Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets

Is there any chance at all that they can return next season? Surely there must be someone out there that can get the ball rolling. Can the state government help? If I were the bidders, I would approach multiple businesses daily to look for equity partners. Surely something can be done?

Topic #30485 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Alcohol is great this time of night!!

Reply #397991 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, search the forum. So many past threads already about this.

Reply #398006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NONE.

Reply #398030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

zero.

what up Leeroy.

Reply #398034 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Dont hold your breathe. No one wants to pull money out of their pockets for an NBL side in brisbane. If the NBL had a similar business model to all other major sports, you will find a a different story. businesses dont want to simply lose money each year. The basketball business model is extremely risky.

For those that dont know keep an eye on Perth in a few years time. we will see how healthy they are financially.

Reply #398073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not having a go but isn't all private investment in sport risky? People are burning thru money in the A-league and investors still sign up there.

I thought the current NBL business model is suited to minimising losses relative to other Australian sport leages.

Reply #398075 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^good point

Reply #398089 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Anon, sorry mate but your wrong. yeh all sport investments arent really investments at all but with most other sports in australia, you receive $$$ from the governing body. the pie is shared, put it this way, i put my $3mill which is needed for the bullets and then i have to pay for the salaries of players and everyone. its up to me to make the business model work with venue, ticketing, merchandise, sponsorship etc. the reality is i will be bleeding money each and every year in the turn of $1m plus and i aint going to do this. The league doesnt put a cent into the nbl franchises.

I am in the process of buying some clubs which i would like to turn into a sport/community club and then i might be in a position to where that can fund an NBL team in brisbane or if the league want to share some funds from the TV rights then i will be interested.

Reply #398107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You might receive $$ form the governing body but in most clubs the expenses far exceed that of running an NBL club. There is a lot more help setting up in other sports and in the running but the risk of big losses long term is also greater in many of them.

Reply #398108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So sitiveni, are you saying that the Bullets are likely to not be back in the near future, if at all? And you are saying Perth will not survive?

Reply #398117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league is really in trouble then. The longer there is no team in Brisbane the worse off the NBL will be. If one other team was to fold in the near future then the league is gone. It is already boring with just 8 teams competing. Hard to believe the Bullets averaged more than 9,000 Fans per game in 1991 and had large sponsership deals with XXXX and Fosters in the last 80's and early 90's which were the envy of other sports.

Reply #398118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 9000 crowds you speak of were high because of all the freebies that were always given at Bullets games in those days.

Reply #398136 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Yep im saying no bullets or sorry brisbane team for sometime yet. With regards to perth. i will keep what i know to myself because knowing someone from here, they will copy and paste what i say and send to Chuck which will be passed onto Perth and they can put two and two together and know who i am.

Put it this way, dont be surprised if Vlahov and Longley become owners again or they become a community model team.

The League needs to share the pie. even $500k each year towards the salary cap would make things happen so much easier and im confident us getting $3m in the bank will happen overnight

Reply #398166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you have obviously discussed this with Kenneally and crew? They must want Brisbane back too?

Reply #398167 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Anon, look who is behind the brisbane bid team. if you dont know then go do your research. here ill tell you. its BQ, BA and a private equity firm who wants to be nameless. this is the first time BQ and BA have got behind it, but i cant tell you how much involvement or support BQ and BA have given or are involved.

I believe BBALL in australia is heading in the right direction with the discussions ive had, but we are coming back from the scrap heap really so its going to take time.

Reply #398169 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

So is there a chance for 2014/15 season?

Reply #398187 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I believe BBALL in australia is heading in the right direction with the discussions ive had, but we are coming back from the scrap heap really so its going to take time."

Now youve got to the crux of it, it's a long climb. Where Perth go will depend on how much the bums on seats they are now generating turns into commercial support.

Reply #398200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Perth be in trouble? They are averaging over 11,000 people per game at Perth Arena. From what I am reading, it is suggesting that Jack Bendat will sell the club. Why would an 86 year old man, that loves the club do that?

Reply #398265 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

Im not saying they r in trouble what I said was don't be surprised if new owners r sort soon. But then all u know everything because u speak to all the owners on a regular basis. I wouldn't put a timeline on it. It could be 5 years before a Brisbane team comes in.

Reply #398303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not suggesting I know everything at all. Just asking the question why an 86 yr old multimillionaire would sell a club he loves?

Reply #398312 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

Ask him, he told me

Reply #398360 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bendat burned a lot of money turning the Wildcats around and his stated goal is leaving them as a self-sufficient club.

They have made strides from what I can tell but they need the big crowds they are now getting to deliver big commercial contracts to get them ahead of the game.

If you are relying on each year's financial performance that isnt an overly secure position if something unforeseen happens and the league cant bail you out. I dont think Bendat wants to leave the club in that position.

Perth is certainly a place that could do a very good community model given the level of support.

Reply #398367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yay for Sitiveni - savior of the NBL who knows everything and everyone

Hey how'd you go with the Blaze when you asked for their contact numbers as you had $ to invest?

Reply #398371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sitiveni, I appreciate your feedback and was not being rude, just asking the question. I guess Bendat at 86 won't be around for too much longer anyway. Bless the old boy for what he has done for Perth.

Reply #398384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to add, I remember way before the Wildcats moved to Perth Arena, an interview with Jack and he said he can't wait to see 10,000 people at each game. You could hear the media interviewers snickering and quietly laughing. Even I admit, I had a quiet smile. Now they are averaging over 11,000 per game and have over 8,000 members. I guess it proves anything is possible

Reply #398385 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Yeh and if i put money into the blaze i would be out of pocket. the ship was already sunk once i spoke to Bill.

Wildcats could be averaging 50,000 crowds, you dont know what financial position people are in or other committments outside of bball.

Anon what have you done to improve basketball in australia. at least i have put money into sponsoring at all levels, at least im trying to get a team back into brisbane. where ever you are, come to brisbane, ill introduce you to the other board members and you can see for yourself the details and challenges not just we face in brisbane with our Shitty economy here but other franchises and the league itself.

i got to admit, i thought it was in a much better shape until we have gone through this journey and key stake holders have opened up to us. shown us the books.

Reply #398445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really appreciate reading this mate, best of luck with it all!

Reply #398449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you spoke to Bill?

As in Bill at the Blaze? Sorry but there is/was no Bill at the Blaze!

Reply #398460 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think 'Bill' is William Robson who was the Blaze's administrator.

Reply #398462 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754