Anonymous
Years ago

State under 18 boys team 2005

Blood-Brown-Fildes-Gemmo-Harvey-Hemmings-Kargans-Molitor-Slaghekke-Whittleson.What do people think?

Topic #3043 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most people would have picked that group or very close to it. They are are decent group and should be a top 4 finish.

Reply #34826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

girls?

Reply #34827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls- Martin, Mencel, Newley, Francis, Masfield, Romeo, Kaminski, Kinross, McPhail and Bishop

Reply #34838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is that a definate?
godluck to em, theyll be a strong team :)

Reply #34848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys team is definite.

Reply #34851 | Report this post

Years ago

They dont have a enough height, but they make up with hustle and intensity. Maybe a top 8 positon if lucky

Reply #34853 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

If Bidshop has been named in the 18s does this mean she is definetly NOT in the gems or who will replace her...

Reply #34864 | Report this post

Mark Coughlin  
Years ago

tell you what molitor had better improve his on court attitude towards players and especially referee's because the ref's at the classics and nationals will not stand for it and he will hurt his team and himself.

Reply #34875 | Report this post

GuYfAwKeS  
Years ago

Same for Phil B and Sam H mouthing off and whining too much and too often! Something the State Coach needs to FIX immediately or fireworks will happen.

Reply #34877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cmon Mark,

Just cuz u had troubles with Chris doesn't mean others (like myself on say his semi final game) can't find a way to talk to the guy.

Reply #34879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the reserves for the girls...???

Reply #34885 | Report this post

magic  
Years ago

Kinross, are you kidding me??!! Were there only 10 people at trials with two arms and two legs??

Reply #34886 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

The team doesn't doesn't get named until tomorrow so discussion on the 18 girls is pointless.

Reply #34887 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Boys i cant see making top 4 maybe a 5th or 6th women look really strong with mencel and francis to lead the way for the girls

Reply #34902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The girls have a super easy draw, expect them to make the final.

Reply #34911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

trex, im fairly sure that abby isnt in the state team, as she IS in the gems team.

Reply #34958 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

yeah seriously you cannot say that sa boys will get top four, you cannot compare them to teams like nsw, vics and queensland. I'd have to say nsw country for gold in the boys.

Reply #35004 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Vic metro
Vic country
New Zealand
NSW Country
Qld ??
Nsw Metro

That's my tip for top six.

Reply #35008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bishop in the Gems team.

So who made the team for the girls then....??

Reply #35046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who made the under 16 boys state team? Heard that was just announced. If so what are there chances?

Reply #35050 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

i can't believe the amount of talent dropping out of basketball in u/18s guys this year. vic metro are missing 3 of their 4 all australian players from 16s, dave mecanovic having moved to qld south, vic country are missing pendlebury, hickey & hardy, i hear daniel johnson from wa metro has quit and tom robinson an all aus from queensland south isnt playing. it seems that standards this year have dropped slightly, and its kind of weird that so many all australians and prospects arent playing anymore, especially when this age group is the next u/20 world championship group.

Reply #35051 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

dr dunkenstein, i hope that top six isnt in order at all (talkin about boys of course). no way will new zealand come near a medal, and you wont see vic country that high up either. You dont need to put a question mark next to queensland, the south team with ahrens and now mecanovic will certainly be up near medals. nsw teams are very strong and it would not surprise me if both came away with medals.

Reply #35052 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

diddy - from your last two posts, it obviously you know a truck load more then me, but yes, they are in order. Unfortunatly i have no reason for that placing, and can't back myself up. I'll just cross my fingers, and cop the results on the chin in a few months time.

enlighten us with your predictions and well make a contest out of it.

on a side note, did see New Zealand play in Albury in Jan and they looked very impressive (not sure if it was 18's as well, but 16 were awesome, medalled, and dunked ON that's right, on one of my players.)

Reply #35063 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

yeah i saw 16s new zealand play in albury and i agree, very impressive. I was playing in 18s for nsw country down there at the time (dropped 28 and 38 on both sa teams but dont mean to brag ;)). Unfortunately the talent wasn't in their 18s side at all, they might have got fifth at best.
As for my predictions in july im a bit biased towards our side nsw country but i do believe we should win (hopefully we'll get more than one in all aus this year). the next three spots will be close between nsw metro, queensland south and vic metro. Thats my top four we'll see how we go in july, i should be close seeing as though i know most of the teams reasonably well.

Reply #35279 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Out of interest, what were the final positions in albury in the 16 and 18 boys. wasn't the final of the 18s between two vic country teams.

Your right, SA metro will be stronger than country, but both should be competitive (read mid range,) but i doubt either will medal.

Reply #35281 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

in the 16s i believe new zealeand won, i think vics came second and i think nsw and vic were playin off for third and fourth, not sure on that though. in 18s vic gold. won followed by nsw waratahs then nsw kookas (my team) then vic bushrangers. i doubt vic country will go as well at nationals though as we were missing three all aus players in january.
yeh neither s.a. team should really medal judging on their performance in the past.
And by the way we play new zealand first game at nationals, so we'll certainly see how they go.

Reply #35285 | Report this post

annoymous  
Years ago

how is u18s metro girls going

Reply #36434 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

What are some of the scores coming out from country vs metro trial games- have they held any as yet???

Reply #36440 | Report this post

big brother  
Years ago

Kinross didnt make 18G....the team as far as i know is
Mencel
Martin
Newley
Francis
McPhail
Mansfield
Kaminiski
Romeo
Gee
and Peris

6 First years.....should make for an impressive team...both 2005 and 2006

Reply #36441 | Report this post

poor brown  
Years ago

Surely that team deserves gold. You would be shaking in your boots if u looked at that team on paper and had to come up against them.

How is the dynamics of the team- does anyone know??? That will be what gets them over the line- do they all get along? Yeah- hav the state teams been having trial matches?

Reply #36547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diddy are you Ben Dowdell?

Reply #36556 | Report this post

round ball  
Years ago

SA Metro and Country 18 mens have played each other a couple of times with Metro winning both and comfortably in the second game. Country rely heavily on Dodman and seebohm to make them competitive. Metro play good uptempo defense and seem to play well together as a groupat both ends of the court.

Reply #37609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the Vic Metro U18 mens team??

Reply #37742 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

vic metro will be alright even though they've lost a few players. They have arnott, dorning, natoli, louis from memory, and a few other alrighties.

Reply #37906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they seem to have a few first years, very suprising, is it certain that mecanovic is playing for Qld south???

Reply #37970 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

Yeh i'm pretty certain he is, i heard he'd moved, and i saw his name posted in the qld side on their website. But vic metro should still be quite competitive, they always are, even though this seems to be a relatively weak year for the usually incredible vic met sides.

Reply #37996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont get ahead of urself young diddy, vic metro will and always have been the benchmark at nationals. they play in the toughest leauge in Australia all year round, and mentally hold an edge over all states. even after last years performance. my top 4:
Vic met
NSW country
Qld south
WA met.
watch out for Qld north

Reply #38073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #38081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Natoli is awesome he has grown and bulked up in the past year as well

Reply #38087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i guess ur tipping a vic metro victory at nats

Reply #38096 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

I'm not forgetting about vic metro i said they'd be competitive, but they weren't "the benchmark" two years ago when they didn't win a medal, after beating them then and improving as much as we have, we should win if we play well, not to say that it would be easy at all. You're top 4 should include nsw metro, they will be hard to stop with two 6'10" starters a.j. and ross, helped by by a few good little shooters.

Reply #38604 | Report this post

joecanttouchthis  
Years ago

Rob Cameron should be in the team. If he plays with Molitor all yr round in district ball they have to have clicked somewhere. wouldn they play magic together then???

Reply #38605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah, ive even heard nsw metro players say there team is shit. no one knows about wam, there on the other side of the country, they could be tougher and better now, so it will be interesting to see how they go, and qlds are a shoo in for top 2 in their pool

Reply #38628 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

diddy is right, the emensly talented NSW country team will be hard to stop Dowdell and gynes are beasts but the jewel in the crown is daneil jackson. If he plays well they will be hard to stop. I have a question mark on NSW C big game performances in the finals though. Are you kidding QLD north will be lucky to make the top eight as for south mecanovos is named in the Vic Met squad so they will be releing on ahrens to win there games (he is no pat mills boys)

Reply #38678 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

big bad, the Vic Metro Under 18 Boys' TEAM 2005 as listed, is

Ashley Arnott
Ben Louis
Caleb Barry
Jadranko Jusufagic
Jonathan Dorning
Kristian Williams
Luke Davis
Ryan Barnes
Todd Goldstein
Zachary Natoli

there is no David Mecanovic, he is listed to play for Queensland South Under 18 Men:
Michael Ahrens
Nash Allsop
Chris Goulding
Brendan Graham
Matt Madden (208cm)
Matt Massey
David Mecanovic
Toby Pirhi
Joel Tippett
Cameron White

diddy, Daniel johnson has been listed as playing for WA, full team is,
JOHNSON Daniel
ILIADIS Trian
OLSZEWSKI Ian
VAHALA Martin
ALABAKIS Ty
RICHES Luke
FORD Luke
VALE Mark
DUNNELL Andrew
ARMOUR Kyle
COACH: ALAN BLACK

Maybe he hasn't quit? But some talent has been dropping out or not getting selected (scott pendlebury could be injured,he ripped at the junior olympic's in sydney, march 2005).
Although victoria metro's Jadranko Jusufagic was in a selection trial group for this years AIS team, which shows vic depth. anyone know about him?
cheers

Reply #38686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pendlebury is on to afl now, he rejected an ais scholarship, to focus on footy

Reply #38722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wat happend to WAMs startin point gaurd from 16s grae grant, he held that team together

Reply #38724 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

even if mecanovic is playing for qld s they can't win it with two players not enough depth. There are also some bottom agers in there that you wouldnt call awesome. This Jadranko Jusufagic is massive. I predict he will be at the AIS soon enough he is alsost seven foot. He is not that good but hes very tall and muscular. Daneil Jacksone (WAM) said that he would quit basketball after under 16s. It is also said that he pulled out recently. Grae Grant was awesom i know.

Reply #38727 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

Yeh i had heard d.j. had quit for some reason but that may have just been for last year if he is now listed in the team, don't think they'll be as good as they were two years ago though. (name is daniel johnson, bruce, daniel jackson plays for nswc).
bballer, my bro went to that camp with jadranko jusufagic, and if i remember correctly i'm pretty sure he said he was massive but didnt have much game. not sure how he made the camp after never making a state side but you know what camps are like with picking the giants. But you never know now though, he may have improved a bit, coaches have probably put a lot of effort to making him good, we'll have to see how he goes.

Reply #38747 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

'MY BAD' daneil johnson. I agree even with him they would not be able to win it again NSWC or VIC M

Reply #38761 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

diddy, Bogut was in camp. As Isaac likes to say, you can't teach size!! (not for 5 pts who did he steal it from?)

Whats the deal with your brother next year? Rumour has it he's getting good NBL interest...

Reply #38777 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

big bad bruce - Bogut made an AIS camp without playing state, no?

Reply #38787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no, he played state. if not nationals, at least albury.

Reply #38792 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

bogut was not selected into the under 18 victoria metro squad he then was given a scholarship to Vic metro ITC. He improved through the year the later in the year after nationals he was recommended by the Vic ITC head coach that he should be invited to the All Australian camp. This camp was at the AIS. It was not a trail for the AIS even though he was selected after being scouted at the camp

Reply #38829 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

metro teams do not go to country cup in cup inn albury hence the name COUNTRY cup

Reply #38830 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Natoli is awesome he has grown and bulked up in the past year as well
End Quote

He is still the same size as in 16s, will not get bigger than he is now.

Still very good, but there will always be someone just as quick etc and bigger...

Reply #38833 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

no there is no one quicker or as quick as him actually. U should not be critising the best natoli Trex he is the best player in his age group and made vic met bottom age.

Reply #38911 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

his size is not an issue wiht the skills hes got

Reply #38912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the sa state boys will not do well they have missed out players that should be there sam he has be playing really bad the last few times i have see him rhino will do well west boys have to much ego

Reply #40019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well it seems that jackson was easily stopped and vic metro came out with the win so quit your whining p.s. zac natoli is huge

Reply #43574 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

ty alabakis is a really gr8 player...such great intensity!

Reply #66255 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i agree. ty is a an intense hard working player, and is virtually unstoppable when he's runnin hot. e.g vic metro

Reply #69784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

zac natoli is a solidly built gun of a player, took the Whitefriars school team all the way to Albury and they won the nationals there.

Reply #78131 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754