..?..
Years ago

New year prediction

Kobe, no team with that schedule would be locking in 3-0 at home. Obviously replacing Perth or NZ with a Wollongong or form team where appropriate.

0-3 would be goodbye coach. 1-2 disappointing, predictable minimum. 2-1 would be slight redemption.

Quote isaac
Will it be bye bye

Topic #30380 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

For context, the three game stretch I was talking about was Perth, Townsville, NZ. Dropping the NYE game on top of that is not good. Change is due, IMO.

Reply #395301 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Marty Clarke wont get his contract renewed.

Reply #395316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

couple of players might want to think about life after nbl too!

Reply #395318 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Marty Clarke SHOULD be shown the door and pushed out of it before Friday nights game. It seriously can't go on like this.

Reply #395319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For gods sake Marty WILL NOT be sacked mid season... Everyone needs to let it go.

Reply #395327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the owners not to be taking any action now seems to indicate that they are just going to let the season end before walking away themselves.

Reply #395332 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Where is the option for 3 - 0?

I believe in this team.

I believe in our Head Coach.

Reply #395333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't be many fans left then!

Reply #395334 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

We know you do Marcus. Get over it. No one cares.

Reply #395346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS the 36ers are in 5th spot and 5 - 8, hardly coach sacking time...!!!!!!!!!!
If every team sacked their coach from that position there wouldnt be many coaches left to choose from.
This constant call for blood shows how fickle you bunch are.
If they finish the season in last spot i agree something needs to be done but they're still able to make finals.

Reply #395348 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camby, they went 0-3. 3-0 option wasn't needed. My point was that expecting 3-0 against that opposition was a hard call for any team.

Anon, they've finished last before. We need to salvage this season while we can.

Reply #395354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Isaac, but they're clearly in a mini slump after a good start.
Yes they've made stupid decisions but none the less they can still turn things around as there's plenty of season left. If you sack coaches that easily nobody would bother applying for those jobs, like it or not they need to let the season pan out and make an assesment when its done, for a few rea$ons...

Reply #395357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers are 5-9, the Crocs bottom of the ladder are 4-10 and for the record 3-0 against the Sixers so far this season.

Reply #395358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no point sacking a coach mid season with that record AND the apparent players support, the fallout could be far worse than the initial reaction.
I cant possibly see how bringing someone in mid season with zero time to adjust or implement anything that would work could fix or make good the current situation, it would be spending good money after bad, you cant let Radford take over either so i can see lots of good reasons NOT to do anything till seasons end, as tough as that may be for some of you.
It would also allow the club a substantial amount of time to find the RIGHT replacement, not bandaid on the fly.

Reply #395362 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I've just about stopped caring.

I don't see anything changing.

We've been a disaster for years now.

Really hoping some positive change is affected ASAP.

Reply #395416 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers for the 3peat, Jackson MVP and Lemanis for COTY if the Kings don't make the playoffs otherwise Shane Heal and Marcus Camby will take Troll of the year for upsetting the Sixers fans with any talk of Clarke a) re-signing b) not being totally at fault c) players being happy with the Coaching Staff.

Reply #395439 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'357, no one's looking at this as an isolated season, but the third of three years. This one is especially concerning given it's a third year of experience, the roster is decent and the problems appearing are consistent. How many games have we been in a commanding position and then thrown it away?

Reply #395446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again changing stuff mid season just to keep some fans happy is not the right decision either. Cute that Smyth get a mention. Fans turned on him at the end to.

If he does have players support and no reason to believe he doesn't then mid season change would do nothing.

Yes losing sucks but other than I think 2 games all others have been between 1 and 5 points. Not really thrashings, really just make an extra shot or two. There is nothing else between them.

As for supporters who say there will be no fans left well If you are that fickle the club has more problems, having you guys jump ship when it's tough and then when it's comes good acting like you are life long supporters.

Reply #395447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you change coaches mid season? it makes no sense.
The team is 5th, not last, It would cost a fortune to pay out an existing contract unless there are out clauses based on KPI's that are currently not being met, it will also cost a chunk to pay the replacement and likely piss the players off.
The "stand in" coach is on an absolute hiding to nothing because they cant possibly change anything offensively or defensively in a week, it takes months to teach/learn new systems.
Nobody with any brains who wants the team long term would touch them till they get a full pre season with the group AND input into the roster, so the only people who would take over are inexperienced coaches with nothing to lose or those desperate to coach, neither scenario is what's needed.

The only reason you'd change coaches now is if:
1) The club has an out on his contract that wont cost them money. and
2) They have a money tree. and
3) They cant make finals. and/or
4) They have already decided he wont be back next year regardless of how the rest of the season goes AND they have selected a sound replacement.

Reply #395451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll tell you what sacking him will achieve - it will allow fans to be passionate about their team again.

Marty might be a nice guy, but in his first two years at the club his PR skills were awful. He came off like an arrogant prick who despised the fans and now he has reaped what he sowed,

Have you noticed lately how the crowd doesnt get behind the team at home games like it used to? This team is unlikeable with him as coach. For the first time since I've had season tickets I skipped games last year and went and watched United intead. Instead of slagging off fans taking their money elsewhere surely the club can look at the commercial realities and cut off the dead weight killing this club.

Reply #395457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if you can stop being passionate about your club that easily you were never passionate about it in the first place. Don't get passion confused with liking but easily put off.

I to hate the position we are in but as a member as well I will still be there for every game supporting my team instead of running off crying so I don't like Marty so I will go watch the lame arse soccer instead.

Reply #395462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You little shit, do not tell me what I am and am not passionate about.

It's that passion that sent me vomiting after our loss to Sydney at home a few weeks back.

You offensive prick.

Reply #395476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To add maybe you like seeing our club die, I'd rather some action be taken.

I really question your passion right now.

Reply #395478 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

Losing 6 straight is not a mini slump Isaac. Even thought they may be close games, all this shows is that the players are not desperate enough to win.

Marty showed no passion for the game when getting demolished by the breakers and in time outs looked lost for words and strategy.

You replace a coach mid season to salvage a good team on paper and make the playoffs. Can be done but obviously Marty is not getting the most out of his players and no one seems experienced enough to handle game time pressure. Marty included.

Reply #395492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW! Some fair weather "front runner" supporters here, bet it's the same ugly supporters who boo at games and make disgusting personal comments towards the Refs and opposition players, will only support their team if they're winning but "ZOMG were losing sack the coach".
Kdb, you obviously dont know professional sport very well if you think just changing the coach will magically produce a turnaround with playoff results, nor are you an accountant, somebody has to pay for the changes, will you sooks cover the payout costs...?

Reply #395496 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'457...

Sorry but Anon'462 is correct, you support the team through thick and thin.

You don't just stop being passionate when there is a coach you don't like.

Fairweather supporter.

Everyone should be onboard with the team's vision, together forwards and onwards.

Reply #395497 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

Anon '469

"I don't know professional sports" Sorry did you say this the day after the NFL sack 7 coaches, and the Nets sacked Avery after 1/4 of a season with a .500 record.

Professional sports is about winning. You lose more games in a row than you have won all season, then yes you deserve to be sacked. 3rd year of a 3 year plan and you can't win one game out of 3 against the bottom team in the league. Townsvile are 1-10 v the rest of the league and 3-0 against Adelaide.

To clarify my comments, A reason why you might sack a coach mid season is to turn a good team on paper into a playoff team if they aren't performing now.

There are good players on this team but they lack structure, composure and a clear vision of the type of team they want to be. That all points squarely at a coaching deficiency. Sometimes being a good coach with your x and o just doesn't cut it. Passion and hunger and desire to win gets you over the line in close games.

None of this emotion or passion is evident at any time during a game... Only off the course when blaming your import and sacking him for apparently not performing well enough in 1-2 minute stints.

Reply #395503 | Report this post

No Respect  
Years ago

Marcus

As you know so much about the situation, can you please explain the team's vision so that we so-called "fairweather supporters" can be onboard???

Reply #395507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kdb, the NFL sacking came AT THE END of the season no?

But i digress, are you sacking the coach mid season to punish him and appease the "fans" (cough cough)???? or are you sacking the coach because you have a solution: i.e a highly qualified Coach with a proven track record sitting in the background ready to go with a comprehensive sound "rescue" plan as to how they will address the current situation and turn it around??

So which one is it???? Half the twits here are only interested in the first and have no clue about the second, lucky they arent running the club... or any club for that matter.

Reply #395510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No point sacking Marty without a sound workable solution.

Reply #395511 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

Of course you have to look at a more viable solution. With plenty of coaches available sometimes all that is needed is a new voice and direction for the players to respond.

Agreed you don't sack a coach to appease fans. But with 12 weeks to go and already 4 games outside of a playoff spot. A change is required if you want to salvage this season. If you don't, save your money and wait til the end of the year unless you have your solution coach available now.

Coaching gigs are given based on win/loss. Losing 6 straight for any team should be unacceptable in any sport at any time by a coach. No excuses for Marty.

Can't go and use CJ as a scapegoat and lose your next 3 games. Good coaches don't go a blame their players for not winning games. Especially towards a player who single handedly won them the game against Perth

Reply #395514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The CJ situation was handled very poorly, but a new coach now, regardless of who it is is definately NOT a guarantee of any improvement at this point of the season, infact it could make things worse, its a coin toss.

A fresh start next season with a propper pre season with a new coach selected after a proper investigation would be the most logical way forward.

Reply #395520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree with that. New coach, especially a local, could be beneficial for club and fans. Might be to late already in terms of expecting a drastic form reversal under new, fresh guidance but could really get crowd numbers going again if they got on a run. Relastionship with fans is more concerning to me than win/ loss colum.

Is marty's position already untenable? Crowds are down, players appear frustrated, never have i seen such publicly stated, genuine dislike for a coach ( petitions, facebook pages, booing at home games) and on top of this a poor season to date with a more than useful roster.

Sadly, if we keep droping games, can see crowds similar to the perth game post c.j sacking. So i think a coaching change could do more for the club than just make w/l collum more respectable.

Could also entice players to extend stay here. Really can see potential in this group to be long term core identity of team. I just think there brainwashed under marty atm as to there true roles. Would be a shame if gibbo, weigh left at seasons end because of martys impending exit.

Reply #395532 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Marty NEVER blamed CJ for any of the teams woes.

You guys read wrongly into that.

CJ was not the right fit for the team and had to be moved (at a certain timeframe to save precious $).

Can someone please show me where Marty said 'CJ cost us gamez!'?

Reply #395537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

kdb, where have I said anything in this thread about a mini-slump? I'm looking at this series of losses (almost following a pattern) at the tail of a few shoddy years. I was ready for a change of coach earlier in the season.

IMO, a home loss to the Crocs, giving up the big lead to NZ and then a road loss to the Crocs without Holmes have been three pretty big strikes.

Reply #395543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Support ure team!! The players need to step up!! Coach can do so much! Players get paid to play! The team has'nt got a go to guy!! That roster should be fighting for a top 2 not a top 4 postion! That game against nz waz like watching an un 14's play on a sat mourning! Cant just blame the coach every game! Or weigh! Wish he was still in perth! Got cadee hasnt proven anything yet to be a starter in the nbl, gibbo is a 2 guard, twin towers never wk, need petrie in the 5. Il put luke, weigh, petrie gibo and croswell for now! He mite be shit but id rathe have him than cadde!

Reply #395565 | Report this post

Midnight Blue  
Years ago

DEAN KINSMAN FOR NEXT COACHING ROLE IN ADELAIDE

Bring back a local boy that has been away for many years and was an original Sixer himself.
The boy has many qualifications and has been successful in Junior and Senior coaching gigs(Premierships locally and accross borders)
He has International knowledge and experience coupled with a passion to continually be successful.He builds teams through Development of Juniors and gains valuable experienced players if needed for his team mix.
This guy cares about SA basketball and understands supporter interest and enthusiasm while keeping things simple yet challenging for his teams.
As "King Cole" recently said" Basketball should not be complicated play D play O and back your team to be better at executing both over your competitor"
Worth a shot we have tried lesser experienced coaches!!

Reply #395669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prediction 36ers 2013 Clarke sacked at end of season 36ers declare bust Gibson Jones Petrie Creak & Weigh get picked up by other teams and rest go back to State Leagues where they belong.Don't blame MC for all the above blame management for not showing leadership I cannot stand Clarke he was an arrogant knob at the AIS and was never going to be successful in this league another example of no brains is the Pero thing what a joke you can get a good kid outa college for less money

Reply #396203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754