Mick
Years ago

Breakers @ Crocs, Fri 11 Jan

Crocs are without Jacob Holmes, but Hinder has stepped up big time since he went down.

Ervin generally gets the better of Cedric Jackson, but the Breakers are soooo much deeper than the Crocs at every position.

This will be Townsville's first test against a top four side since their five game win streak began, while the Breakers are on a winning tear of their own right now.

If the Breakers can take advantage of the Crocs' rotations, they can wrap this one up in the first half. The key to beating Townsville is piling on the points when their absolutely atrocious second unit comes on the floor, and putting the game out of reach in those couple of minutes while their starters rest.

Townsville win if they get "over and above" production from one or more of their role players; New Zealand win if they play a half-decent game and no one from Townsville steps up except for the usual leaders (ie. Ervin and Nevill).

Interesting stat: Ben Allen has averaged just 3 minutes per game and 0.6 ppg on the Crocodiles winning streak, compared to closer to 20 mpg on their ten game losing streak. So if you can force the Crocs to play him you have a pretty good chance of beating them.

Topic #30488 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

This game should be a lot closer than the last game but I expect the result to go the same way. Breakers by 8.

Reply #398049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ervin generally gets the better of Cedric Jackson"

Watch the replay of their last game and I thikn you will change your mind.

Reply #398051 | Report this post

Years ago

Breakers easy, just! As good as they are and on top, i just got that feeling this season only jackson can make them win a championship. Last year they had wilkinson and i think that he and cj got them that title! But, yea crocs beat adelaide 4 times in that 5 n 0 run, if they beat breakers then there back! If not then just a gd boost for the club not havin a donut and being a respectable unit!

Reply #398052 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

The Ben Allen stat you give is because the Croc's bought in Neville.

Reply #398059 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers haven't been playing great offensively all season, their D is getting them over the line.
That's not to say thay can't get some rhythm going at the business end of the season and get their shots to drop.

Reply #398060 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Triton, also because he has done nothing in the eyes of the coaches to earn court time. Down Holmes, if he wasn't so out of favour, he'd get time.

Reply #398066 | Report this post

G Rudd  
Years ago

Ben Ellen is useless. He may train good but that's it. He shoots the ball up too quick instead of passing, turns the ball over or fouls. We have won the games where he has had little or no input. Crocs in an upset tonight by 1 .

Reply #398070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this game is completely on NZ's racquet, so to speak. Biggest danger to them tonight is themselves - ie sleep walking against an opponent they've already beaten three times this season.

Fair amount of travel for the breakers of late too.

Reply #398083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I subscribe to the playoff revenge theory. Crocs defensive style will keep the Breakers from doing a lot of the things they like doing. Shooting layups and open 3s.

Should be a great game with the crocs keeping it very close or even getting the win.

Reply #398106 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Is this the game on free to air?
Should be good!

Reply #398115 | Report this post

Since the Crocs have only beaten 2 teams on their winning streak and 4 of the wins were against Adelaide and the other against Melbourne, I'm pretty sure the Breakers will win this one easy!

Reply #398146 | Report this post

G Rudd  
Years ago

We lost a couple of games in overtime this season and close in others . I think we are looking good for an upset.

Reply #398157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like the lazy breakers have turned up to townsville

Reply #398170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too easy for townsville, six in a row

Reply #398174 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Bet they wish Holmes was ok. Crocs trailing the rebound count 14-38 atm. Not a typo. Pretty amazing that they're ahead given that discrepency.

Reply #398181 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

LOL at the TSV Croc dressed as a sheep acting comely.

Reply #398183 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Perhaps put a spoiler alert on this!!

Whay a second half, first Leon Henry and the two late 3 balls, then Cedric takes over with steals and Abercrombie comes up big!! No lead is safe against the Breakers! YEAH WHITE!!

Reply #398186 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

PC you muppet. How is it possible that a guard can have a handle / eye for passing THAT bad?

Ervin and Nevill are absolute pros. They shouldnt have to put up with that sort of nonsense.

A completely unloseable game.

Breakers are a class act; but you can't give them too much credit tonight. They played terribly and just applied slight pressure in the final minutes and watched the non-nevill/Ervin portion of the crocs piss their pants.

Pretty embarrassing to end a winning streak. I give Norton a pass for choking down the stretch because he's a rookie, but PC should feel ashamed of himself.

Should be 6-10 and making an outside push for the playoffs.

Reply #398189 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Fair points Mick- totally on the money about Ervin and Nevill, they are standouts, it seems that the Crocs are just missing one player (not Holmes) explosive mid size (a 3/4 type) player to compliment Gary and Luke!

Reply #398190 | Report this post

disappointed  
Years ago

Good point Mick, Ben Allen is useless. Inexcusable sloppy play from the crocs down the stretch. Hard to watch. Didn't even look like the same team after the half.

On a side note.

Thanks, to the wanker cop giving out parking tickets at the game. Have parked there for nearly 20 years with no tickets. blatant revenue raising. How about catching real criminals. hope everyone who got stung shows up in court.

Reply #398193 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rebound count was 18-44! High boards for the home team was Nevill with just four!

Edit: @nblfacts says it's the lowest rebound total for a team in 22-23 years.

Reply #398206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fark me... how did we lose that?

PC has done that twice now - almost lost us the game vs Melb in the same fashion with Greer getting a steal. And Woolpert with another horrendous out of bounds play in the crunch!

BTW what was doing with his subbing???

Reply #398230 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers showing their composure to get the W on the road. Thats 4 road wins in a row. Jackson agonizingly close on another Triple Double with 10 points 10 rebounds 8 assists 3 steals and both Breaker Bigs almost getting Double Doubles (Hudson 10points 8rebounds, Pledger 10points 9rebounds).

Crocs got 16 defensive rebounds, prob was that the Breakers got 17 offensive boards. Final rebound count was 44-18 to NZ, never gonna win games if you can't compete for rebounds but for your opposition to almost get more O boards than all your boards combined is shocking.

Reply #398237 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Absolutely. Big Nevill needs to put his hand up, three defensive rebounds in 34mins while Pledger and Hudson grabbed eight offensive rebounds in 40mins. Ouch!

Reply #398245 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bet Woolpert wishes he got Ervin and Neville in the offseason, would prob be in the top 4.

Reply #398246 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

lol at the commentator calling Leon Henry Corin Henry the entire game

Reply #398247 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im sure Woolpert does wish that, but Nevill was at Indiana and Ervin with Zadar. That makes it tough!

Reply #398248 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If the NBL recorded rebounding statistics like the NBA does, Townsville would have registered a few more (ie. tap outs to a specific player - rebound goes to the tapper, tap out to no one in particular - rebound goes to the guy who secures the ball after the tap out).

Rebounding wasn't the problem though -- we have won five in a row while being significantly outrebounded -- it was weak turnovers in the halfcourt in crunchtime by PC and Norton that cost us the game.

Townsville will never get blowout wins with this roster, because the bench can't score or play defense, that's why it is so important to finish off games.

Reply #398249 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mick, NZ took 13 more shots than you meaning you lost shooting 54%. Of course rebounding was the issue!

Reply #398252 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I disagree Paul.

Townsville was in control and NZ turned up the pressure and forced turnovers from PC and Norton that they then turned into big buckets on the other end.

Obviously rebounding better would have helped build a bigger lead in the first place, but it wasn't what ultimately costed us the game.

We would have won, even with the bad rebounding, if Norton and PC didn't turn the ball over so readily in crunch time.

Reply #398253 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I hear what you were saying, but had Townsville been rebounding the ball New Zealand wouldnt have been close enough to make that run.

Reply #398255 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Absolutely.

Rebounding is their biggest problem this season, along with poor shot selection. Take care of the boards early and you put this game out of reach in the second quarter. Unfortunately the Crocs are so shallow that the starters get worn out, which affects effort areas like rebounding. On top of that: our best rebounder when Holmes is out is a 5'8" point guard named Gary Ervin. Not an ideal situation.

Shot selection was fine in this game (having no Holmes helps the poor shot selection but obviously is terrible for the rebounding count), and Nevill isn't a great rebounder for his size.

This was a big game to drop though, would have put the Crocs in fifth spot.

Can't wait for next year with no dregs and no Ben Allen...

Reply #398258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if we rebounded better, we wouldnt have put ourselves in a situation that meant those turnovers were so crucial

Reply #398259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IF IF IF Holmes had been playing and got, let's say, 8 rebounds, that would be 26 for us and would also mean they would have 8 less; 36... we win by abput 15! we wouldnt have given them a sniff!

we fed their confidence and belief

Reply #398260 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree Mick, big loss from such a great position, would have been within 2.5 games of Wollongong.

Nevill can rebound, he needs to put his mind to it more, he got his hat handed to him on the boards last night. And that was a good learning experience for Norton, NZ have world class experience and he;ll be better for last night.

Reply #398261 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Blanchfield looked good early but then what happened?
I went to bed in the 3rd as it was pretty ugly to watch and I figured if I stayed up we'd lose and if I missed it we'd win.

Reply #398262 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Blanchfield doesn't have a killer instinct, Mystro.

I've still never seen him ATTACK the rim at full speed / with his full jumping potential in the NBL.

As good as he gets (and he is playing insanely efficiently this year), he will never be a guy who takes over games.

Reply #398264 | Report this post

Wildcats  
Years ago

Lucky lucky lucky nz!!! There luck will run out soon!! They drop the close ones and thats the difference with them and adelaide, swith the results and could be the breakers be near the bottom. Ervin is in MVP form!!!

Reply #398279 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The pathetic finish aside, that was probably the most "watchable" game I've seen this season.

Some strange officiating, but lots of dunks and fastbreaks all game long.

Reply #398281 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Mick. Blanchfield has come on in leaps and bounds. So what is the killer instinct and who in your "expert" opinion has it? Your willingness to sit in judgenment
on all things Crocs is a little infuriating.
"Blanchfield is a much improved player with huge upside, just needs to find that little extra and he could be a star" maybe that kind of comment might make your posts a little more bearable.

Reply #398283 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Lucky? You make your own luck on a basketball court unless the ref is your Mum and that def wasn't the case in Townsville last night. NZ know how to close out tight games and have guys who perform under pressure.

if we all close our eyes and live in a dream world we can switch the results around and Perth could be back 2 back champions sitting on top of the table @ what? 13-3?
if we keep switching them round I wonder if we can find a scenario where Adelaide haven't lined up another wooden spoon despite securing a decent squad on paper.

Reply #398285 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I believe Ben Madgen has the instinct that Mick is referring to Anon. didn't see him (Blanchfield) putting his hand up when the game was on the line (just watched a replay)?

Reply #398288 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Blanchfield is a guy who takes what he gets rather than imposing himself on the game. But he is the third youngest player in the league, give him some time, he is progressing exceptionally well.

Reply #398289 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It goes both ways: Blanchfield is super efficient right now by taking what he gets and not forcing the issue. Shoots the ball at a great clip and is really consistent. He doesn't have bad games and gets his numbers every night, and his defensive game is getting better with every round. If he was going to be more of a go-to guy, his efficiency would dip with the higher useage rate. I almost want him to take a few more risks, as strange as it sounds, and sacrifice a tiny bit of that efficiency short-term for rhythm and growth, especially this year when the Crocs are not really in contention.

As mentioned above, he is the third youngest player in the league, has physical tools only a few Australian basketball players possess, and is already producing some fantastic basketball for a 21 year old.

Would be good to see him put in a bit more work in the weight room and relish contact and the attacking game a little more. Open up your stride further when you run. When you beat your man, sprint at the basket, don't lull towards it. And when you launch, leave nothing in your knees, jump through the roof. And when you throw it down, throw it down hard young fella. Make the help defense think twice about even contesting it the next time around.

If something is working, go back to it again and again son until someone stops you. And if they stop you? Go even harder and higher the next time, because there are few guys in this league that can stop a 6'7" wing with a deadly outside shot and outstanding athleticism.

He will get there soon -- a bit more work on his ballhandling and strength should allow him to move faster with the ball and the rest will be history.

Reply #398296 | Report this post

Years ago

Actualy mystro yea, if we had redhage or an import like dunigan instead that dud in brown i think perth wouldve gone back 2 back! This yr if they meet again, there aint no three peat! Perth play with 1 import u got half tall black team + 2 imports! :)

Reply #398305 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There wasn't going to be a repeat last season either! lol stop trolling mate!

Reply #398308 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

omg the Breakers are cheating, they have players who play for their national team playing for them plus 2 American Imports!!! Call the league office and schedule a sit down with Oprah. Make all the excuses you like, the banners hang in the NSEC.

Perth are a great side and if they both make the finals it will be a great series again. Home court will be important and hopefully injuries won't play a part in deciding who comes out on top.
NZ are in a great position to 3peat but it certainly won't be easy. They will certainly need to shoot better than they have been and look after the ball better than they have been but I think they'll continue to improve leading up to the Playoffs.

Reply #398311 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ ...

Discrediting the Breakers on that note is like me as a Crocs fan saying "if Townsville didn't recruit horribly in the offseason and only have one import we would be a much better team and therefore every time a team beats them they should have an asterisk next to the 'W'".

Get a clue mate.

Reply #398323 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:12 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754