Vodka 71
Years ago

Southern Cross Challenge

The SCC kiks off tomorrow in Ballarat. This tournament looks like a "mini Nationals" with lots of States (Metro & Country) involved. looks like four days of great hoops!

Topic #30572 | Report this topic

Years ago

Draw / resultslink?

Reply #399601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

www.cv.basketball.net.au

Vic Metro teams hard to beat, although SA Metro could challenge. U/14 & U/15 age group
Vic Country
Vic Metro
SA Metro
SA Country
WA Metro
WA Country
ACT
Not a bad field! NSW & Tasmania to attend in 2014.

Reply #399617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given increased drop out rates after 16's with a strong burn out rate especially those in elite program's it's time to cut these carnivals back not increase them.

Reply #399619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ Try telling that to the kids/parents. See what they say to you if you suggest that :)

Reply #399623 | Report this post

Years ago

So an u14 could have this - eltham / dandenong - easter - state champs - classics - u14 nationals - that is a full calendar. Having said that there are a lot more activities that will ask more. In fact we loved the basketball tournaments with the kids and made it a real memorable family trip.

Reply #399627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way too much, we had planned not to let our child play, changed our mind and now really regret it.

Reply #399922 | Report this post

Dr J  
Years ago

The tournaments are great. It's more than playing basketball. We are all making lifetime acquaintances. . If you think there are too many, get your kid into junior tennis. Psycho parents getting their kids playing almost every day of their holidays, and when they're not playing, training up to 3 hours per day. A bit much for a 9 year old me thinks. Basketball does need to get the kids into squads earlier though or will loose far more kids to other sports that are. Just recognise the kiids earlier and let them and their parents know that basketball wants them.

Reply #400296 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

the issue isnt the amount of tournaments/carnivals held but rather the poor preparation and nutrition advice/infomation at the early ages, im over seeing kids hauling into maccas or KFC or something after games, and not hydrating enough etc....

Ive been playing 4 nights and week plus reffing and coaching since i was 14 (im 22 now), ive had one major injury ever (part work related) and i put it down to preparing and recovering from games correctly

Reply #400453 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

Top 4

BOYS u15

Vic Met 1
Vic Met 2
SA Country (draw)
WA Met (draw)

GIRLS u15

Vic Met 1
SA Country
Vic Met 2
Vic Country 1

Didnt see many u14 games.
Only thing that disappointed me was both Gold medal games in u15's were played on court 3 & 4.

Quality basketball, venue was ok and overall tournament was run well.

Reply #400509 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

U15 results interesting with SA metro not making top 4 in either ! Surely metro should finish ahead of vic country ? were they taking it seriously ?SA country results inflated by only sending one team and I saw a lot of familiar faces in SA country girls , I would guess majority were playing metro last season, plenty of mavs, lions and tigers kids there

Reply #400862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce the population of the country area in S.A is not that vast, so as far as the inflate, you could also say your choice of kids through larger population inflates city choices and chances of better teams. W.A only sent one Metro and Country team, as did A.C.T, so with your figuring, they should have also been more advantaged by not having two teams, but didn't get into the top two on either side of the pools. Credit where credit is due I say..
The reason there were plenty of Mav's, Lions and Tigers in the teams I heard, is because they are kids that come from country areas, and play country and metro as well. WELL DONE S.A Country Girls you should all be proud of what you accomplished in Ballerat.

Reply #401607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lions had lots of kids in the boys metro U14 and U15 groups too. Something like a quarter of them were from the Lions.

Never thought I'd see the day!

Reply #401612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro population 1.1 Million

SA Rural population 500 000

SAC having 1 team puts them on equal footing with Metro

Reply #401615 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754