An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:31 am, Mon 15 Sep 2014 | Posts: 514,589 | Last 7 days: 1,479

Dunk Basketball Uniforms  

Advertising spot currently available.
Minimum three month period (1.5+ million page views, 92% Australian).
Email isaac@triplezero.com.au for rates and options.

clarky
Last year

Hawks sign Malcolm Grant

Just saw on twitter that the Hawks have welcomed Malcolm Grant to the team, I'm assuming as a replacement for Lance Hurdle.

Grant looks to be a guard who played his college ball at the University of Miami.

Report this topic

Isaac
Last year
07:53 21 Jan 13

Reply #399879

re: Hawks sign Malcolm Grant

Friend of Lance Hurdle's by chance.

Report this post

Jack Toft
Last year
07:57 21 Jan 13

Reply #399881

Looks like the end of the mini-slump by the Hawks

Report this post

Timmy D
Last year
08:48 21 Jan 13

Reply #399884

Same university that Hurdle went to.

Report this post

natwhereyouat
Last year
09:08 21 Jan 13

Reply #399887

Hurdle and Grant are good friends and he was the one that told the Hawks about Grant.

Report this post

Happy Days
Last year
09:21 21 Jan 13

Reply #399891

Looks the goods but i've also learnt from previous experiences not to always believe what people tell you.An American friend who played out here recommended me a guy who he played with in Germany and said he was a gun. Got out here and he was a fast talking chump!!!

Report this post

Pointguard
Last year
09:45 21 Jan 13

Reply #399895

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdFTw6n-vng

Report this post

x
Last year
10:51 21 Jan 13

Reply #399911

A PG, not a SG. Good move.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
13:53 21 Jan 13

Reply #399957

Looks the goods but i've also learnt from previous experiences not to always believe what people tell you.An American friend who played out here recommended me a guy who he played with in Germany and said he was a gun. Got out here and he was a fast talking chump!!!

A concern is Malcolm Grant only averaged 7ppg, 1.7rpg, 1.1apg @ 37% (29% 3p) in 7 games in Cyprus before he 'left'.

Report this post

skud
Last year
14:05 21 Jan 13

Reply #399962

Hehe if Clarke was picking him I would be concerned for the Hawks but Gordies got a pretty decent record with import picks.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
14:39 21 Jan 13

Reply #399972

Fair record I would say. Guys like Showron Glover, Donavan Monroe & Joevan Catron also come to mind.

Report this post

X
Last year
15:00 21 Jan 13

Reply #399976

Catron could have been dominant if he could have adjusted to NBL refs a bit more quickly and actually utilised in the post.

Report this post

natwhereyouat
Last year
15:02 21 Jan 13

Reply #399977

Cheikh Ya Ya Dia
Willie Farley
Marquin Chandler
Mike Helms
Rod Grizzard
Tywain Mckee
Gary Ervin
Adris Deleon
Lance Hurdle

No you're right Anonymous.

Report this post

natwhereyouat
Last year
15:05 21 Jan 13

Reply #399978

Although he didn't "find" them.. Also coached
Bruce Bolden
Derek Rucker

Got the most out of them in their twilight years.

Sam Mackinnon, Simon Dwight & John Rillie had some of their best seasons under McLeod as well.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
15:13 21 Jan 13

Reply #399979

I am Nat, you left out Dave Gruber too plus others on past teams like Chris Brown, washed up Kevin Brooks etc.

I'm not saying he has a bad record with imports, it's fair. But I know the Hawks are your team and he's your coach so...

Report this post

paul
Last year
15:20 21 Jan 13

Reply #399981

Didnt Chris Brown and a 'washed up Kevin Brooks' play at Hunter? I dont remember McLeod coaching them unless my memory is deserting me.

Report this post

natwhereyouat
Last year
15:39 21 Jan 13

Reply #399987

Correct. Brooks and Brown never played under McLeod. Both on the 2004 Hunter roster. 2003-04 was McLeod's last season in Sydney.

Gruber was signed with the knowledge he would become a naturalised Australian. And he has.. So it has worked out.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
15:48 21 Jan 13

Reply #399991

Thats right got mixed up with the Pirates/Slingers licence thing.

Report this post

Happy Days
Last year
15:56 21 Jan 13

Reply #399994

Short stint in Cyprus wouldnt be a great concern. There can be many reasons for that.Just depends on the situation.I think they might of got a goody.

Report this post

Isaac
Last year
15:58 21 Jan 13

Reply #399996

X, you're dreaming!

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
16:16 21 Jan 13

Reply #400003

Who?.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
16:19 21 Jan 13

Reply #400004

Looks like he'll be okay based on his college stats compared to Hurdle. All the teams Gordies coached have had limited budgets too so for the price he gets good value usually

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
17:03 21 Jan 13

Reply #400013

this might even work out better than expected as deleon is a 2 and not a point runner - quite a few times in timeouts gordie got stuck into him last game for not running the offense and just going iso

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
20:37 22 Jan 13

Reply #400249

Just imagine how good a team with a max budget would be under Gordie!

Report this post

fstos
Last year
21:03 22 Jan 13

Reply #400253

Grant was playing in Cyprus. Did not do a lot there but had a very good junior year at Miami in the ACC.

Checking out Cypriot basketball led me to this gem. Got me thinking that it will be a good place for Marty to get a gig next year. I think at good three year plan in the Cypriot league would get a team to the playoffs.

From Wiki

"The Cypriot First Division A of the Men's Basketball League is currently the top competition on the Cyprus Basketball calendar. It is run and governed by the Cyprus Basketball Federation. The 9 teams play each other twice (home and away) during the regular season, with the top 8 teams reaching the playoff stage."

Unfortunately when I read on he may not be the man for a job there.

"One team (the last one) at the end of the season is relegated to the second division, whilst one team from the second division is promoted."

Oh well.

Report this post

Reply to this topic

Name Email

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Hopscotch 16

Title
Rules: You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players.
Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

94Fifty

Recent Posts