SamCro
Years ago

Tess Madgen / Bendigo to Bulleen - Good Move?

It appears that Tess Madgen has gone from Chocolates to Boiled Lollies with her move from Bendigo to Bulleen. Bendigo have gone from strength to strength & Bulleen have failed to meet expectations in 2012/2013! The point guard experiment of Tess has also failed miserably IMO. What are other people's thoughts?

Topic #30589 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is a very good athlete, very strong but these alone dont make a point guard. Amazing how long she was tolerated making mistake after mistake to the demise of the team eventually.

Reply #399816 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

From what I've seen she was never a point guard. All she has been doing is bringing the ball up court and trying to score. In my opinion she actually takes her team out of the game as opposed to facilitating the offence.

Having said that when she plays well its an amazing thing to watch. I think Tom Maher is completely the wrong coach for her, and being thrown in at the deep end at Bulleen from day one is a bit much. Might be worth going through a full per season with Bullen and making a call after that to determine if she should play the 1 or 2 spot.

Reply #399818 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect the idea was to develop her point guard skills to give her a better chance of playing for Australia?

Maybe it was worth a try, I havent seen a heap of Bulleen games, but really she is a two guard who can handle the ball well. I think she prob should have been brought on in short spells at PG while keeping her confidence from the majority of minutes at SG.

She is still young though, it's not disastrous.

Reply #399826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Tess could talk to David Barlow about playing point guard?

Reply #399877 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Failed Miserably is a harsh statement considering she is playing her first year in th PG position and has played some really good games. Bulleen have been dissapointing as a team and players like Jarry, Elyse & Kunek have all been dissapointing, not just Madgen. Australia have no other young PG's coming through, It may prove a disaster in future World Champs and Olympics. It will be McLeod for the next 3 years or so I guess.

Reply #399902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's playing out of position because of injuries to the team, not as an experiment. It hasn't been a success either but that's not really Tess's fault, Some of their big name players look like they're more interested in been seen at all the posh nigh clubs than working hard as athletes.

Reply #399910 | Report this post

Jax  
Years ago

^Yeah i agree with above post. Jarry has been a major disappointment this year! Coming off the back of the Olympics this really should have been her time to shine in this WNBL season. Obvioulsy now Cambage or Richards this year has hurt Bulleen's chances considerably.

Reply #399914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO - Tess should and could have gone to a good college stateside - but it's her choice and if she didnt want that - so be it.

Some top level colleges have offered some damn good opportunities recently to aussies and having a bit more life experience I often wonder how many will revisit this once in a lifetime decision later in years.

anyway just my opinion

Reply #399920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tess is a future opal and a star - she has a huge work rate and can get it done. bulleens results have been a bit under par - but so many times very competitive most of the game and then they fall off.

Reply #399921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's hot too!

Reply #399923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tess is a wonerful athlete/Player

This season for her has been a little unfortunate but not deliberate by her or the coaching staff, and was bought on due to injuries to their point guards.

I think however it will prove to be a great distraction for and aid in a more rounded Tess when she is back in the 2.

Reply #399937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tess is a wonerful athlete/Player

This season for her has been a little unfortunate but not deliberate by her or the coaching staff, and was bought on due to injuries to their point guards.

I think however it will prove to be a great distraction for and aid in a more rounded Tess when she is back in the 2.

Reply #399938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tes is a great athlete but that's not enough.
I saw a lot of her games for Maavs last season and while Mavs and Bulleen are poles apart, some of the sins of her game at Mavs are being replicated at Bulleen.
At times she looses faith in her team mates and wants to take it all over and do it herself. A good point guard knows when to pass, shoot, or penetrate and I don't see that on Tess.
You could argue that her Mavs team mates didn't have what it takes but the fact is they played better as a unit when she allowed more of them to be involved in the game. She shouldn't lack any confidence in her Bulleen teammates but doesn't make good decisions down the stretch. Teams will know that and milk it.

Reply #400015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree #400015 you are spot on she was the same as a junior.

Reply #400041 | Report this post

Jax  
Years ago

^^Some good points made above^^. Tess does need to strike the balance of getting her own shot & getting her team mates involved & becoming a facilitator to do this. Tess needs to harness her shot selection at times & allow the game to come to her instead of forcing the issue with her shot selection. The PG spot is not suited to her current skill set & IMO she would be far more productive back in the 2 or 3 spot for Bulleen.

Reply #400100 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with the point made above that Tess will most likely learn a lot from the experience at PG and be a better player for it once back at SG.

Reply #400109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She might learn a lot but she's not a natural PG and never will be. She's a 2 and if i was her id be making sure next year Bulleen have a quality PG rotation to let her play as a 2 or look elsewhere to play because playing PG is hurting her career.

Reply #400110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More importantly it has been hurting the team. Look how well Bulleen performed against Logan on Saturday when the ball was distributed effectively by other PGs.

Reply #402520 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Will Tess play for Mavs again this year in CABL I wonder

Reply #402574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope QBL

Reply #402596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754