Bulldog
Years ago

Miami fan sues Spurs

Well we all know San Antonio got fined by the NBA for resting half the team for their trip to Miami, but now a fan is suing the Spurs.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8847216/san-antonio-spurs-sued-lawyer-resting-top-players

Topic #30548 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

The fact that the NBA fined the SPURS over the resting of star players and that the lawyer in this case is focusing on the difference between a premium ticket compared to the price of a standard ticket means he may in fact have a case...

OMG, only in America!!!

Reply #399282 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Is this serial?

Reply #399283 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

But who promised the fans a better team for a higher price? Surely he should be suing Miami if anyone.

Reply #399284 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Miami should ban him from future games for being a tool.

Reply #399286 | Report this post

Mr36er  
Years ago

just another reason to dislike the Miami Heat and there mindless fans

Reply #399288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I sue Clarke and Radford for being Clarke and Radford... they bench the best players at all the wrong times every game haha

Reply #399290 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I watched the ESPN video.

Apparently, the lawyer is suing on behalf of all the affected spectators.

Sounds like he is suing for the difference in price between a 'premium seating game' option and a normal one.

So if 20,000 people were affected, and the difference in prices was $10, you're looking at $200,000.

You can see why the lawyer is doing it. If he takes $2 out of every $10, then he could stand to make $40,000.

IMO, it is damn stupid. Some people expect everything, and when things don't go their way, its straight to litigation *sigh*

Reply #399291 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I saw a game in Portland 1986 where Clyde Drexler was the man. Had he not played & was rested i'd have been spewing. Michael Jordan missed very few games knowing the crowd was there to see him.

If anything this will set a precedent where coaches will have to be craftier & tell better lies to do this. Expect players who need a rest to all of a sudden have strange short term injuries or personal issues.

Reply #399292 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Thread needs 'don't sue people panda' references.

Reply #399295 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Miami should ban him from future games for being a tool.

QFT.

Reply #399300 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I don't agree in suing but who goes to a game to see a B team. The Australian Cricket team did the same thing, if I had paid for a ticket I would have been pissed they drop Hussey for no reason, rest 3 players and you watch a B team lose.....

Reply #399303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"for no reason"? There's always a reason.

Reply #399307 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Jordan played due to competitive spirit...

Reply #399316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree: tool.

He paid to see Spurs vs Miami and that's what he saw. Turned out to be a great game too.

Reply #399319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In cricket, Adelaide = rest star players

I don't see a problem with resting players, and it probably makes sense to rest them all at once. Injuries too can mean that you come with a B-team.

But isn't it fair that if it is the B-team that ends up playing, that spectators should get a refund on a % of the ticket price? B-team prices for B-team players?

Reply #399323 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

No not fair. It's the resale value. Not original ticket. His grief should be with people who sold him a ticket priced aboved it's RRP... He should have season tickets if he doesn't want to pay more money and risk seeing players missing. Simple

Reply #399343 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But isn't it fair that if it is the B-team that ends up playing, that spectators should get a refund on a % of the ticket price? B-team prices for B-team players?
No. That's the risk you take.

Reply #399344 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

So where do you draw the line before you can say that you've been dudded?

I remember being really peed off when the Greek team came here and played the Boomers recently. It sure wasn't the quality of opposition I expected, but at least I got to see the Boomers and I saw some good basketball.

So, if a stud like Carmelo breaks a leg and can't play, does this give fans the right to ask for their money back? How about when someone less famous like Splitter is injured? what if LeBron isn't playing because of a niggle and it's shown as a DNP - coach's decision?

Or should 6er fans get their money back when their full squad plays but still doesn't play well? (I just HAD to throw that one in there.)

You win some, you lose some. Unless you've really been taken to the cleaners by the promoters, just put up with it. Sometimes you're lucky & sometimes you're not.

I hope we never become such an intolerant society that we always have to find someone to blame whenever something happens that we don't like. GHU

Reply #399366 | Report this post

Juno70  
Years ago

Where do you draw the line? When the regulator of the competition in this case the NBA fines the club $250k for their action of resting so many players. If that deserves a penalty then shouldn't the victims of that action receive the compensation in this case the punters who bought tickets for themselves and their family. If you went to a play and half the star cast was replaced with understudies all on the same night, that aint a risk thats a case for compensation.

Its very poor treatment of the fans and the game. Does any one think that the Spurs would have done the same thing for a home game?

Reply #399373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Pops would sit players without a second thought for a home game if he thought it would benefit his team. (Probably has done.)

It's a bit much calling a fan a 'victim' because some players didn't appear. They still got to see a great game, and isn't that what you pay for? You go to any game knowing that some players might not appear because of injury, suspension, whatever. Yes this was an extreme example but you still know it can happen. If you can't understand or accept that don't go to the games.

Agree with hoopie about drawing the line. What if a player is injured and almost ready to come back, and the coach says well he could play but I'm going to rest him one more game just in case. Do you get to sue the team then?

Reply #399375 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Typical American lawyer...always looking for a reason to sue. Lets just hope our legal system doesn't get that bad! What a joke.

Reply #399379 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

From memory the Spurs 'B' team almost won the game...

Would be a different story (no story) if they got up I reckon?

Reply #399396 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Juno70 spot on! Use the 250 k from NBA fine to reimburse unhappy fans $5 each. Case closed!!

Reply #399426 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754