x
Years ago

36ers: Next year's lineup?

Just that usual thread we get once we all realize this season is done and look to the next one. Working on the assumption that all currently listed players are keen to stay, what would you do with the roster for next season?

Here i go:

C: L.Schenscher
PF: A.Petrie
SF/PF: S.Weigh
PG/SG: J.Cadee
PG/SG: A.Gibson

C/PF: Import big (not a budget import, a Hudson/Dunigan type)
SF/SG/PF: M.Creek
PG/SG: T.Daly

+2 budget guys outside of the rotation. A SG shooter as one. Massingale maybe.

Gone: DJ, Crosswell, Christopherson, Pero

Gibbo, Creek, Cadee, Weigh, Luke and Peach form a potential championship core that has to be retained. DJ can take his massive offensive potential elsewhere since it doesn't look like he'll ever shake the softness and defensive laziness. Find an import Big who wont need to be cut after 10 games.

Plus a new coach but please refrain from making this another sack marty thread.

Topic #30591 | Report this topic

Cats82  
Years ago

Dont think any player would wana play there to tell u the truth! Why would u? If the blaze were still around dont think the three wouldve signed! Perth or nz u would jump at the chance knowing u got a shot at winning a ring! All the best any wayz

Reply #399848 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good call X.

Creeky is someone we need to lock in. He will be an absolute Super Star and needs more minutes.

Luke. Has been like a 2 wood on a par 3. Rarely used. Under different leadership . . . .
Peach. If he is let go, it's time to go postal.
Stevie. We all know he is Marty's love child, but he does put in 100% and when he is free is shooting the ball well. Hustle on D. Worthy of a Sixers spot.
Gibbo. A superstar who is dripping with sweat when he comes of court. Lock him in.
Mungo. I think he's the weak link in the starting 5, but as Marty calls him, he's a slippery sucker. Can see him only getting better.
"Arthur" Daly. Is well worth of a Sixers spot. Has probably come on the radar of a few coaches. Reckon Gordie would be licking his chops to get him.

Gone: DJ, Crosswell, Christopherson, Pero

With Crossy, he has had a good career and needs to realise he needs to go out like Doug Anthony - rather than like John Howard. Christopherson; well, I don't know if he was the right choice for the Sixers, but an off season with someone like Centrals would help him. Pero. Marty needs to give him good minutes to build confidence instead of the junk time he has got. He might join Wade Helliwell on Hurls's semi-pro team.

DJ is very soft and needs some work. Offensively gets the job done, but D is missing. Perhaps, we should just call him J. Surely the coaching staff would be looking at his D and trying to improve it? I wouldn't be cutting J too quickly.

Reply #399851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Royce White as an import

Reply #399853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack DJ doesn't get it done offesively, he's an inefficient big who gets his numbers at a cost to the team, he makes me sick watching him. Use his money on an import.

Terrible teammate too.

Reply #399856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Working on the theory X that all current players are keen to stay has SFA to do with who is under contract.

Reply #399860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Gibbo would be likely to come back and DJ aint going nowhere.

Contracts at the end of this season:

Free agents: Weigh, Christopherson, Crosswell, Pero.

Gibson - Has an option for next season

Cadee & Creek - 1 year to go

Schenscher & Petrie - 1 year + option for another year left.

DJ - 2 years left on his contract.

Reply #399865 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Thanks for that info anon. Bad news re DJs contract.

Reply #399866 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Did DJ re-sign last season? i thought he signed a 3 year deal when Clarke came on and would be out of contract this off season?

That's just off the top of my head though, so I could (likely) be wrong.

Reply #399885 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

I be retaining

Schensher
Petrie
Cadee
Daly
Creek
Johnson
Gibson (may leave if Marty not around)

Need a Shooting Guard
Need a Point Guard

Tall Aussie from college

Time to go

Christopherson....cant handle NBL
Crosswell...Will retire
Pero ...will retire
Weigh ...out of contract he will go elsehwere if Marty not around

Reply #399888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Start from scratch.

Reply #399889 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Several seasons in hell . They finish earlier and earlier here . It's hard to think on that those 4 free agents would be here next season .

Reply #399892 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Johnson/Schenscher
Petrie/Edwards if cheap
Creek/rookie
Import 2-3/Cadee
Gibson/Daly

Reply #399893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can forget Gibson unless Joey gets the coaching job Gibbo is far to classy to hang around this joint Pero is finished should have been finished a few years ago. Cadee can stay but on less money or let him go back to the Waratah League

Reply #399899 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For those critical of DJ's rebounding, I'm not saying he's consistent or tough, and MPG would be a factor, but guess-rank these players by average offensive-boards this season. Then look it up.

Seth Scott
Luke Nevill
Daniel Johnson
Matt Burston
Ben Allen
Jacob Holmes
Mika Vukona
Shawn Redhage

Reply #399904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not just his rebounding Isaac that's the problem thought.

His terrible efficency, his attitude, his lack of D and his salary are major concerns.

Reply #399915 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I lmao when Petrie shoved Vukona out of court and then Vukona got all up in Johnsons grill thinking it was him lol.

Reply #399919 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac, my placement and the actual OR's per game and per minute of play

Mika Vukona (2.3, 0.105)
Shawn Redhage (1.9, 0.077)
Jacob Holmes (2.3, 0.073)
Seth Scott (1.7, 0.059)
Luke Nevill (1.7, 0.059)
Daniel Johnson (2.4, 0.083)
Matt Burston (1.6, 0.099)
Ben Allen (0.6, 0.045)

I underestimated DJ Surprised Burston right up there on ORs per minute.

The top ORer's per team based on OR's per minute of play.
ADE: Luke (0.111), Peach (0.102), J (0.083)
CNS: Trigger (0.090), Hill (0.085) Edwards (0.073)
MEL: Walker (0.104), Burston (0.099) Greer (0.074)
NZL: Hudson (0.154) Pledger (0.145) Vukona (0.105)
PER: Dunigan (0.142) Robbins (0.114) Knight (0.109)
SYD: Lazare (0.116) Dan (0.105) Crosswhite (0.103)
TWN: Holmes (0.073) Hinder (0.066) Abney (0.063)
WOL: Gruber (0.081) Davidson (0.065) Macmillan (0.057)

Top for the league:
Hudson (0.154) Pledger (0.145), Dunigan (0.142), Lazare (0.116), Luke (0.111)
Best pound for pound: Walker, Peach, Robbins, Hill

Reply #399944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Deal,

Yes DJ re-signed with the 36ers to a 3 year deal this past offseason (i.e. this is year 1 of that deal).

Reply #399959 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The year is not over, with ADL a chance to make the playoffs and you guys are already talking about who to boot and who to keep / bring in?

How do you think DJ will feel when fans want him gone @ Year 1 of a 3 year contract?

Reply #400002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MC, the 36ers are 2nd to bottom (again) with a 6-12 record (33%).

Reply #400009 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Hill and Burston love getting offensive rebounds
and are pretty good at it .

Reply #400011 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Yes....and WOL and SYD are floundering, opening it right up for virtually all punters to have a chance.

Shouldn't you support the team rather than call out who to boot?

Reply #400029 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Marcus, you are correct. The season's not over until the Fat Rat sings. The Sixers are two games out of the top 4 and still have a slight chance of making finals.

To do that, we need to win every game.

The best way to do that is keep it simple. Forget about flash plays where there's a dribble penetration that then gets kicked out to someone who does another dribble penetration, who then kicks it out to someone who then dribbles around the top to the wing, pass off, dribble to weakside, screen, dribble penetration, pass out, pump fake, dribble, pass...

The ball doesn't have to pass through everyone's hands like U12's before you can put a shot up. If you can get that rock in the bucket, even if it's after one pass, "just do it"

If the Sixers haven't dropped a rock in the bucket in 5 minutes of play and the others are scoring at will, there's a little thing called a timeout. Coaches use them to get control of the game and get their players back into the game. The NBL don't have a cash back scheme at the end of the season, so if you need 'em, use 'em.

Reply #400037 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

"How do you think DJ will feel when fans want him gone @ Year 1 of a 3 year contract?"

Lord knows the big guy needs something to get him to harden the FUIC up. Clearly the coaching staff isn't doing it. I'd welcome that 3-year contract with open arms if the guy learned how to play some D and show some heart out there.

Reply #400054 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its not a bad thing that DJ still has several years. As it seems that the current coach will be gone at the end of this season, the next few years will see DJ under a different coach and depending on who he is, DJ could improve immensely. I don't know why Clarke has not been tougher on DJ and snapped him out of his lazy habits. He is capable of being a star player, just needs a bit of professional guidance. For those who seem to think most of the team are going to walk after Clarke is gone, I can't see any justification to that. I am sure whoever has been part of the team for the last 3 seasons would not have enjoyed consistently losing games. Surely a new coach would have to be an attractive proposition for them. Once again, it depends on who its going to be.

Reply #400057 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm a wildcats member so I've only seen 36ers home games on nbl.tv but the first person I'd replace over there is the court side announcer!

That Breakers game a few weeks ago I was sure he died as the Breakers came back I couldn't hear him once trying to excite the crowd or do anything to get them involved and give the players a lift and it was very hard to watch.

As for who I'd keep around ATM I don't see what the big deal Mitch Creek is and felt he was given unwarranted minutes and I'd get rid of Croswell.

I'd keep Johnson and Christopherson (if he was playing under a Rob Beverige type offense of 'if your open, you better shoot' then we would see his skills on display and his confidence will grow so please get the young fella to throw some up and don't bench him if he goes 1-5).

As for Pero, he'd get more minutes in a Cairns, Sydney, Wollongong and Townsville jersey than Adelaide, heck he's better than Trueman and would get more minutes in Perth too so hopefully half decent big men like Pero and Helliwell stop signing for Adelaide and just end up sitting on the bench.

Reply #400076 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

RE: I'm a wildcats member so I've only seen 36ers home games on nbl.tv but the first person I'd replace over there is the court side announcer!

My sentiments exactly. Who likes to hear a countdown, then 4 times a game, "Make some noise for YOUR Adelaide 36ers", then followed by "Defence...Nice and Loud....DEFENCE....DEFENCE....DEFENCE?"

But apart from that; Creek, Schenscher, Johnson, Daly, Petrie, Gibbo, Weight, and maybe Cadee.

If imports are needed, find a European player for fark sake. There are so many talented players out there and yet everytime we want an import, we go str8 to america. shit!

I feel sorry for Jan Warbout, what exactly is his role? Warm the seat for the sub coming off?

Reply #400078 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Agree with EC totally on DJ. A new coach changes the whole perspective on an individual and a playing group. (Just ask the Crows) Look at Brad Hill; we all got told he was a 3 year plan, and in those 3 years he produced how many good to great games? Few. Look at him now at Cairns. The same with Aaron Bruce (minus the flop).

Time will tell next year when it all begins in earnest

Reply #400080 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Don't worry about who is in the lineup or who may be in the lineup. The first thing the Sixers need to do is recruit a top notch import guard who is a superstar. Someone as good as Jackson, Ervin, Lisch, etc. They need another Farley type. No more mucking around with cheap imports.

Reply #400091 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

and how to get a Jackson when you only have Massingale $ left after all your Aussie's?

Reply #400097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Pauls suggested line up of

Johnson/Schenscher
Petrie/Edwards if cheap
Creek/rookie
Import 2-3/Cadee
Gibson/Daly

2 tweaks i would consider if affordable are

Weigh as back up PF/SF instead of Edwards (likely a paycut for Weigh)
and/or
Brad Hill instead of the rookie SF (likely a min salary contracy)

on 2nd thoughts probably not be affordable/possible to bring in Weigh and Hill and a decent import guard so id be fairly happy with Pauls line up, with a decent coach and game plan that could be a strong team imo.

Hopefully we can get a star import sg/sf who can score 15-20pts consistantly and excite the crowd , ala Farley in 2002.

Reply #400103 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If Gibson stays then go with this

LukePetrie
JohnsonWeigh
CreekWeigh
Import SHOOTER (SGSF) Gibson
Gibson Cadee

Plus sign 2 players coming back from college before they start playing AFL ;)

The main point is to get a SG that actually wants/is allowed to shoot.
This seems to be tha biggest issue with this years team.
Don't know if it is the players or the coaching style, but no one seems confient enough to be a classic gunner and take over a game.
And no Gibson hasn't done it, as seen by the 8 game losing streak.

Ideally they could steal Madgen or Goulding and then use the import slot to replace Gibson or Weigh if they leave as free-agents.

Reply #400120 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Madgen and Goulding are both locked up for next year.

Reply #400122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the rotation Aussie Baller, keeping a main 8 man rotation.

Is Crosswell on more than minimum salary? if so you could replace him with Daly on min and use the extra cash on the import sg, i agree we need a gunner who has the confidence to take over games, eg Farley, funnily enough i think CJ could have given us this on the cheap, but was never used properly.

Pity i dont think we will see Madgen as a 36er any time soon, but would love it if he did play for us at some point,

hopefully we lock up his brother Jack in the future, even if he is half as good will be a good player off the bench, given his family id suggest he will be a quality player.

If we have to let Weigh go to get us the cap space for a quality import ala Pauls Line up, so be it, but would prefer to keep him as back up sf/pf and let Creek loose as starting sf.

My preferred line up would be something like

C Schenscher/Johnson
PF Weigh/Petrie
SF Creek/?? young guy (Weigh plays back up sf)
SG IMPORT scorer/Daly (Gibson slides to SG)
PG Gibson/Cadee

Hopefully replacing Crosswell and hopefully retaining Weigh for slightly less will give us enough cap space to spend around $100k on the import sg and hopefully we have a coach who picks them well, a coach like Geordie would get you quality for that (or less). So hopefully we have a coach who also can.

If you cant keep Weigh on less money replace him with a import on the cheap, i like Pauls suggestion of Edwards, not a star but a good role player and not getting star salary either, just a 7th-8th man, could also try bringing Dusty or Hill back for that role if they dont get retained/offered more at Cairns.

Reply #400131 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I agree with an earlier post and believe we MUST get a top notch import. Look at our history and when we have won or been challenging for the title , we have always had a Fantastic import. I would get rid of Crosswell , Pero no question. Then it becomes a matter of $$ so if you want that Silky import one of Luke , DJ or Gibbo would have to go. I wouldnt let Gibbo go so would release Luke. And really in a 40 minute game your Stars should play 35 plus and the bench are role players who play limited game time. If you are a pro and playing 1 game a week and cant play 38 plus minutes there is something wrong.

Reply #400133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Schenscher is contracted, and local. Why would you pay him out?

Reply #400140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt cut any of the contracted guys, my preference is to also keep Weigh, but if push comes to shove replacing Weigh and Crosswell with min salary guys and adding the difference to the import salary would give you 100-150k wouldnt it? Im hoping just letting Crosswell go would give them around 100k to spend on the import and be able to keep Weigh (possibly on reduced salary). Which with good selection is more than enough to get you a quality import guys like Ervin, Farley would have been in that range or less on there first stint.

If you were to cut a contracted big guy it would be Johnson imo even though he is the younger guy with more upside, Schenscher is from SA and well supported and also to me plays with more passion and effort than Johnson, as does Petrie, but id be keeping all 3, given they are under contract and are mostly playing fairly well.

Imo the big guys are not the problem, its a lack of a quality guard with Gibson, Cadee isnt there yet, our starting guards are struggling to score 15 between them and Gibson usually gets around 10, so Cadee is the weak link in the starting 5, i hope they bring someone in to start with Gibson next year and let Cadee prove himself and earn his minutes off the bench, as Creek has done the past couple of seasons. I am happy we have Cadee, he has good potential, just not there yet, Daly out played him last game being an indication of this.

I would really love to see what a coach like Trevor Gleeson could do with our team, he is the taks master Johnson needs, knows how to use Schenscher and shooters like Weigh. Gibson, Creek, Petrie are the types that will do well anywhere under any coach, as they always play hard and know there games. He hopefully can also find us a better import within the budget we have, he was better at it than Clarke anyway, his import guards have included Williams and Blalock 2 very good guards imo, not sure how expensive they were though, so hopefully we get a guy who can get a import of that quality.

My vote is for this line up

C Schenscher/Johnson
PF Weigh/Petrie
PG Gibson/Cadee

(At worse sign Dorsey as the import, he sounds as if he would be willing to come cheap enough)

With Trevor Gleeson as coach.

Reply #400164 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Understand that Luke is local and contracted but my point being to create cap space to sign the gun import i believe we need , one of Gibbo , DJ or Luke would need to be let go as you wouldnt be able to fit them all under the cap one would imagine.

Reply #400178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Release DJ not Luke!!!

Incredible.

Reply #400182 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I like Luke as a player but if the debate is who would you keep if you want to create salary cap space ( to sign a gun import ) surely you would pick a 24y/o Club MVP with great upside over a 31 y/o who has reached his capabilities.

Reply #400187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd pick the 31 year old who is probably on less money and is a decent post option that can create for himself and others. Sure he gets caught on the odd on-ball show occasionally but he can play some D against other bigs and change some shots.

I wouldn’t choose the 24 year old ball hog that can’t go five minutes without forcing a shot, sooks when he’s not on the court, can’t stay in front of anyone, doesn’t rotate defensively and is a chemistry killer.

Losing DJ is a plus both ways; it makes us better and immediately makes whatever team that picks him up worse (if he has to play big minutes, could be useful as a spark plug off the bench on small $$). The two biggest issues with this roster are the point guard situation and the fact that DJ is such a big part of it.

Reply #400193 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

you would think that Luke as a local player with NBA pedigree would make him an absolute keeper and at 31 Luke would still have a few years in the tank.

Reply #400195 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I would hardly touch the roster at all. Coaching is the problem atm.

Maybe bring in a bang around, physical big- Trueman, dowdell etc. If the money allows, depending on various departures from current group, would attack another 2 scorer. Newley would be the dream, but an import more likely.

Would be happy with basically the same team. Just different coaching direction.

Reply #400198 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Pure Silk, are you going to pay the $100k+ for Luke's contract? I doubt the owners would want to pay out his contract.

Weigh and Crosswells salary are enough to get a gun small forward.

Either way we are in a good position to get a good imports if Weigh or Gibson leave.

Reply #400204 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Fair call King James and it is an Interesting topic. I like Gibson and think with a really good import partner they would form an awesome duo and we all know that the NBL is a guards league so i wouldnt be letting him go unless he wanted to leave. Luke would be on fair $$ as would DJ so you are right , they would hardly pay out his contract. Dont think Crosswell would be on much , Weigh would be on good money but if you want to get a Jackson / Mee / Rucker / Farley type player you would have to give up more than Weigh and Crosswell wage IMO.

Reply #400218 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd favour keeping Weigh, but I'd put his salary towards an import if the alternative was paying out Schenscher (a local, generally liked by fans, and someone who's been part of successful teams each year he's been in the league?).

I don't see the point in gambling on an import PG if Gibson is available. How are you going to get an upgrade? Not going to outbid NZ for Jackson. Ervin is good, but I'd still be reluctant to get him at the expense of Gibson.

Coaching aside, I don't think we've been miles off the pace. And I think we have the depth to cover for deficiencies in individual games.

I'd not retain Crosswell, Vasiljevic and Christopherson. Crosswell's weaknesses balance his strengths. I'd rather have Dowdell than Pero. And Christopherson just hasn't cut it in any category sadly.

I'd be very keen to keep Gibson. Weigh would depend on what came up - I think he's been reliable and committed, but I think Petrie is more effective and needs as many minutes as he can play. Cadee is signed and should be kept, but I'd give him a good role off the bench rather than start him.

One thing that might prove problematic is that contracts for rising players often increase each year. I think this could be true of guys like Johnson, Cadee, Creek and maybe Schenscher. Not sure on Petrie.

Reply #400224 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

When is creek expected back?

Would keep weigh for sure. Really Don't understand all the criticism about him. Defends well, still youngish, rebounds well, sticks to the game plan (even though it does not help him at all), works hard, seems to be developing a bit of a passing game etc.

Gibson must be locked up for multiple years. Agreed, take him over a jackson or whoever else. He is a winner. Gibson and Damian Martin are two players you would simply just pick over various americans. Throw everything at him.

Why would Schenscher be released? No players need to be released at all. Like NBL clubs have the coin to just do that anyway.

Would favour a bang around player over vasiljevic.

My team-

Johnson Schenscher
Petrie Dowdell
Weigh Dorsey
Creek NG
Gibson Cadee

Realistic and affordable. No real forced changes, just complimenting inclusions. Like the idea of bringing schensch of the bench, in a similar way the bullets used Bradtke, plus prefer the balance with petrie. Certaintly doesn't mean less minutes for shensch.

Not sure what Ng is up to, but could use some shooting to balance creek style. Dorsey would have something to offer surely? Bet he regrets leaving Cairns.

Reply #400234 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Cadee/Daly
Gibson/Braswell
Import/Creek
Johnson/Petrie
Schenscher/Mottram

and send Weigh back to Perth ;)

Reply #400237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be concentrating on who will get the coaching job before anything else.

Reply #400238 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Have a good line up, and good coaches will be lining up.

Reply #400247 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I don't think too many changes need to be made to the current personnel. Signing the right coach is by far the most significant need this team has.

After that though, as long as Gibson still wants to be here, the Sixers must do everything to retain him. He has been our MVP by a country mile and is one of the best at his position in the league.

Our three bigs are all under contract for next season at least and I wouldn't want to cut any of them anyway.

The real problem with this team lies in the backcourt. Aside from Gibson, we have got nothing from our other guards all season.

I don't mind keeping Cadee to develop off the bench, but there is no way he should be starting. What we need is a quick, high quality combo guard who can create off the dribble and shoot. This would take the pressure off Gibson to be a star scorer, which I don't think is his real strength.

Obviously, to get a quality player like that, there'd need to be some money in the kitty. So if push came to shove, while I like his rebounding and defence, I'd let Weigh walk if I had to and bank on Creek developing at SF.

So I'd want to see this core:

Schenscher DJ
Petrie
Creek
Import G
Gibson Cadee

Then fill in the blanks with whoever is available and the team can afford.

Reply #400248 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I was just wondering about this damn awful points system and is it listed as imports 1 (and 2) or coaches decision or does it go by salary ?

I was wondering if Johnny Flynn is under the same points as Kevin Braswell was (say a 4) as Flynn should be higher than Kevin.

I was wondering if anyone could list the order of the 36ers and maybe help with this whole 'who you'd have next year'

Thanks, been a great convo so far

Reply #400252 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Beantown, I agree with everything you say except your comments on Weigh. Weigh has been a solid hard worker all season. He is also one of very few 3 point shooters in the team. I would let Pero go as he is an under utilised centre and we have 2 more. I would let the current import go and I would let Crosswell go. Surely 3 players going would create enough cap and salary space for a quality import guard. I know you want to cover against injuries but 1 quality player is better than 3 who either are not used or are not good performers (Crosswell turnovers, ouch).

Reply #400259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more i think about it we could basically keep this exact team, add Dorsey (on the cheap) for SC and Daly for Crosswell and get a coach like Gleeson and we would be fine.

I reckon those adjustments would be very affordable and easy to do, could basically do them right now if the club was willing to make another import change.

A back court of Gibson/Dorsey would be far better than what we have now, and still affordable.

I personally would bring Johnson off the bench in a spark plug scoring role and start Weigh at PF, (Creek SF) he is a strong enough rebounder and defender to play against most PF's in the NBL, and his 3pt shooting would spread the floor for Creek to drive and Schensch to move inside, in a similar way to how KB/Cat played Pf in the past.

Go with

C Schenscher/Johnson
PF Weigh/Petrie
PG Gibson/Cadee

The main 8 guys play around 25 mins a game each and Daly and young SF play spot minutes here and there.

This team is very affordable and well rounded imo, only 2 changes, really 1 as Daly is already in the program. Thats the frustrating part is how good our roster is and 1 minor tweak with the import spot and a better coach we could really have been up there, ah well atleast we have a good core of players signed for next season for our new coach to work with. Hopefully Gibson and Weigh stay.

Reply #400262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oops team of

C Schenscher/Johnson
PF Weigh/Petrie
SF Creek/?? young guy (Weigh/Dorsey plays back up sf)
SG Dorsey/Daly (Gibson slides to SG)
PG Gibson/Cadee

Reply #400263 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

So since we are stuck with DJ, which coaches do you guys think are most likely to fire him up and get him playing to his potential?

Could we get a head coach and then maybe an additional specific 'Softness and defensive ineptitude' coach especially for him?

Reply #400265 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

To start the team needs a coach who can coach men. I have said this before but Darnell Mee with Kevin Brooks would be two blokes who could handle the pressure, egos and when the games came down to the wire. They would have the contacts to find decent imports as well.
Retain the guys who are under contract but please try and to get Luke to realise that he is 7'2. Send him over to the states to work with Hakeem the Dream in the off season.

Reply #400267 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That's the most frustrating thing watching Luke. He gets fed the ball, but he appears to have been instructed to look to pass out to a free player, or wait until someone is free instead of slamming that thing into the bucket.

Reply #400270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mee and Brooks are both involved in coaching aswell arent they?

Loved them both as players, would be very interested to see how they would coach, i reckon they would do well and balance each other out well,

I'd pick Mee as head coach, PG smarts and a cool head and being a good communicator are great attributes for a coach and he showed these as a player,

Reply #400271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you have a good lineup without the coach being selected first? Contracted players will have a spot and that's all. The Sixers should be calling for applicants for the job right now. We all know that Clarke is out of contract at the end of the season. Advertise now and ensure that a head Coach is inplace as soon as the Free Agent's list is available. Otherwise weeks after the FA list is out they may get around to appointing a head coach. Too late.

Reply #400272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very True, definatly need to get a coach signed, hopefully behind the scenes they are talking to someone like Trevor Gleeson to get him involved for next season.

One tactic to move Marty out is for the club to announce publicly they wont sign Marty next year and are interviewing applicants for next season. He would possibly walk, as what happens in the AFL when this is done.

Reply #400278 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

I have heard that Darnell is coaching in US. I think at high school level. KB has coach locally and got the silverware with Woodville in his first year. He also was assistant to Cocks at the Gong.
The sooner the coach is in place the better.
I think if the league was strong enough and we had a youth league side Marty would be a great fit for the juniors.

Reply #400292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coaching decision has to come after Cole's due diligence. Was clearly stated in the club's last media release.

Reply #400294 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Far too many times this season has our backcourt tandem been sliced up. Cadee will be alright but shouldnt be starting. Gibbo needs to have an equal and if we leave it as status quo for next season the same things will happen.I honestly believe that our starers too should play the bulk of the 40 minutes and the bench/role players is exactly that. So barring injuries , fouls and the like they get limited minutes.

Reply #400322 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

EC, I think we are in furious agreement. If you notice, I said I'd let Weigh go ONLY if I had to.

What I was trying to say is that I think a good combo import guard is so important to the current team setup that I would even be willing to sacrifice Weigh if that was what it took.

Hopefully that wouldn't be necessary, though I think we need to pay Weigh as a role player and not a star (not sure if that is the case or not) because he is basically your Peter Ali/ Graham Kubank type player: Hard working, dependable, but not a star like many of us thought he was going to be when he was brought in from Perth.

Reply #400401 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Al Westover would be an interesting coach as would Shawn Dennis, Trevor Gleason, Joey Wright and Darryl McDonald.

As for who would bring the best out of DJ, it will be the soon ex coach Aaron Fearne of whom has struggled to get the best out of his team this year and 36ers are way more talented, and I'd like to see him coach in Adelaide

Reply #400489 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

Joey Wright makes sense for a bunch of reasons. We'll see.

Reply #400681 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Name 36 of them

Reply #400684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope someone is doing due diligence on Cole.

Reply #400694 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I would only look at Gleeson , Wright or Smyth. Anyone of those would be ideal IMO

Reply #400931 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754