dogsandwolves
Years ago

will we every see gloves ?

wearing a glove has been proven scientifically to have many times more grip on a ball.

will we ever see them ? have they ever been trialled ? imagine the better ball control ? and less chance of the ball slipping through on a catch !

Topic #30478 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't shoot the ball with a glove and you have less feel for the ball.

Reply #397852 | Report this post

dogsandwolves  
Years ago

can get a variation on style of glove make - would be worth a try - AFL, baseball, NFL, soccer goalies all use them

Reply #397854 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No. The game is about fingertip control. Gloves would provide no benefit.

Only a minority of guys use them in the afl.

Will never happen in basketball.

Reply #397880 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

It was interesting to watch a social netball game recently where a number of players wore 1 or 2 gloves.
It made me wonder whether they were of actual benefit, or only in the players mind.

Reply #397883 | Report this post

dogsandwolves  
Years ago

been scientifically proven that resistance / grip if improved multiple times with the right glove.

Imagine the better handle for the pg.

Reply #397887 | Report this post

locationlocation  
Years ago

Were the netball players female? Wouldn't be wearing them for any other reason than not wanting to cut their fingernails.

Reply #397892 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anyone who has played basketball with some form of thumb bandage or something covering their hand/fingers knows how frustrating it is to play with.

Gloves don't work for basketball because you don't catch a ball for possession with a purpose of running through guys to score.

Hoops is a skill game and every player needs to feel the ball on their fingers to shoot it, no matter if it is outside the key or under the basket, gloves will no work...

Having said that, if they can invent a wafer thin latex style glove that is fingerless just for the first joint and possess extra grip for the remainder of the hand and fingers without obstructing the touch while shooting, then I guess with invention comes possibility...

Reply #397895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grip is important to a point but too much grip impacts shooting technique, so a glove could be a dissadvantage too.

Played and Coached most levels and can honestly say in 40 years i have never seen gripping the ball as an issue.

Reply #397896 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I agree Anon, the ball release is too important and any artificial stickiness will interfere with a smooth ball release and the stroke of the shooter, IMO..!

Hard enough to keep your rhythm without tampering with the grip and ball release I would think...

Reply #397897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players complain from one ball to the next, some balls being too grippy so a glove would make it a nightmare to get "feel" and shooting "touch".

Reply #397906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have seen coaches at trainings get the players to wear gloves to work on their dribbling skills as it makes the ball harder to grip and you have less feel for the ball making it harder to control. I'm talking about the wollen gloves. Do basic ball handling drills for 5 mins with the gloves on then do the same dribbling exercises with the gloves off and you will notice the difference.
By far the best way to improve your dribbling skills!!!!

Reply #397942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best way to improve your ball handling skills is just stick to basics and work work work, has nothing to do with stupid fads like gloves, plenty of the best ball handlers in the world honed their craft without needing bloody gloves..

Reply #397948 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

If you can get an advantage by using different training aids to improve your skills then why not use them. Whena pair of wollen gloves cost only $2-$3.
'Anon' not sure where all your hate towards using different training aids to improve your game comes from????
They are a perfect tool for kids to use to improve their ball handling skills espically in warm up exercises.
MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO TRY THEM BEFORE MAKING A OPINION ON THEM!!

Reply #397955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like the kids we see out at district with shooting sleeves, when the sleeve was introduced for the Bejing Olympics to cover tattoos, not to keep their arms warm.

Reply #397956 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

shooting sleaves are not a training aid!! They are only to help with keeping your arm warm and for injuries etc!!

Reply #397958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baller the sleeve was invented to cover tattoo's prue and simple. nothing to do with injuries and keeping your arm warm. some may think it aids them shooting by keeping their arms warm but it is in the rule book purely and simply to cover tattoos - ask FIBA

Reply #397960 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Who cares what the official FIBA rule says about shooting sleaves!!
Do you realy think that NBA players wear shooting sleaves to cover up their tattoos?????
What a joke!!!

Reply #397979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Baller It is not a joke, Some players may have offensive tattoos that need to be covered up.

Evidence: http://www.livestrong.com/article/445711-what-is-the-meaning-of-a-basketball-arm-sleeve/

Reply #398005 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

how many players do you look at and go

" ah man , if only he could grip the ball better he would go pro/ to the next level "

never

next you will be telling us we should be wearing magnets on our wrists.

heres an idea, you want to be good at something work harder.

and if your blessed with the right genes to match with that work ethic you'll get somewhere.

Reply #398026 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Phil, I've heard many players criticised for having butterfingers, hard hands, etc.

Wonder if, in the past, people rubbished the idea of tough AFL players stooping to gloves? We could well see very thin tactile gloves in basketball one day, as ridiculous as it might sound now.

Reply #398068 | Report this post

ichiro mizuno  
Years ago

i think this is very good idea, me and my mates often always wear some very thin and tight underArmour batting gloves for hooping. in my opinion it really works, and they protect your hands well. most important that they are very thin and tactile like a second skin, like isaac said. as for grip, smooth leather is best, not too grippy, just right and similar to naked grip.

in the future, they could be based on a thin batting glove model - modified golf gloves would also work.

i suggest that those who are sceptical try UA batting gloves for the next game (the "cleanup" model ist best) - you will love them.

Reply #412423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754