Anonymous
Years ago

Replace Keneally with Nick Marvin

Please tell me one thing that Keneally has done to help the NBL grow since CEO of BA? Nick Marvin from Perth should be running the show in this country. Thoughts?

Topic #30603 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to note the number of supporters blindly praising her hiring when it happened, claiming that it would open up BA to a significant group of corporate bodies to gain more financial backing. She's done anything but so far...

Reply #400250 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

In all fairness she hasn't been in the role that long in the scheme of the things.

In saying that. I totally agree with Nick Marvin running the league/the game in Australia.

Reply #400255 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

Unfortunately the sport needs someone who has the balls to make some decisions to regain the market share it once had. The person in the role currently doesn't have a set

Reply #400269 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think Nova Peris should be elevated to the top job.

Reply #400273 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

U need money!! That's the differnce perth has, nbl hasnt!

Reply #400277 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Between her, CJ Bruton and Aaron Fearne there are too many messed-up accents in Australian basketball right now. Something's gotta give.

Reply #400286 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

#30603 and others.

You do all realise that the CEO of BA job is significantly more than simply running the NBL don't you?

Managing State issues, representing the sport to the Sports Commission, international basketball obligations, negotiating funding (not sponsorship) etc etc.

So here's two quick views. On one hand I too am not convinced about Keneally, although I was enthusiastic when she was making noises while chair.

On the other, Marvin, who has done a great job with Perth, is an NBL club manager. Here is the context of that:

- one team, dedicated and simple market
- benevolent owner
- friendly press
- inherited an enormous tradition of success

So everything I see of Marvin I like, but that does not mean he has the wherewithal to run the sport of basketball in this country, as opposed to a relatively strong club in a very weak league.

Great players do not necessarily make great coaches, likewise great club CEO's do not necessarily make the grade as sports CEO's. Brian Cook was overlooked for Demetriou, and Cook is a brilliant AFL club manager - but Demetriou has turned out to be a superb choice as AFL CEO.

Reply #400297 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Agree with HO's second last paragraph.

A criticism I often see of KK is that she was meant to bring government dollars with her, due to her political connections. I don't recall her ever claiming that.

Reply #400323 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

When she first started she gave the Government a serve over the funding they'd just put into soccer .
It was love at first sight ! What a sight !!
Don't mind watching a bitta NBL on TV , even though hoolahoops prefer a man , Dean Parker then .

Reply #400328 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Saw her on ABC for an interview last year. Everything she had to say as to the reason NBL is on decline was stupid. She has no idea what she is doing and what needs to be done. Not to mention she clearly has zero knowledge of its past history other than the NBL used to be successful

Reply #400335 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Oh and Nick Marvin has excelled in Perth firstly all due to one important thing, he got everyone on the same page. Kennelly couldn't if she invited all the owners for a private lap dance

Reply #400337 | Report this post

Android6  
Years ago

You people realise Nick Marvin is working for a deep pocketed owner?

Not questioning the success of the Wildcats, it's great to see what can be done. Their promotion is 2nd to none, but so is their budget (exc NZB), to see the streets of Perth lined with flags takes organisation, but it also takes $$$

Reply #400433 | Report this post

Android6  
Years ago

HO, well said.

Reply #400434 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Takes more than dollars. Also takes sense. You could give the 6ers marketing and office $10,000,000 and they would waste it all and still not get nearly the results Perth has. After hearing him speak about what it was like before getting in the job, it's pretty easy to see it took a shit load more than dollars to make everything happen. If dollars = success, then go have a quick look at USFL when Trump decided to get involved

Reply #400521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754