wak
Years ago

No word on Farley?

Anybody got any news? The supposed deadline, noted in one of the articles last week, was today whether he signs or Sixer's look elsewhere.

Topic #3062 | Report this topic

Degenerate  
Years ago

I heard he is getting $600 US more to his salary in a little section in the paper... If he stays I guess

Reply #35037 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Heard he's getting a new house, also mentioned somewhere in one of those articles... but I could be wrong.

Reply #35042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They ain't giving him a house!

Reply #35044 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

myabe distinctive homes have offered to give him some help.. but I doubt they just gave him one!

ShaneD

Reply #35057 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

heard he's getting his own stadium too ... but again, could be wrong

Reply #35066 | Report this post

Tar Heel  
Years ago

heard he's getting a helicoper with a chicken as the pilot.. but i could be wrong

Reply #35074 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Does it have an ejection seat in case of emergency?

Reply #35078 | Report this post

saint Nick  
Years ago

Why wouldn't the Sixers look at supplementing his income per year with a house? If they offer him a $300,000 house in Golden Grove or West Lakes and $80,000 cash a year that would equate to$180,000 a year

In say 10 years time that $300,000 house may have doubled in value so he has gained a good investment.

$100,000 per year for the house and $80,000 in cash isn't that difficult to arrange and would be easy to find a loop hole in the salary cap especially if 'Distinctive homes' goes half for a player sponsorship deal or has Willy farley work at the show rooms for 3 mornings a week ($50,000 per year for a part time job) helps out with the deal

Reply #35095 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

St Nick, All those number you have floated around have to be accounted for under the salary cap. If the offer was for $180,000 just pay him $180,000 in cash. Too much messing around, and at the end of the day it's the end figure that matters regardless on how they get to that figure.

Reply #35099 | Report this post

saint Nick  
Years ago

Of course it has to be counted under the salary cap, but there is always a way to get around that.

The sixer's board are trying to find ways to cut costs and by all accounts they are trying to save some cash on the salary caps available. By introducing a salary sacrifice (as it is also introduced in to mainstream employment) the board could find a way to over come some possible cash flow problems.

If Willy Farley could get a $50,000 personal sponsorship deal with Distinctive Homes to do some promotional work it will take some of the strain away.

Reply #35103 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

with current administration, hell would freeze over b4 they "supplement" the income of a player,

Reply #35108 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I understand your thinking, but didn't this method cause problems in both the AFL and NRL.

I'm not sure if it's allowed. If that's the case why wouldn't a team find some 'corporate sponsor' or let's say a 'rich' individual sponsor and get that person or corporate sponsor to say to a player that if you play for the 36ers I personally will give you $500k a year, but you have to sign with the club for $1 a year. What would the point of a salary cap be then???????

You could have a $10 million dollar roster that costs the club a buckets full of change. The NBL would never allow it.

Reply #35109 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

3rd Party payments can be very sticky . Not a great idea.
Probably not legal either..

Reply #35114 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

what about 'bonuses' from a sponsor if the team wins? I remember olympians got new car/cash when the got gold medals or broke a world record.
If the team wins they all get something, and for personal achievements ie Farley (or whoever we get) gets triple double and gets new pair of socks, or something.

Surely this could not be on salary cap as is dependent on performance, it's not a salary.

Reply #35115 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

oh, and another point...

How can olympians be classified as 'amateurs' when they get cash bonus for achievements? Someone's found a way around legalities there.

Reply #35117 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

hope i don't get sued for those comments above!

Reply #35118 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Another idea....

You could get the bench to mop/sweep floors, sell hotdogs, dress up as the infernal bird, do there own cheer-leading, substitute as the scoring bench, to save some extra bucks!

Reply #35123 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

oh...performance bonuses not salary??

cool...that will save me about $5k on my child support assesment next time round.

im afraid they are salary.....and it's not the 6ers that make those rules.

remember last time 6ers got done for breaching salary cap?? all because they included cars for the players, and the nbl counted it in the cap.

Reply #35137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I believe that they could supplement a player's income with help from sponsors as long as it worked within the cap. If they are voluntarily spending under the cap, then this could be an option. However, I believe that support from sponsors may have declined in recent years so the club may be hard pressed to get more.

That said, I do believe that Farley is friends with the guys from Distinctive. That doesn't mean that it's a sensible business decision for them to pop up with loads of extra cash.

Not sure about current contracts, but some players have had finals bonuses in their past contracts.

With regard to providing product as part payment, there may be advantages in the retail vs wholesale pricing of these items. e.g., providing Portside Mitsubishi or City Mazda cars as part of a salary package.

Reply #35141 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why can't he hold a 2nd job. If he did promotional work for Distinctive Homes or any of the other sponsors and was paid directly by the sponsor, how would that affect the salary cap? It would have nothing to do with the salary cap at all or the NBL for that matter. In any other industry, you can hold more than one job where each job is quite independent of each other.

Reply #35145 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends. I think that it can be cleared by the NBL if he is definitely doing the work for a reasonable market rate, but they would never get something like $50,000 for 5 appearances per year, or something like that.

He would need to be putting in 10-20 hours a week of real work. I think they'd possibly have to be proved that the player was a reasonable applicant for a position too.

Reply #35146 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

wak, olympians arn't covered by a salary cap that's why they got those Commodores etc etc. Do olympians get paid to represent their country, I honestly don't know.

What's the going rate for a gold medal or world record at the moment. How much money does Swimming Australia pay Grant Hackett of that mullet wearing Ian Thorpe to swim for Australia??? Probably bugger all.

Reply #35147 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Im farley sure theres no word on Farley

Reply #35214 | Report this post

AsIseeIt  
Years ago

What's the big problem? Simply ring up that prick at Sydney and ask how they manage the salary cap each year- and not get fined.
Do Sydney have a franchise team further North with the same system allowing Bradke and Co to all sign up?

Reply #35237 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Channel 10 News today said they can put farley issue to rest ... They genrenterd that he will sign in the next couple of days ....

Reply #35268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

genrenterd...?

Reply #35271 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

AsIseeIt, apparently the NBL needs Brisbane to win a premiership for the league to survive... oh, hold on, that was Sydney!

Reply #35324 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:32 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754