Achtung Baby
Years ago

WEIGH-ed Down!

Not only did he get nearly 39 minutes tonight, and was utterly useless... the box score has him for 5 TO's, but I swear it was more. What makes it worse, is that the sixers coach/management have decided to go out and recruit a 6 foot 2 white guy. No possible chance for Weigh to sit on the bench like he should be now, as there is legitimately no sub for him!!! More of the same poor decisions from what is turning out to be the worst management/coach combination the club has seen. Makes me almost embarrassed to be a full paying member, helping to pay these peoples salary.

Topic #30356 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze discussed how weigh had to create his on shot in the 2nd quarter and not 1 play had been ran 4 him. You would think that a guy who won the 3 point contest would have a play or 2 ran 4 him. He did in perth.

Reply #394427 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

I thought Clarke should have used Petrie for him tonight and used Pero as a backup for Luke and DJ.

Reply #394431 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

Also, agree with Anon. No plays run for him at all. Just shows Clarke's complete lack of respect for a shooter. Having said that, he was working very hard on defense and needed a rest.

Reply #394433 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Weigh is supposedly the best shooter on the team but cannot create his own shot. If he can't do it himself he should be getting screens, screens & more screens... Three of his five turnovers were caused through sheer panic. It kind of felt like something went CLICK in the first half. Everything was working. Sadly all it took from NZ was a lift in intensity & physicality & it all fell over. Again, there was a sense of resignation from the crowd.

Reply #394434 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

They have a set play which takes NO
account of individual player strengths. WHY are the big guys both out on the 45s setting screens for the guards???
This coach does NOT set up individuals for plays, ie Darren Ng was left to his own devices to make a play...etc. etc. Grrrr!!!! I feel sorry for the players. They seem to be doing what they are told. I also think they need to practise more on how to get the ball in when the defence is doing a full court press. That has been their undoing on many occasions. I wonder if the whiteboard ever has backcourt plays drawn up or is it all offense plays?

Reply #394438 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Clarke did the same thing with Darren Ng ............... Not enough plays run for his three point shots either.

Reply #394439 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Weigh sucks.

Marty plays him non-stop.

We know this.

Reply #394444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gruff i agree with you about using pero they could have even used daley for a bit when we were 20 points up to give the other guys a rest but petrie has a back injury and i don't think it would have been a good idea to play him more than they did imagine how much trouble the team would be in if he couldn't play

Reply #394446 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

SNAP!!! Spinner. :)

Reply #394456 | Report this post

Quincy  
Years ago

Lets hope this import can turn season around!!!!
Start Monday against Townsville
Daly and Pero should have got some minutes to ease Weigh but 39 mins ouch no wonder he had 5 turnovers!!

Reply #394459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Daly and Pero don't play SF. Petrie was the only option. Import won't help that - too small. Budget was very limited, but wonder if they asked Dorsey?

Reply #394470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know I have watched Cadee since U18 Nationals and Daly was a better player then and would be now if he had a surname and given the same opportunities. Why does Cadee get so much court time and SA juniors get burnt???????

Reply #394472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christopherson will not turn the season around. Not his fault but it's a stupid signing, not what we need. We need a pg that can run a team (which we could have at minimum cost)... Weigh needs plays run for him!

Reply #394475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is 4 PGs on the roster and your solution is to sign another PG? Riiiiight.

Reply #394479 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Can anyone confirm if Petrie was playing with a bad back tonight? Once again was on the floor and not on the seats when subbed out of the game.

FWIW, I have no issue with Weigh being on the team. He has proven quite useful. I might not necessarily have him playing 30 plus minutes a game but with Creek out and Petrie possibly injured are there other other alternatives for the small forward position on the roster?

Also agree with the earlier comments about little opportunity for Weigh to get open shots.

Reply #394482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah i would, gibbo isn't a pg more a combo, cadee to inexperienced and croswell is shit. We cant close out games because we lack a guy who can stand up, lead and close out games.
Even with gibbo and cadee the blaze still had deeleon.
Gaze and carfino both mentioned it tonight and i totally agree.
Homicide would be easily to clear, would have played tonight and we would have won.

Reply #394484 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Weigh has not got the mobility to work off screens.
Pick and pop guy when playing 4 and can post up when
in the 3 spot. Limited skill set for wing player.
Major problem for team and no cure in sight.Always gives 100% but his production is probably the worst per minute in league for a wing player.

Reply #394485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams is playing in Lebanon. Not every rumour is true.

Reply #394489 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Weigh was better under Beverage. post should be Clarked down!

Reply #394492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumours were that Dorsey, Farley, Williams were all interested in the role, knowing the min salary, not sure if any are true, but if they were they all likely would have been better fits than Christopherson,

Dorsey and Farley bring some athelticism, clutch shooting/scoring ability and length both above 6'5 that the team needs.

Williams brings a pg, who has the confidence/ego to take over a game, which the team needs.

All have the style of play that puts bums on seats, but not necessarily a 'Marty' type of guy, all would play with some flair/attitude/'wont get bogged down in structure' which ironically makes them better fits for the role, but likely the exact reason they were not picked.

Without seeing Christopherson play, he fills neither of these needs and at best will be Gibson with potentially a better jump shot, given the sixers dont seem to get guards great looks (or Weigh one of the best shooters in the league) he could end up being totally wasted ala CJ. I hope he ends up being a Lisch/DeVries level player, and used properly by coach, but anything less, and he will be wasted and may aswell have bought in one of the others who atleast bring something different to the team and would create offensive opportunities for themselves (assuming they get on court)

Best of luck Scott, and Weigh we are all cheering for you, but just think/worried your talents are/will be wasted, and therefore bringing not much to the team, through no fault of your own as you are just playing the role the coach gives you.

Reply #394498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nail on head anon

Reply #394503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gilchrist is another i would have approached, not sure if available/interested in a min salary role, but reading his blogs previously i reckon he just about would be, and would bring similar attributes to Williams, whilst being younger, and proven at NBL level, i reckon most people would be confident you could slot him into starting pg and he would get you around 15 points, 5 assists and a few exciting/clutch plays along the way. Older guys like Williams and Farley slightly more risky, but previously been MVP level guys, Dorsey also fairly safe and would bring athleticism and defense we now lack without Creek.

Imagine a Gibson/Gilchrist back court with Cadee backing them up, how good would that be, to me that would be the ideal. Any better back court in the league?

I doubt the 36ers even contacted Gilchrist or Dorsey, either would have been great for the team and proven at NBL level, if either/both offered to play the role for min salary and didnt get taken up on it is more reason for a coaching change.

Reply #394508 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

Those players would be great as can penetrate and draw extra defenders. That's what we are missing. If the d collapses guys are open on the wings. NZ had so many open shots as Jackson was in the paint most of the night.
If your open you will make a higher percentage of shots, it's simple.

I like weigh as he works on d pretty hard and kept Abercrombie quiet but he needs to get open and hit the shots, not try and penetrate which is when he turned it over.

Reply #394554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: There is 4 PGs on the roster and your solution is to sign another PG?

It worked for the Kings ;-)

Reply #394564 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re Gilchrist, since his injury he has struggled in leagues well below the standard of the NBL.

I say let's see how the new guy goes before wishing for guys who are probably past it. He has a good pedigree and is the typo of combo guard you need in the NBL, let's see if he can make an impact.

Reply #394565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul the problem is we don't have a pg that can run the team down the stretch, christopherson might be good but I doubt he will run the team when the games on the line

Reply #394586 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gibson has had some great last quarters as well as some bad ones, he isnt the problem, the lack of help for him is. 35mins guarding Jackson (with arguably the two worst pick-and-roll bigs in the league 'helping' him) while being his team's only offensive creator is too much to ask, of course he made some tired mistakes at the end.

As long as Christopherson can create his own shot and a few for others from the SG spot (which he has on the past) Gibson will be more effective.

Whether that will cure the 36ers fourth quarter woes Im not sure, theyve been around for a long time now. The 36ers are 4-6 in tight finishes this season, and most of the losses have come since they have been a player (or two last night) down.

Anyway, last night was a disaster and without two wins against the Crocs in the next week the season is over.

Reply #394597 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Weigh was free and open for the shot so many times, the 36ers did not pass to him. They should have, it was frustrating to watch!

Weigh isn't the problem this year like he was previous years, he's actually the stabilising rock in some respects

Reply #394616 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Paul, you sound convinced Marty will give Scott "Rubber Duck" Christopherson the type of minutes that allow him to have a favourable influence on the result.

Reply #394634 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

Well said "BigAds".

Reply #394654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh was basically the only non pg or big on the team. He had to play big minutes.

Reply #394670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754