Jack Higgins
Years ago

My reasons as to why the 36ers are struggling

Hi everyone; I have been reading with intent everyones thoughts on Marty Clarke and the players.
My 2 cents as to why the team is struggling and the crowds are dwindling.
Stability to me is the main reason.
When the sixers last has sustained success between 1997 & the last title winning season in 2002, we had a very stable team with a core group of players.
All Phil Smyth did was bring in role players who would compliment the current team.
The team consisted of Maher, Mee, Brooks, Sapwell, Reese, Williams, Stiff, Nash, Cattalini and Holmes.
Than he would bring in role players like Illman, farley (probably more than a role player) and Matt Garrison.
The players and coaches all knew their roles defensively and offensively and more importantly the fans could emotionally invest in their team, as they knew they would be around for the long haul.
Now you can't buy a player singlet cause who knows if they will be around for the next season.
I don't think there is a single player left from the first game Clarke coached 2 and a half seasons ago.
Please feel free to discuss as I would love to know peoples views on this.

Topic #30363 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

There is no doubt teams that have won titles or been extremely successful have kept majority of their team. However, this means that teams that aren't successful have nothing else to do but to bring in new players.

If you're team isn't successful you aren't going to continue with the same players. So you can't really say keep the same team and win championships. You can only say that if you have a really good team.

Also these days there are other factors these days which stop teams from keeping onto players, such as players moving over seas or going to a rival team for more money.

Reply #394744 | Report this post

Jack Higgins  
Years ago

Very valid points. just trying to generate a bit of discussion. not saying my ideas are definitively going to instantly make the team an overnight success. unfortunately Clarke will go down as the worst coach in our history. if anything we have gone backwards.

Reply #394745 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stability been raised before. Arguments for and against.

Reply #394754 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

As a cats fan I think the sixers have one of the most talented squads on paper and at the moment they are not playing to there strengths in the first half against the breakers they were playing to there strengths by going inside to there twin towers who were dominating the game but in the second half they went away from it so either the breakers did an awesome job in changing there defence forcing them to go away from it or the sixer players thought they had the game won and had a mental laps the other thing it could be is Marty Clarke changed the game plan I think overall it's a fitness and mental thing with the team and they don't know how to win they need to change the coaches and the fitness staff to be able to learn to win again also Adam Gibson is over rated as a player if they sack Clarke and he leaves they will be a better team

Reply #394772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to make the above post readable...

"As a Cats fan, I think the Sixers have one of the most talented squads, on paper, and at the moment, they are not playing to their strengths.

In the first half against the Breakers, they were playing to their strengths by going inside to their twin towers who were dominating the game but in the second half, they went away from it, so either the Breakers did an awesome job in changing their defence, forcing them to go away from it, or the Sixers players thought they had the game won and had a mental lapse. The other thing it could be is that Marty Clarke changed the game plan. I think overall it's a fitness and mental thing with the team and they don't know how to win. They need to change the coaches and the fitness staff to be able to learn to win again. Also Adam Gibson is over-rated as a player. If they sack Clarke and he leaves, they will be a better team."

Reply #394792 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Thanks anon. Nike Al has lost his full stop key on the computer!

It was mentioned on another post that Clarke will be the worst 36er coach in history after this year. I think worst coach in NBL history is closer to the mark. This moniker wouldn't have happened had they cut him so in hindsight the Adelaide hierarchy, though staying loyal (for fiscal reasons) has ruined his career. Can he go back to AIS after this debacle? Who could have respect for him? He's a nice guy & it's a shame but he can't coach - end of story!!

Reply #394817 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Either that or C@ts fans can speak sans oxygen.

Reply #394826 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Nike Al...

Clarke can go...but the 6ers would surely want to retain Gibbo.

In half a season he has become the central cog in the 6er engine, something I expected either DJ or Weigh to have become but I was wrong.

Gibbo is as valuable to this team as Damo is to the C@ts.

Reply #394827 | Report this post

Kmoney  
Years ago

coach

Reply #394860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"farley (probably more than a role player)"...................yeah I think it's safe to say he was more than a role player mate..

Reply #394896 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

He was talking about Farley in the present.

Reply #394902 | Report this post

Midnight Blue  
Years ago

Bring back a local boy that has been away for many years and was an original Sixer himself.
The boy has many qualifications and has been successful in Junior and Senior coaching gigs(Premierships locally and accross borders)
He has International knowledge and experience coupled with a passion to continually be successful.He builds teams through Development of Juniors and gains valuable experienced players if needed for his team mix.
This guy cares about SA basketball and understands supporter interest and enthusiasm while keeping things simple yet challenging for his teams.
As "King Cole" recently said" Basketball should not be complicated play D play O and back your team to be better at executing both over your competitor"
DK worth a shot we have tried lesser experienced coaches!!

Reply #394998 | Report this post

Bolter  
Years ago

Think you are wrong about gibbo Marcus

Reply #395639 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754