clarky
Years ago

Hawks sign Malcolm Grant

Just saw on twitter that the Hawks have welcomed Malcolm Grant to the team, I'm assuming as a replacement for Lance Hurdle.

Grant looks to be a guard who played his college ball at the University of Miami.

Topic #30594 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Friend of Lance Hurdle's by chance.

Reply #399879 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Looks like the end of the mini-slump by the Hawks

Reply #399881 | Report this post

Timmy D  
Years ago

Same university that Hurdle went to.

Reply #399884 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Hurdle and Grant are good friends and he was the one that told the Hawks about Grant.

Reply #399887 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Looks the goods but i've also learnt from previous experiences not to always believe what people tell you.An American friend who played out here recommended me a guy who he played with in Germany and said he was a gun. Got out here and he was a fast talking chump!!!

Reply #399891 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdFTw6n-vng

Reply #399895 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

A PG, not a SG. Good move.

Reply #399911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks the goods but i've also learnt from previous experiences not to always believe what people tell you.An American friend who played out here recommended me a guy who he played with in Germany and said he was a gun. Got out here and he was a fast talking chump!!!

A concern is Malcolm Grant only averaged 7ppg, 1.7rpg, 1.1apg @ 37% (29% 3p) in 7 games in Cyprus before he 'left'.

Reply #399957 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Hehe if Clarke was picking him I would be concerned for the Hawks but Gordies got a pretty decent record with import picks.

Reply #399962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair record I would say. Guys like Showron Glover, Donavan Monroe & Joevan Catron also come to mind.

Reply #399972 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Catron could have been dominant if he could have adjusted to NBL refs a bit more quickly and actually utilised in the post.

Reply #399976 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Cheikh Ya Ya Dia
Willie Farley
Marquin Chandler
Mike Helms
Rod Grizzard
Tywain Mckee
Gary Ervin
Adris Deleon
Lance Hurdle

No you're right Anonymous.

Reply #399977 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Although he didn't "find" them.. Also coached
Bruce Bolden
Derek Rucker

Got the most out of them in their twilight years.

Sam Mackinnon, Simon Dwight & John Rillie had some of their best seasons under McLeod as well.

Reply #399978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am Nat, you left out Dave Gruber too plus others on past teams like Chris Brown, washed up Kevin Brooks etc.

I'm not saying he has a bad record with imports, it's fair. But I know the Hawks are your team and he's your coach so...

Reply #399979 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Didnt Chris Brown and a 'washed up Kevin Brooks' play at Hunter? I dont remember McLeod coaching them unless my memory is deserting me.

Reply #399981 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Correct. Brooks and Brown never played under McLeod. Both on the 2004 Hunter roster. 2003-04 was McLeod's last season in Sydney.

Gruber was signed with the knowledge he would become a naturalised Australian. And he has.. So it has worked out.

Reply #399987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats right got mixed up with the Pirates/Slingers licence thing.

Reply #399991 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Short stint in Cyprus wouldnt be a great concern. There can be many reasons for that.Just depends on the situation.I think they might of got a goody.

Reply #399994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

X, you're dreaming!

Reply #399996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who?.

Reply #400003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like he'll be okay based on his college stats compared to Hurdle. All the teams Gordies coached have had limited budgets too so for the price he gets good value usually

Reply #400004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this might even work out better than expected as deleon is a 2 and not a point runner - quite a few times in timeouts gordie got stuck into him last game for not running the offense and just going iso

Reply #400013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just imagine how good a team with a max budget would be under Gordie!

Reply #400249 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Grant was playing in Cyprus. Did not do a lot there but had a very good junior year at Miami in the ACC.

Checking out Cypriot basketball led me to this gem. Got me thinking that it will be a good place for Marty to get a gig next year. I think at good three year plan in the Cypriot league would get a team to the playoffs.

From Wiki

"The Cypriot First Division A of the Men's Basketball League is currently the top competition on the Cyprus Basketball calendar. It is run and governed by the Cyprus Basketball Federation. The 9 teams play each other twice (home and away) during the regular season, with the top 8 teams reaching the playoff stage."

Unfortunately when I read on he may not be the man for a job there.

"One team (the last one) at the end of the season is relegated to the second division, whilst one team from the second division is promoted."

Oh well.

Reply #400253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:08 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754