the players half time entertainment represent them maybe just a little?

Reply #393716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to be a huge NBL fan but I couldn't even tell you when the "all-star" game is on...i don't even know why they have one for a crappy 8 team league. smh

the only way I hear about the NBL is when I go out of my way to find info. I haven't seen/heard an ad for the league. It's a real big shame where this game has gone since the 90's.

Reply #393717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't even know who Reece Mastin is therefore the NBL should've had Converge play for half-time entertainment.

To quote Chris Rock, "F__k the kids!"

Reply #393720 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Where's Jon English, or Normie Rowe!?

Reply #393724 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Peter Coombe would have been a far better idea even... At least people would know the lyrics at the game lol

Reply #393729 | Report this post

Jerry Denard Jr  
Years ago

Peter Coombe + his band would have been a better performance.

And yes Ricey Hilltops would demand way more than 10K for a one off concert (more like 30-80K + production + exp). But we're talking more about an appearance fee, to get picked up from your house in a limo, and talk some shit on a mic for an afternoon. Think of it more as an appearance on a radio station. Do you think Triple J pay artists to come on air for an interview and maybe perform a song or two live accoustically?

If Mastin was local and likes hoops he would've done for cheaps, where they should have spent the money was promo-ing the shit out of it to family's and his fan base.

Reply #393730 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

You know nothing of what you are talking about... No point even arguing with you lol

Reply #393735 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

since when has appropriate knowledge and information been important on here?

you're fighting a losing battle Ricey from self appointed 'experts' in their field

Reply #393745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes a wanker.

they could of got someone better.

Reply #393747 | Report this post

Moses Malone  
Years ago

Missed the game and I've never heard of this guy.

The fact he's suppose to be a musician trying to win a contest already reveals to me he is a steaming dog turd.

However, is the show this bloke is on televised on network 10? If so, they probably have him by his little balls and he has to appear as part of his contract?

Reply #393748 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

do you mean like all the afl players have got meatloaf on their ipods??

Reply #393752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure meatloaf goes in the oven, dont think it would cook too well on an ipod.

Reply #393757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moses Malone, he was the winner of the 2011 x-factor ( not just someone trying to win ) and his first album went platinum in Australia and New Zealand. No I'm not a fan of his, and wouldn't know any of his songs if they came on the radio but today was advertised as a family event and there were lots of families there today. It wouldn't matter who was performing today there would always be someone that wasn't happy. I personally used the time he was performing to get something to eat and drink, it meant I didn't miss the things I wanted to see.

Reply #393760 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Too much speculation, not enough facts. Perhaps someone could find out just how much the appearance fee might actually have been, that might give us a better idea if it was worth the effort.

Artist choice not the reason for my attendance, and I just tuned out, but I did see at least one lass at the event who was clearly a fan of Reece (?) and not necessarily there for the basketball.

Reply #393764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Ricey,

Although your opinion is probably well educated and logical, does this negativity really need to be put out there? The day was great. We took about 20 kids who all knew who Reece Masten was ( I had no idea). The kids either loved it or weren't really fazed, but NONE complained. Neither did the adults because we watch these artists for the greater good, ie the kids, the future. So maybe he wasn't the best choice.... But he certainly wasn't the worst. Brighten up Ricey, it's not all bad mate.

Reply #393782 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Well for me, a good rule of thumb would be.. if they perform free concerts at Tea Tree Plaza.. there probably going to be fairly cheap!

Hilltop Hoods would have been absolutely golden, Money probably was a constraint for that but a man can dream cant he? Dj Debris scratching to every play... Hilltops hosting and doing a few songs between each quarter.. that would be Brilliant in a perfect world.

btw, TB "most parents wouldnt want there kids listening to the hoods"? .... Hilltops are hardly offensive! and they would cater more to the demographic of people that were there!!!!!

If they payed Mastin 5-10 grand to attract an extra 10 or so little girls then id say they lost out big time!

If you have to go for TV singing stars, Guy Sebastian singing battle scars may have sufficed.

Reply #393785 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Can I also Add, when I say 'free concerts' yes I do realised hes paid by the center..

Reply #393787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your never going to get someone who appeals to everyone.

I'm sure Reece (and he has a very talented younger sister) would probably like to sing/play a lot of music that would even appeal to me (I like Dream Theater, Bjork, Siger Ros, Muse amoungst other genres and I am a 60 year old), but is told what to do by the marketing, record label people to appeal to the teenybopper demographic who spend the money.

Anyway, despite the fact that the venue has just about the worst sound system and acoustics I have ever experienced - how was his performance?

Reply #393799 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Mastin is a freakin joke.

Reply #394255 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754