Mystro
Years ago

Taipans Vs Breakers

After the big come back win against the Sixers Tommy, Mika, Cedric and Co head up to Cairns for New Years Eve. Breakers played Cairns after getting their buts kicked in Sydney last time and took out their issues on the Taipans smashing them in NZ as well as beating them in Cairns in round 6 .

Breakers are 10/3 in 1st and the Taipans are 4/8 and in 6th behind Adelaide.

Breakers by 12.

Topic #30376 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

16-8 to NZ to finish the 1st quarter, Pledger still has happy feet and Cairns struggling with NZ's press. Jackson just another night at the office.

Reply #395159 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Anyone watching the game, what was the delay at 2:34 for? All that happened during the delay was bruton dried his hands with a towel and then on the very next play he hit the corner three. Why was there a delay?

Reply #395162 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

not sure can't remember. Freethrow shooting has been poor from both teams.

Reply #395163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie and Pledger are struggling offensively at the moment, but man they are both awesome defensive players. Nobody seems to be able to get past Abercrombie off the dribble and I dont think anyone in the league guards Trigger better than Pledger...the breakers are already damn good but when those guys rediscover their touch offensively they will be championship favourites for sure!

Reply #395229 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah I'm hoping Tommy's struggles will be gone come the playoffs. He has been looking more aggressive going to the hole since Allstar weekend but hasn't been getting the calls.

Reply #395251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns have too many ok players and not enough great ones. Wilson needs someone to help him carry the team and Edwards should be getting more minutes instead of Loughton

Reply #395278 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Was at the game last night, despite a great atmosphere from a sold-out convention centre I was disappointed.. again.. by a lackluster Taipans performance. Anonymous above has hit the nail on the head: "too many OK players not enough great ones".

A couple of other things:

1. Aaron Fearne looked broken last night. I've always though he gets too much flack from armchair critics but he really doesn't look like he's got any answers anymore. And he would have been livid if they lost by two after he got tech'd for chasing down the ref. If Taipans finish bottom two he needs to go.
2. Half the team just look like they're going through the motions. I've heard a few rumours from people who are more involved with the team than me and the mood in the Taipans camp is apparently just rock bottom atm. Again, the coach should be pulling the team together but it seems the opposite is happening.
3. Edwards in particular needs to decide if he can be bothered and if not he needs to be moved on. He was atrocious last night, two or three silly, silly turnovers. I've seen him come to life 2 or 3 times this season but the rest of the time he just doesn't seem to care and shuffles about like he's waiting for the bar to open.
4. The Taipans needs a major cleanout at the end of the year and people need to start making decisions based on performance in games rather than popularity with the locals. Dusty Rychart's 3 year contract is up this season, Brad Hill still isn't amounting to much, even Alex Loughton (who is a lovely guy) just gets less effective each year.
5. Aaron Grabau is still a classy, classy player. It's worth the price of admission just to watch him wind up whoever he ends up guarding.
6. It's like 2010/2011 all over again.. what the hell's happened to the free throws?

All in all a frustrating game, largely because although the Taipans were off there was a real sense that they could have had it if they'd shot better from the freethrow line, came up for a few more rebounds and paid a bit more attention.

Reply #395411 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Fearne got them to the Finals with a team not much better bar the imports and an actual centre. I don't believe getting rid of him is the answer. He cannot be held responsible for the shocking turnovers, was it Bruce that passed Hill the ball when trapped despite Hill being on the sidelines waiting to check in?
If they were bottom of the table 2-9 Fearne would have a case to answer but they aren't, but a small player review and subsequent clean out in the offseason may help the cause for next season.

Reply #395435 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

On another note, Breakers putting themselves in a very good position to get the historic 3peat. Winning ugly is still winning.

Reply #395441 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

CT have always liked the way Grabba goes about it.
But his insertion into the lineup after injury and into the starting group has been a "shocker" Team was getting great production from Hill and Styndl now getting much less from three players. Throw in Gliddons lack of production and its been left to Jamar on the perimeter.Team gone from looking like a potential finals team to battling for spoon. Sometimes
it is just the balance and chemistry. Same in the front court as Trigger now struggling along with the other forwards who are on and off the court regularly.
Team would be better with 8 main guys knowing their roles. Plenty of talent on team, no one playing well at moment. Chemistry ???

Reply #395459 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Trade Crosswhite for Edwards and I reckon the win record looks a fair bit different.

Reply #395619 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"a small player review and subsequent clean out in the offseason may help the cause for next season"

Hope so. It's difficult to tell who'll want to stick around the way things are going. Cairns isn't the most exciting place to live and it hasn't been easy keeping talent around for very long up here.

More than anything they really need to get a couple of good home wins under their belt. Morale will pick up no end if they do.

Reply #395633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

F

Reply #395646 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

there aren't many teams for players who aren't "Stars" to pick and choose between so Cairns may have some luck in the offseason recruiting

Reply #395651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754