Tony Parker ahead of Kobe.

Reply #396984 | Report this post

frankiewapps  
Years ago

No Idea ^^^^

Reply #396986 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

How have you got Kobe Bryant (leading a HOF starting 5 to 15-17) ahead of James Harden who is leading a pretty bad roster to 20-14

Also, needs more Tim Duncan

Reply #396991 | Report this post

Thefoxhat  
Years ago

I don't think anyone would take Harden over any of my top 5 at this stage of the season, and as for Duncan who is having a steller year he is playing with a seriously deep team. He nor Parker are carrying them at all.
Ps. Kobe is lucky to make this list with his current standings.

Reply #396994 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Houston were projected to be a bottom 3 seed before the Harden trade. They were still projected to be a bottom 4 seed by just about everybody including myself. The fact they are even in the playoff hunt 34 games in a shock. James Harden is BALLING. If you have any doubt, watch their next game vs the lakers on wednesday.

Reply #396998 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Lebron is by far number 1.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/lebron_james/

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/carmelo_anthony/

Makes for good reading. Among so many other blatantly obvious stats on those profile pages, look at the difference in efficiency (+/- and FG).

Reply #397001 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Kobe in the Top 5 makes no sense to me IMO:

Kobe: 30.8ppg, 15-17 record
Harden: 26.4, 20-14 record

As Ingles said, if Harden is playing for a 'worse team' (on paper) and has a better winning record doing the SAME role that Kobe does for the Lakers, it would make sense that Harden is above him, but he isn't. Especially with the line-up of the Lakers.

Frankly putting Kobe into the Top 10 right now isn't worthwhile since his gameplay isn't actually effecting the team.

I would also move CP3 above Lebron right now. Lebron is a great player, but he has been stagnant for the past few seasons as far as his development goes and statistically his changes have been minimal.

Reply #397004 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Big Marty, how does development=output. James' output is superior to anyone else in the league. His output makes him the most valuable player to his team in the league. It is clear cut.

Reply #397008 | Report this post

Thefoxhat  
Years ago

No way Rockets will win Wednesday. I'm not a Lakers fan but just you watch.

Reply #397013 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Why not foxhat? The Rockets beat the Lakers only a few weeks ago.

The Lakers are still struggling big time and the Rockets are rolling right now.

Also Harden is most definately top 5. The Rockets are the youngest team in the league and he is leading them to the playoffs in the West. McHale should be in the convo for coach of the year as well.

Reply #397022 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I'd say James at this stage with, CP3 then KD.

Reply #397024 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Carmelo
4. CP3
5. Kobe

Melo has missed games and needs to keep this current rate up all season to potentially win it.

Lebron & Durant doing everything right with Lebron having the number 1 at this point in time.

CP3 is having a strong year and helping the whole team look good.

Kobe for being individual.

Tim Duncan as the smokey choice.

Reply #397025 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Spursfan, I completely agree with you that Lebron is arguably the best statistically in the league.

IMO I think the MVP should be awarded to players who are the best player on their team who have made the greatest impact to said team.

Miami is exactly the same as they were last year, their record isn't going to change much, and if they don't win a title this year, then they're essentially going backwards.

Guys like Paul, Harden, Melo have had blatant impacts on their team and their impact shows in the W/L column.

Would this ever translate into the real world? of course not; but that's just my take on why I'd move Lebron down.

Reply #397026 | Report this post

Thefoxhat  
Years ago

Kobe v Harden is a case of been there done that.
Kobe has consistently gotten the Lakers in the playoffs (with help).
Harden and the Rockets won't win over 45 games which is their current pace.
The wheels will come off at some stage.

Reply #397029 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

without harden, the rockets would be reminiscent of last year;s bobcats

Reply #397030 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Haha, Ingles what a stupid thing to say. Cool it down, even if things you say are correct, people will devalue it because of your username. Just take a step back for a couple days.

Reply #397036 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

You can't be MVP on a non contender seriously. If Harden is MVP then the Rockets should be challenging surely?

James is playing at about the same level as last year when he won MVP. Unless someone plays at a higher level, surely James gets it again (and I hate the guy).

Reply #397040 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Are you trying to say the rockets, without Harden, being led by CHANDLER PARSONS would be anything above a 14th seed? LOL, Harden is CARRYING that team to a very very respectable record. Don't care if people devalue my KNOWLEDGE. That's their fault for not listening to their superior intelligent ones.

I didn't say that Harden is the current MVP. He needs recognition, especially when a guy leading a HOF roster to a 15-17 record is getting recognition

Reply #397042 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Mate, Jeremy Lin is the second leader of the team.

Reply #397045 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

A Jeremy Lin lead team ain't going anywhere but to the top 5 of the lottery

Reply #397046 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Gallinariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Reply #397047 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

A Jeremy Lin led Knicks were 9-2 if I can recall (during the period of Linsanity)

Reply #397050 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Yeah, you're a troll...

Reply #397051 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Linsanity ended as soon as they started losing. You Can't not include the games where he got exposed like vs Miami and others.

Lol @ you thinking the rockets wouldn't be a bottom 3 seed with Lin leading the team

Reply #397053 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Kobe with a vintage MVP game. 26 attempts in a loss where the best player on his team grabs 26 boards, has 4 blocks, shoots over 85% and is one of only 3 lakers to have a positive plus/minus. YET KOBE ONLY LETS HIM SHOOT 7 TIMES TO KOBE'S 26 CHUCKS.

KOBE FOR MVP DOE. POINTS ARE EVERYTHING

Reply #397055 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

Lebron without question. Then Chris Paul...

Reply #397059 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Ingles13 for Most Volatile Poster

Reply #397062 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Ingles13 for most knowledgable poster*

Reply #397063 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

If you were knowledgeable, you would realise that 'Most Volatile Poster' abbreviates to MVP...which is the topic of this thread.

Reply #397066 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

THE REAL TOP 6 MVP CANDIDATES.

LBJ
CP3
KD
Harden
Duncan
Melo

Reply #397068 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I'm an NBA player now?

Reply #397069 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Hahahaha, wtf Ingles? Btw, you spelled knowledgeable wrong as well.

Reply #397072 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

you spelt intelligent wrong (by quite a bit too)

Reply #397073 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

I Ctrl + F'd the first four letters of that word (the simple ones that no one could get wrong, if you can follow) and the only other time that word is used in this thread is on one of your comments...

Reply #397075 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

1. LeBron James 26.6p (55%) 8.5r 6.5a
2. Kevin Durant 28.3p (52%) 7.8r 4.1a
3. Carmelo Anthony 29.3p (49%) 6.3r 2.2a
4. James Harden 26.4p (45%) 4.2r 5.3a
5. Chris Paul 17.0p (48%) 3.6r 9.3a

FYI: Kobe Bryant 30.5p (48%) 5.2r 4.7a

Lebron is the obvious #1. Best stats (and most efficient) on one of the best teams.
I agree with the James Harden call and his numbers back it up on a terrible roster (currently 6th in the stacked West).
I realise Kobe has the most points per game but people should look beyond that. He is leading the league in field goal attempts, averaging over 3 more than Lebron & Durant. Also, his team (which is loaded with talent) are losing more than they win. A great player, but not a top 5 MVP candidate this season in my opinion.

Reply #397079 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Ingles, you even spelled 'spelled‘ wrong. I just don't get it.

Reply #397089 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

spelt 2 (splt)
v.
A past tense and a past participle of spell1.

you can't be serious, you have to be a troll...

Reply #397112 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

It has weeded its way into the dictionary due to idiots like you talking colloquially. It's there so you people know what the hell people are on about. BTW, you do know dictionary.com is open to user generated content. You are an idiotic little boy. Honestly, I doubt you have much of an education either.

Reply #397118 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I'm not sure even what you're arguing at ^. Stay on the topic, troll.

Reply #397138 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

David Lee, great season so far. So consistent. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/david_lee/

Reply #397258 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

He has been good, and from the GSW games I've seen, his interior D has stepped up too. Maybe Bogut is teaching him a few things.

Reply #397261 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I'm not saying he's a chance, but he should definitely be considered.

Reply #397262 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

1. Paul
2. Anthony
3. Harden
4. James
5. Durrant
6. Duncan
7. Kobe
8. David Lee
9. Cousins
10. Love

That my top 10

Reply #397273 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

LeBron
Paul
Duncan
Durant
Melo

Reply #397275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the argument above about spelling and grammar is cringeworthy. Back to topic - Lebron MVP

Reply #397282 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Demarcus Cousins wouldn't even be in the top 20.

Reply #397293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha ingles on here again talking his rubbish as usual.

James harden in MVP talks? No way. His team is only 5 games above lakers and as a shooter harden scores less at a lower % and averages less rebounds than Kobe. So how do you sing the praises of him when he's a shooting guard that shoots a poorer % ingles? Doesn't make sense.

What about curry? Golden state have one of the best records against over .500 teams.

Yes I'm a Kobe and lakers fan and agree he shouldn't be considered due to record but his individual numbers are up there.

I still think Durant and Lebron are well ahead of the pack at the moment.

Reply #397295 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Big Marty, your logic doesn't quite make sense. What I think you're saying is that because Lebron and the Heat won it all last season his contribution this season is somehow invalid simply because he hasn't noticeably improved or turned around the fortunes of a struggling team?

That would pretty much rule out most of Jordan's MVP awards. Lebron could theoretically be playing worse than last season but still be the league MVP. If I went and played a season of miniball against 10 year olds on an 8 foot ring I'd probably be most dominant player in the league. If I stayed in this competition for a few season my 34 year old legs would get progressively less springy but I'd still be better than the 10 year olds and continue to be the MVP of the league even if I wasn't as dominant as I would be at the moment. (At least I think I'd be able to dominate 10 year olds, there's actually probably a few floating round that would be pretty good).

Reply #397348 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Billo, I'm not saying that Lebron's contributions are invalid at all. As I agreed to earlier with Spursfan, Lebron is statistically the best player in the league; and I'm not questioning that.

As I said before, IMO I think the MVP should be awarded to players who are both:

A) The best player on their team.
B) Their play that season has resulted in their being a better team in the W/L column.

If for example, John Wall had taken the Wizards from nothingness and at least got them over .500 by a fair margin on his own back; I'd consider him an MVP candidate. Even if the Wizards then dipped out in the 1st Round, so be it; but it would still be a fair case.

In the arguement about Lebron, I'm saying that the team is on par with where they were last season.

Lebron is statistically on par with the past few seasons. If Lebron ends up leading the Heat to a 72-10 style record (ala Jordan) and doesn't do anything else statistically, then I'll be the first one to say 'MVP'.

But if he's done nothing of note beyond his MVP season last year, I don't see the point of giving him an award for being 'his average self'.

In regards to the Championship comment, logic dictates:

Great W/L Record + Title = Great Season
Same W/L Record as last season + No Title = Not as good as last season.

As for your Jordan comment, you're right.

Jordan probably didn't deserve 'some' of his MVP awards; however several of them came off of season's where he was the DPOY, and won back-to-back-to-back and record setting W/L seasons. He didn't necessarily have to be statistically the best to warrant the award.

I suppose I treat the MVP title like the Most Improved Title; you rarely see players get the MIP twice, unless there's some real good (or odd) reason. I don't believe an MVP should be awarded to the same guy again if they haven't improved themselves or their team further (and yes, that goes to all MVP's from any team in history).

That's just my opinion.

Reply #397354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree Big Marty.

If you're the best player in the competition, no matter how your performance stacks up to your own potential, you win MVP, IMO.

I treat the most improved award like the most improved award, and the most valuable award like the most valuable.

Reply #397358 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Jordan deserved more! Voters gave it to Barkley and Malone because MJ was winning it every year and they didn't want it to get boring. At least he tore both of them a new one in the finals for winning the MVP instead of him (bit like Dream on Robinson that year).

If Lebron got it last year and performs the same, unless someone is having a better year, Lebron gets it. Much like Nash with his back to back.

Reply #397364 | Report this post

1. Durant
2. Paul
3. Lebron
4. Bryant
5. Anthony
6. Westbrook
7. Duncan
8. Rondo

Reply #397367 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

I agree with DB5 and Billo and respectfully disagree Big Marty.

Marty your criteria is as follows:

A) The best player on their team.
B) Their play that season has resulted in their being a better team in the W/L column.

For LeBron

A) Check

I don't think the criteria for B is dead on. I think it should be more along the lines of 'the effect they have on the W/L column.

For LeBron, Miami are certainly not anywhere near their current record with out him. Take him out of their side and they are not defending champions and are not favourites to win it this year. This highlights LeBron's MVP worthiness.

B) = significant impact on W?L column

I would also add for final criteria.

C) Their on-court statistical performance across the season. Just another factor that should receive (some) attention. = Outstanding statistical output.

Simply cannot penalise a guy for being his same old self when his same old self is, just casually, the best player on the planet.

Reply #397424 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Another vintage MVP performance from James Harden. Another great shooting night from Kobe bryant in a big loss to the ROCKETS

Reply #397640 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754