Isaac
Years ago

New Orleans Pelicans expected to be announced

The New Orleans Hornets are prepared to announce they are changing their name to the New Orleans Pelicans, effective for the 2013-14 season, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Visiting the Hornets' team site sends you first to a large clock counting down to 3 p.m. ET on Thursday, the same time the franchise is set to hold a news conference.

"The Hornets are making a special announcement tomorrow at 3PM!," the site says.
They're also expected to change their colour scheme to gold and navy.

The pelican is Louisiana's state bird.

Topic #30623 | Report this topic

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I thinks that a great move. New Orleans is one of the best cities in the US, but the Hornets - I just couldnt see a connection with the Hornets and New Orleans. To me the Hornets is Charlotte. New Orleans just seemed to be the city that hosted the Hornets. Which is a shame because there is a lot of potential there and the New Orleans market seemed to be wasted.

Changing to the Pelicans will enable the team to be more connected to the city.

Reply #400567 | Report this post

UP North  
Years ago

Look for the Bobcats to take the Hornets name back in a few years too

Reply #400575 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Maybe LA can change their name to the Gang-Bangers and Minnesota can take the Lakers name back? (yeah it was the Minneapolis Lakers, but same thing).

Reply #400582 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

New Orleans Jazz.....oh I see what happened there : )

Reply #400601 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

Charlotte Hornets
New Orleans Jazz
Charlotte Hornets

Sorted.

Reply #400652 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I remember when Baron Davis was playing for the Hornets suggested changing there name to the New Orleans Blues.

Reply #400657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754